The Thyroid Thread

Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Good news Wendy.

Yes, agree that after feeling ill for years I had totally forgotten what it felt like to be full of energy and 'vim' again (does anyone still say that?) )
I've rediscovered that again... it feels so good. Never take that for granted again.

I believe Matt uses the word 'Vim'
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:08 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by Wendy
I believe Matt uses the word 'Vim'
Well I'll never take Matt for granted ever again.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:10 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

If I'd listened to my doc in the UK, I'd probably be dead by now.
You and me both.......but not all docs are like that thankfully

If someone is feeling 80% ok........then their treatment isnt working is it? Which then takes you back to my comment.......thats when you need to research it. I'm not missing anything......if it aint broke......dont fix it.......simple really

Dont take it personally mate. You know that I've had my fair share of thyroid problems/treatments/doctors too - but not all are bad and I wouldnt like to think that newly diagnosed sufferers are worrying that treatment isnt going to work for them......for many many sufferers it works fine, they get their dosage, and life goes on as normal. Let the docs do their job is all I'm saying.........and if that doesnt work for you start looking into getting a new doc and reading all you can. But dont let it take over your life. It is a condition that can dramatically change your life (as was the case for me) but it doesnt have to be like that forever

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Feb 26th 2008 at 3:24 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo

If someone is feeling 80% ok........then their treatment isnt working is it? Which then takes you back to my comment.......thats when you need to research it. I'm not missing anything......if it aint broke......dont fix it.......simple really

Dont take it personally mate. You know that I've had my fair share of thyroid problems/treatments/doctors too - but not all are bad and I wouldnt like to think that newly diagnosed sufferers are worrying that treatment isnt going to work for them......for many many sufferers it works fine, they get their dosage, and life goes on as normal. Let the docs do their job is all I'm saying.........and if that doesnt work for you start looking into getting a new doc and reading all you can. But dont let it take over your life. It is a condition that can dramatically change your life (as was the case for me) but it doesnt have to be like that forever

Absolutely. Anyone who has just been diagnosed with it really needs to give it at least three months on their initial dosage and spend the next 9 - 12 months fine tuning the dosage. Then if it's still not right, start looking at other things. The majority will feel great after that first 6 - 12 month period, and never have any other problem at all.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:31 am

I'm not taking anything personally. We're just having a discussion, aren't we?

You're missing my point. If they're feeling 80% ok and their doctor tells them that it's all they can expect... then many take that as gospel. Or perhaps they've forgotten what it feels like to be totally well.
Prime example is my mother, for example.
Hashi's done terrible damage to her and she still believes her doctor.
Thought natural thyroid might give her mad cow disease.
As a result she looks and behaves like an 80 yr old. Very sad.
That's all I'm saying.

Of course not all doctors are like that, but there are many who are. Therefore, and in my opinion only, it pays to know what questions to ask to see how well informed they are and whether they're up on other options.

Goodness, I don't let it take over my life at all. I'm interested in my health, but actually can converse about all sorts of other things too.
It's just, well, this is a thyroid thread, so....
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
Absolutely. Anyone who has just been diagnosed with it really needs to give it at least three months on their initial dosage and spend the next 9 - 12 months fine tuning the dosage. Then if it's still not right, start looking at other things. The majority will feel great after that first 6 - 12 month period, and never have any other problem at all.
Indeed. Agree with this totally.

T4 meds worked pretty well though not 100% for me. Within a few days of taking them, I was able to get out of bed for the first time in ages without that terrible back pain.
I used to have to 'warm up' just to get out of bed by stretching. God, I was a total wreck.

The T4 I took for a couple of years I think before it stopped working. I lost the majority of my weight with it. I think it stopped working for me due to stress possibly... who knows.
Huge reverse T3 though, so need T3 to get rid of that of course.

I think as long as you have a symptoms doc rather than a numbers doc, you're in the money.
Treat it till there's no symptoms, rather than the numbers being right.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:24 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

it pays to know what questions to ask to see how well informed they are and whether they're up on other options.
That much I completely agree with - if you dont feel right and the docs telling you that you're fine.....you need to educate yourself and know what questions to ask.......and to know what the answers SHOULD be.

