Supermarket Pet Hates...

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Like little alien testes
That's the ones. I bought them by mistake when I first got here, I assumed that the green colour was just the colour of the glass, until I open the jar and thought WTF !!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Another interesting thing seems to be the colourings and additives that are used here - especially amongst the drinks - Lime cordial is the colour of kryptonite and the home brand is almost identical to the eucalyptus toilet disinfectant.
I dont know if they still sell it, but in primary school used to do blue cordial at sausage sizzles, special days etc , it was the same blue as a bottle of domestos.

Blue colouring was banned in some countries for sending kids hyper, but you still get blue food here.

Probably a past fad now, last year of primary for us, the morning lunch box drink for many was a can of Mother or V, kids were high as kites but the school never banned it
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I love raw onion too - Have to cut up two for chilli etc as I will have consumed one long before it gets into the wok.

My pet supermarket hates are:

1. Awful, terrible illogical layout. I think that both Coles and Woolies employ Stevie Wonder to do the layouts for them.

2. Portion sizes. How come they are either for feeding a family of 8 or not quite enough to satisfy a small dog? There never seems to be any middle ground.

3. Cheese. How can there be so many different varieties of cheddar style cheese that all taste the same - i.e. bland and of nothing - and only ONE type of blue cheese?

4. No cheap lo-cal lemonade. Sadly I really miss this from Asda - It was about 20p for 2 litres, and was a great mixer for fruit juice, cordial etc, and didn't make me fat. I used to buy bottles of the stuff but here I can't find a similar product.

5. Spice. how come everything is always 'Mild' or 'Medium'? Where do you buy the extra super hot stuff? This is particularly noticeable in dips (See Turban Explorer's comments). There are never hot dips for sale!

I'm sure there are more too. I also hate people who say "You should really go to your local <insert supplier here> instead of the supermarket." When I complain about quality/quantity/availability of stock. They may have time for trailing around a plurality of individual suppliers, but I don't! As Brian Potter said "All under one roof!"

S
The illogical layout is designed to force you into every corner, tempting you all the way with great savings like 3c 'off' a can of beans.

Spicy? Yeh, I tend to make my own ... have found some super-hot chilli sauce that even I have to go easy on ... ABC Extra Hot Chili Sauce

Oh, and Cayenne Pepper is ace.

Suffice to say I add these to my portion only ...

I have given up trying to get a hot Thai/Indian takeaway and we rarely have them anyway.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:20 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

When you pick the wrong queue, and to your horror (once you have decided it's too late to move to another queue) it's the elderly copper tin day out.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
4. No cheap lo-cal lemonade. Sadly I really miss this from Asda - It was about 20p for 2 litres, and was a great mixer for fruit juice, cordial etc, and didn't make me fat. I used to buy bottles of the stuff but here I can't find a similar product.
Try cheap brands of fizzy mineral water - you get the refreshing fizz but no calories or artificial sweetener.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Try cheap brands of fizzy mineral water - you get the refreshing fizz but no calories or artificial sweetener.
Yep we always have soda/sparkling water to drink as is, or dilute with white wine or mix with real fruit juice.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:58 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's the ones. I bought them by mistake when I first got here, I assumed that the green colour was just the colour of the glass, until I open the jar and thought WTF !!
Don't forget the red ones.............
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Ten types of sultanas, but no raisins
Four brands of "icing mix" with added wheat, but no pure icing sugar
Cornflour made out of wheat (does the UK have this?)
Labels on seafood that say "mix of imported and local product", tempting me to ask the deli assistant to pick out the Australian product for me
$4.17 at Woolworths

$1.70 at Woolworths

Some types of cornflour are milled from wheat but are labelled wheaten cornflour.

White Wings Cornflour is made from 100% pure corn
$2.58 at Woolworths

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

ABC....You are a legend
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:20 am
ABCDiamond

I am thinking of items like the dips, the absence of tasty ready meals (other than a meat lasagne that serves 10),
Ready meals have not really been an Australian "thing", hence no real variety.

cheese so bland it's cut into a variety of shapes to liven it up
Have you checked out the cheese in the Deli section of Woolworths ?

Goats Ash Cheese to Jarlsberg, Gruyere and more...
and not to forget the Jindi Brie.

And supermarkets, in my opinion, is not that good. The independent Delis and markets, are a much better option for cheese.

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paulry
I haven't seen the giant tins. My OH has so far only bought several of the smaller ones which are good for a sandwich of quick salad but look troublesome for a larger meal. Will look out for them

We enjoy tuna rice too.
425 gram tuna $5.21

or 425 gram tuna $2.01 for the price concious

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:26 am
ABCDiamond

a) That the shop assistant only seems to be keen to put a couple of items in each bag despite there being loads of extra room
People complain when too many things get put in, and the bag tears on the way home.

People complain when too little is put in, and no one has an actual problem.

I begin to feel for the poor shop assistants, but at least I get a nice chat with my local ones. Oh I forgot, some people complain about that too

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
$4.17 at Woolworths
http://www.homeshop.com.au/website/m...9830629230.jpg

$1.70 at Woolworths
http://www.homeshop.com.au/website/m...9830631772.jpg

Some types of cornflour are milled from wheat but are labelled wheaten cornflour.

White Wings Cornflour is made from 100% pure corn
$2.58 at Woolworths
http://www.homeshop.com.au/website/m...9830765356.jpg
Yes, but not all Woolworths carry them, as with Coles, there is a lot of variation between stores. I usually find that if I'm baking, I won't get what I need at Woolworths. As for the cornflour, my beef is that it's called cornflour when it's not. It's like those crabstick things - God know what they're made of, but it's sure not crab.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:28 am
ABCDiamond

c) That free range eggs are often sold by the same producers of the bastard caged battery eggs. Why do they think that someone would buy eggs produced by their happy wandering around chickens when in a nearby shed they've got 1000s rammed in suffering disgusting conditions?
I've never seen that. I would be interested to see examples.

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:32 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've never seen that. I would be interested to see examples.
Stockman eggs seem to offer free range, grain fed and then the uber cruel economy battery ones. I don't know if they are Aussie wide..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.