Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:10 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Centurion
1. People who go to the express check out and, despite the queue behind them, make the check out chick go and get them 100 Holiday or whatever chav smokes they want. Because nobody else had anything better to do than stand there and that's why they went to the express lane

2. People who wear no shoes in supermarkets despite the obvious risk to loosing a toe. Really - are you that stupid ?

3. The fact is usually cheaper to buy two smaller quantities of something than the larger combined single item.

4. Anything which proudly tells me this item is reduced by less than 5c. That's just rubbing salt into the wound of the stupidly gouging prices which we are fleeced with everyday.

5. Coles flybuys are the most insulting loyalty program ever and why someone there hasn't worked out that people find free Qantas flights with Everyday rewards a better deal is beyond me.

6. People who wear PJ's when shopping into the evening at the IGA. You are, frankly, a dag who deserves to live in your fibro shack with two staffies.

7. During the busy times, make sure that you only have 2 checkouts open and have at least 3 staff behind the "management" counter bit looking busy. Your not and we know it.

8. Not selling booze. Instead open up BWS bottle shops next to your supermarket and pay more overheads. I realise this is just the Australian government protecting us from ourselves and the dangers of alcohol. Lest we become a nation of binge drinkers who consume more than most other western countries...oh wait...

No's 1 & 2 really irritate me, as does no.8.

The biggest one for me is how slow some of the check out chicks are - grrrr! It doesn't appear to bother them how big the queue is or how long people have to stand bored shitless, staring into space. It's the whole 'not making an effort to get the queue down a bit quckier' thing that annoys me.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:13 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that Costco is coming to Canberra. But not sure exactly where and when
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:13 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I love raw onion too - Have to cut up two for chilli etc as I will have consumed one long before it gets into the wok.

My pet supermarket hates are:

1. Awful, terrible illogical layout. I think that both Coles and Woolies employ Stevie Wonder to do the layouts for them.

2. Portion sizes. How come they are either for feeding a family of 8 or not quite enough to satisfy a small dog? There never seems to be any middle ground.

3. Cheese. How can there be so many different varieties of cheddar style cheese that all taste the same - i.e. bland and of nothing - and only ONE type of blue cheese?

4. No cheap lo-cal lemonade. Sadly I really miss this from Asda - It was about 20p for 2 litres, and was a great mixer for fruit juice, cordial etc, and didn't make me fat. I used to buy bottles of the stuff but here I can't find a similar product.

5. Spice. how come everything is always 'Mild' or 'Medium'? Where do you buy the extra super hot stuff? This is particularly noticeable in dips (See Turban Explorer's comments). There are never hot dips for sale!

I'm sure there are more too. I also hate people who say "You should really go to your local <insert supplier here> instead of the supermarket." When I complain about quality/quantity/availability of stock. They may have time for trailing around a plurality of individual suppliers, but I don't! As Brian Potter said "All under one roof!"

S

Yip agree with all of those.

Ooooh I have raw onion with absolutely everything.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:16 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
No's 1 & 2 really irritate me, as does no.8.

The biggest one for me is how slow some of the check out chicks are - grrrr! It doesn't appear to bother them how big the queue is or how long people have to stand bored shitless, staring into space. It's the whole 'not making an effort to get the queue down a bit quckier' thing that annoys me.
That's where they have it right in the UK with their "if there's more than one customer in front of you, we'll open another till" approach.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by paulry
That's where they have it right in the UK with their "if there's more than one customer in front of you, we'll open another till" approach.
Yes, the difference is amazing really. Why do they not brainwash that into them here when they do their job training.

Do they have pre start date job training here?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Followed by...but you can pack yer own ******* bags while we launch all of your bruisables down the conveyor belt faster than the take off any space shuttle you care to name......
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:23 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you what I hate... I hate pushy customers at the checkout. I had my groceries on the conveyor recently when an Asian man behind me started pushing my groceries up the conveyor (piling them up on top of each other) so he could put his up, out of his trolley. I was quite peeved since he was squashing my fruit, bread etc and told him that "if you can wait a moment I will be finished shortly." You know what he said? "Great country this is". I wouldn't let him push my groceries around so I was representative of a bad Australia. I really hated that. Rant over.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by hevs
Followed by...but you can pack yer own ******* bags while we launch all of your bruisables down the conveyor belt faster than the take off any space shuttle you care to name......
That's ALdi
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Noticed in our local woolies and coles milk has suddenly dropped to $1 a litre

Not sure if its to distract us from the fact that meat and veg seem to have doubled in the last 2 weeks.

Or a clever marketing ploy, who doesnt buy milk? so their number one seller gets a reduction.

Or it might be none of that a new aldi opened a month ago and I havent seen the carpark empty yet.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=433

Apparently cheap milk is unaustralian........which to me sounds like a good reason to buy it
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Apparently cheap milk is unaustralian........which to me sounds like a good reason to buy it
This would be great if Woolworths/Coles sold proper milk rather than the disgusting white liquid that they call milk.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

What annoyed me, IMO its an obvious marketing ploy to distract the consumer/media from the issue of rising prices.

Media/consumer were starting to anger that many of the price rises in the past 2 weeks are on items not related to flood areas

Then the big boys come in with cheap milk
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:00 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The way there are aisles of some stuff which seems massively over and beyond what is required yet glaring omissions elsewhere.... There is virtually an entire row of fruit chopped up in plastic jars and one of weird looking vitamin supplements yet they only seem to bake about 3 varieties of bread roll.

Another interesting thing seems to be the colourings and additives that are used here - especially amongst the drinks - Lime cordial is the colour of kryptonite and the home brand is almost identical to the eucalyptus toilet disinfectant.

I find the amount of 'hello' style bimbo mags incongruous as well... Brad and Ange, cellulite, 'baby joy' etc.... I'd hoped that one might be able to escape that insidious crap in FNQ but sadly not.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:17 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
Attached Images  
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:18 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Another interesting thing seems to be the colourings and additives that are used here - especially amongst the drinks - Lime cordial is the colour of kryptonite and the home brand is almost identical to the eucalyptus toilet disinfectant.
Hove you seen the green pickled onions?
Now they look well dodgy
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:23 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Hove you seen the green pickled onions?
Now they look well dodgy
Like little alien testes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.