A good example here is when I had my thyroidectomy (in Australia) they didnt feel it necessary to tell me that I also had Hashimotos. It was only when I read the report and it stated 'in a background of lymphocytic thyroiditis' that I found out (because I had done my homework and knew what that was). But obviously this was way way down the line and a lot had happened leading up to this point. Had I been medicated and experienced no problems at all........and felt fine.......I wouldnt have looked any further into it.

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Feb 26th 2008 at 5:29 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:40 am

That much I completely agree with - if you dont feel right and the docs telling you that you're fine.....you need to educate yourself and know what questions to ask.......and to know what the answers SHOULD be.

A good example here is when I had my thyroidectomy (in Australia) they didnt feel it necessary to tell me that I also had Hashimotos. It was only when I read the report and it stated 'in a background of lymphocytic thyroiditis' that I found out (because I had done my homework and knew what that was). But obviously this was way way down the line and a lot had happened leading up to this point. Had I been medicated and experienced no problems at all........and felt fine.......I wouldnt have looked any further into it.
Yes, I remember you telling me that. Amazing how they never told you before.

Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:43 am

Yes, I remember you telling me that. Amazing how they never told you before.

I know........you've gotta laugh havent you.......the surgeon didnt tell me and then when I spoke to my Endo he said....'yes thats right, doesnt really matter now though because the thyroids gone'
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:47 am

I know........you've gotta laugh havent you.......the surgeon didnt tell me and then when I spoke to my Endo he said....'yes thats right, doesnt really matter now though because the thyroids gone'
Well, he had a point. But it might have saved you earlier grief.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:43 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Thyroid Thread

I agree totally with what is being said about listening to donkey doctors and not listening to yourself.
The doctor said that I had 'fatty tissue' - the saddlebags on my knees - they miraculously dissappeared since I took the water tablets and then I decided after listening to all his crap which is obviously sh1t I put my dosage up to 150mg instead of 120mg and feel so much better!!!One of the doctors is leaving our surgery, unfortunatley not the donkey one, but thought I'd see who they replaced him with whilst shopping around for another locally.
J x
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Nice to see this thread, I was diagnosed with post partum thyroiditis 4 months after the birth of my baby girl. I was like ok, so whats that. My thyroid was so over -active it made my system sluggish and swollen, it then went up and down and in all that time I retained water and could not lose weight and was referred to a endocrinologist. My symptoms included, pins and needles, extreme dizziness and sickness and feeling in general pretty crap.

I was also given water tablets and the chemist said wow these are strong, I said, I know but i do look like Moomin troll I need them....... Guess what they didn't work at all.

I also have both parents with under active thyroids so was monitored very closely like bloods once a week.

This has all settled now and my thyroid is back to normal and my cholesterol which went up while my thyroid was out due to a raise in a certain hormone. I started the Tony Ferguson diet and it seemed to kick start everything and I have lost 6.5Kg in 4 weeks.

The main thing about thyroid issues is you do not realise how much this little sucker manages in your body and how much it can affect you.

Good luck and wishes of well health to all x x

Last edited by Carrianne; Feb 26th 2008 at 7:47 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:15 am

Well done Carrianne. Sounds like you're back to normal.

Hope you remain well, though if it kicks up again, you'll spot it immediately.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I agree totally with what is being said about listening to donkey doctors and not listening to yourself.
The doctor said that I had 'fatty tissue' - the saddlebags on my knees - they miraculously dissappeared since I took the water tablets and then I decided after listening to all his crap which is obviously sh1t I put my dosage up to 150mg instead of 120mg and feel so much better!!!One of the doctors is leaving our surgery, unfortunatley not the donkey one, but thought I'd see who they replaced him with whilst shopping around for another locally.
J x
Its good to hear that you are feeling better J but you seriously need to be VERY careful with self medicating. Make sure you get your bloods checked within the next 4-6 weeks to know where you're at.

Good luck with your search for a new doc
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:26 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Its good to hear that you are feeling better J but you seriously need to be VERY careful with self medicating. Make sure you get your bloods checked within the next 4-6 weeks to know where you're at.

Good luck with your search for a new doc
I will be very careful. The thing is my doctor thinks that because you are within the range, regardless if this is the lower end, you are fine.
My point is that during this time I put on 3 stone from stopping smoking and the levels were getting towards the borderline and felt really sluggish, but he never said to increase the dosage if you get what I mean.
You sound like you've been through the mill - pardon the pun hope you are feeling better too.
Will keep you updated
J x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.