Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:42 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Yes, but not all Woolworths carry them, as with Coles, there is a lot of variation between stores.
Most of them will, John West is a very common brand here, but I suppose a few may not.

As for the cornflour, my beef is that it's called cornflour when it's not.
I would buy the one made with corn if I had that problem. That white wings cornflour, made from corn, is a major supplier here.

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but not all Woolworths carry them, as with Coles, there is a lot of variation between stores. I usually find that if I'm baking, I won't get what I need at Woolworths. As for the cornflour, my beef is that it's called cornflour when it's not. It's like those crabstick things - God know what they're made of, but it's sure not crab.
They're made of 'seafood extender'!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Noticed in our local woolies and coles milk has suddenly dropped to $1 a litre

Not sure if its to distract us from the fact that meat and veg seem to have doubled in the last 2 weeks.

Or a clever marketing ploy, who doesnt buy milk? so their number one seller gets a reduction.

Or it might be none of that a new aldi opened a month ago and I havent seen the carpark empty yet.
There is a milk price war on at the moment...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225994489010

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paulry
Glad to hear that Costco is coming to Canberra. But not sure exactly where and when
Later this year at the Brand Depot site. After the Sydney one has got going.

Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
c) That free range eggs are often sold by the same producers of the bastard caged battery eggs. Why do they think that someone would buy eggs produced by their happy wandering around chickens when in a nearby shed they've got 1000s rammed in suffering disgusting conditions?
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've never seen that. I would be interested to see examples.
A major egg supplier in WA is Golden Farm Eggs and they supply caged eggs, barn laid and free range: http://www.goldeneggs.com.au/about_products_golden.asp

I always buy free range and always WA eggs - if the supermarket doesn't sell them, I don't buy the alternative. I must check with Coles and Woolworths if they sell WA eggs here.

More info on eggs from the Australian Egg Corporation Ltd http://www.aecl.org/egg-corp-assured/assured-business. You can look up individual farmers in each state and see who has accreditation.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Followed by...but you can pack yer own ******* bags while we launch all of your bruisables down the conveyor belt faster than the take off any space shuttle you care to name......
Lol.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:27 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

A major egg supplier in WA is Golden Farm Eggs and they supply caged eggs, barn laid and free range: http://www.goldeneggs.com.au/about_products_golden.asp

I always buy free range and always WA eggs - if the supermarket doesn't sell them, I don't buy the alternative. I must check with Coles and Woolworths if they sell WA eggs here.

More info on eggs from the Australian Egg Corporation Ltd http://www.aecl.org/egg-corp-assured/assured-business. You can look up individual farmers in each state and see who has accreditation.
I certainly won't support an egg supplier who is happy to cage any birds in their farm. It renders the whole exercise of attempting to exercise ethics in your food choices completely pointless if you patronise a cage farmer! Bizarre they don't seem to hide the fact they sell all types....
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:36 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

In Vic, its meant to be banned by the end of next year. However I think that "barn laid" eggs are not any better. Theres 5 million chooks crammed into a 10 ft shed.....they will peck the crap out of each other and have nowhere to go to get away from it. They wont all be out in the sunshine, dust bathing, stretching out and having their nails done. Apart from not having wire under their feet, there is no difference, in fact for those at the bottom of the pecking order, life will be hell!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:45 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

In Vic, its meant to be banned by the end of next year. However I think that "barn laid" eggs are not any better. Theres 5 million chooks crammed into a 10 ft shed.....they will peck the crap out of each other and have nowhere to go to get away from it. They wont all be out in the sunshine, dust bathing, stretching out and having their nails done. Apart from not having wire under their feet, there is no difference, in fact for those at the bottom of the pecking order, life will be hell!
Yep, free range only - I can't help looking in people's trolleys at the supermarket and really having to bite my tongue when I see them buying anything else.... I don't know if it is ignorance or some people just genuinely don't care about the poor creatures.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There will be a level playing field in my joint - a single roost. All chooks will be equal..encouraged to excel...to their full potential..
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:48 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Yep, free range only - I can't help looking in people's trolleys at the supermarket and really having to bite my tongue when I see them buying anything else.... I don't know if it is ignorance or some people just genuinely don't care about the poor creatures.
I suppose when you are skint, paying $5 for 12 when you can pay $2 is a factor...Feed your family or...worry about some chooks that get slaughtered after a year anyway???

I have my own hens so dont buy eggs....
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There will be a level playing field in my joint - a single roost. All chooks will be equal..encouraged to excel...to their full potential..
You need a couple if you have a few hens...theres ALWAYS a pecking order and I have 3 that sleep above 2...thats the way it is and I dont mess!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You need a couple if you have a few hens...theres ALWAYS a pecking order and I have 3 that sleep above 2...thats the way it is and I dont mess!
I know how it is...as a male of the species I know all about pecking orders... and no amount of cock can elevate the position ..
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that most Australian consumers are as aware of food issues as Brits and others. They don't seem bothered by the various additives, weird (to us) flavours, lack of choice. If you get a chance, try to watch Food Inc, a US film, but relevant for us all http://www.sbs.com.au/films/movie/4897/Food-Inc. Link to transcript of an old Four Corners program about chicken farming in Australia: http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/s380300.htm
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:04 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That's where they have it right in the UK with their "if there's more than one customer in front of you, we'll open another till" approach.
Not in my Waitrose they don't! I've actually contacted them about it as they have fewer and fewer tills open these days despite it getting busier all the time. Didn't even bother replying. They've gone downhill a lot since we moved to London whereas we've noticed a distinct improvement in our local Sainsburys. Cheaper too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.