Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Long-distance Personal Training - bit of a weird concept, but it seems to work
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:06 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I hope you win that battle!
Some battles in certain circumstances are unwinnable.

OH: "...happy chickens?? ....How absurd!"

Last edited by paulry; Jan 26th 2011 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Vegetarian? You are in the wrong place

Dips? I dunno, never struck me as a problem ... The cheese is very variable, we tend to stick with Nimbin for 'cheddar like' taste. Mayo I wouldn't know, I cover everything in Chilli Sauce which may account for why I am content

Well I thought it was only my husband that covered everything in Chilli Sauce

Will have to try that cheese
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:27 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point. Not seen much in the way of Mayo on the shelves
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:36 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
Well I thought it was only my husband that covered everything in Chilli Sauce

Will have to try that cheese
Nope, I am familiar with all popular varieties of chilli sauce and can match one to a dish perfectly

I also eat a silly amount of onion, raw ... social chap I am

The Nimbin is good, so good we stock up on it 'cos sometimes Woolies doesn't have it in. Not gourmet you understand, just cracking cheese (Gromit).
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:05 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Nope, I am familiar with all popular varieties of chilli sauce and can match one to a dish perfectly

I also eat a silly amount of onion, raw ... social chap I am

The Nimbin is good, so good we stock up on it 'cos sometimes Woolies doesn't have it in. Not gourmet you understand, just cracking cheese (Gromit).

I love raw onion too - Have to cut up two for chilli etc as I will have consumed one long before it gets into the wok.

My pet supermarket hates are:

1. Awful, terrible illogical layout. I think that both Coles and Woolies employ Stevie Wonder to do the layouts for them.

2. Portion sizes. How come they are either for feeding a family of 8 or not quite enough to satisfy a small dog? There never seems to be any middle ground.

3. Cheese. How can there be so many different varieties of cheddar style cheese that all taste the same - i.e. bland and of nothing - and only ONE type of blue cheese?

4. No cheap lo-cal lemonade. Sadly I really miss this from Asda - It was about 20p for 2 litres, and was a great mixer for fruit juice, cordial etc, and didn't make me fat. I used to buy bottles of the stuff but here I can't find a similar product.

5. Spice. how come everything is always 'Mild' or 'Medium'? Where do you buy the extra super hot stuff? This is particularly noticeable in dips (See Turban Explorer's comments). There are never hot dips for sale!

I'm sure there are more too. I also hate people who say "You should really go to your local <insert supplier here> instead of the supermarket." When I complain about quality/quantity/availability of stock. They may have time for trailing around a plurality of individual suppliers, but I don't! As Brian Potter said "All under one roof!"

S
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Why its so bloody expensive to eat healthy.......
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I love raw onion too - Have to cut up two for chilli etc as I will have consumed one long before it gets into the wok.
Same here . It's especially good chopped and mixed into a tuna salad

My pet supermarket hates are:

1. Awful, terrible illogical layout. I think that both Coles and Woolies employ Stevie Wonder to do the layouts for them.

2. Portion sizes. How come they are either for feeding a family of 8 or not quite enough to satisfy a small dog? There never seems to be any middle ground.
They also have a tendency of producing packs which don't suit the average 4 person family size. For example packs of 7 sausages/chicken drumsticks

3. Cheese. How can there be so many different varieties of cheddar style cheese that all taste the same - i.e. bland and of nothing - and only ONE type of blue cheese?

4. No cheap lo-cal lemonade. Sadly I really miss this from Asda - It was about 20p for 2 litres, and was a great mixer for fruit juice, cordial etc, and didn't make me fat. I used to buy bottles of the stuff but here I can't find a similar product.
Before we left I noticed the prices of these products were becoming more expensive in the UK. Over here, Woolworths seems to have a decent range of lo-cal fizzy pop at around 69c / litre. Looking at the big brand names it's shocking reading the per litre prices. Several $s per litre is common
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That's a good point. Not seen much in the way of Mayo on the shelves
I'm sure I saw a shelf full of it. I'll have a close look next time.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Why its so bloody expensive to eat healthy.......

Agree, makes me mad.

I just spent 3 days at the kids hospital, the SIZE of the majority of the people OMBG.

Yet the cafe for parents/visitors didnt even have a piece of fruit for sale, too expensive, doesnt sell were the reasons given.

Cafe full of morbidly obese people eating a family sized tray of hot chips with gravy, then you get told 60% of the beds in some wards are closed due to funding

The link between health and crappy food is obvious.

And I dont think its just queensland, day spend at melb zoo, there were entire families just the same.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
And I dont think its just queensland, day spend at melb zoo, there were entire families just the same.
Plenty of fatties in Melbourne, and not JUST at the zoo
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I'm sure I saw a shelf full of it. I'll have a close look next time.
Maybe I missed the mayo while being shocked and awed by the prices
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of it here, I think the fave in this house is the REAL FOODS (ironic hey?) one....
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hevs
Loads of it here, I think the fave in this house is the REAL FOODS (ironic hey?) one....
Thanks. Will look for it later
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Noticed in our local woolies and coles milk has suddenly dropped to $1 a litre

Not sure if its to distract us from the fact that meat and veg seem to have doubled in the last 2 weeks.

Or a clever marketing ploy, who doesnt buy milk? so their number one seller gets a reduction.

Or it might be none of that a new aldi opened a month ago and I havent seen the carpark empty yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.