Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Jan 6th 2015, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What they've recently tried to do has been circumvented already anyway. Time will tell

Original content from the likes of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon continues to grow at breakneck speed (Netflix making their 1st movie). Series that are being dropped by networks are being picked up and continued by the streamers. Content from traditional providers will not keep up, and if more people are going online, they will have to sell it to the IPTV providers to make money

Studios do have the advantage of a large back catalogue but they either sell it to someone (NF, Hulu etc) or have it pirated and make nothing
Yes, but HBO are still leading and they as well as AMC are getting the higher end exclusives. Netflix originals have had success such as House of Cards but others aren't really my cup of tea. They seem to add more and more documentaries which, will often good to watch, aren't close to the quality of the likes of Fargo or Game of Thrones.

Amazon Prime are getting exclusives too and they are soon to be showing a new series called Bosch based on the Harry Bosch novels. I want this show as much as anything as I'm a massive Harry Bosch fan. But, it means yet another subscription or pirate. That's what these service providers and studios are totally aware of but whinge about not getting paid for every single download/stream. No government seems to want to speak for us and demand reform. They are too quick to waste resources on catching the pirates than to take the most obvious and quickest solution to the problem.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 6:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Yes, but HBO are still leading and they as well as AMC are getting the higher end exclusives. Netflix originals have had success such as House of Cards but others aren't really my cup of tea. They seem to add more and more documentaries which, will often good to watch, aren't close to the quality of the likes of Fargo or Game of Thrones.

Amazon Prime are getting exclusives too and they are soon to be showing a new series called Bosch based on the Harry Bosch novels. I want this show as much as anything as I'm a massive Harry Bosch fan. But, it means yet another subscription or pirate. That's what these service providers and studios are totally aware of but whinge about not getting paid for every single download/stream. No government seems to want to speak for us and demand reform. They are too quick to waste resources on catching the pirates than to take the most obvious and quickest solution to the problem.
I'm an Amazon Prime member. It's great. Loads of content and getting better all the time. There was a recent pilot for a end of world/disaster series that looked really good. You also now get streaming music as well

It was a gift but I am definitely renewing it and at $99, it's very good value
Old Jan 6th 2015, 7:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an Amazon Prime member. It's great. Loads of content and getting better all the time. There was a recent pilot for a end of world/disaster series that looked really good. You also now get streaming music as well

Do you need to use jiggery pokery to get Amazon Prime or are we "allowed" to subscribe in Australia?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I guess my point though is Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon and whatever else subscriptions add up to a fair bit. You can't get all the content you want on just one or two of those and that's what our government should be pushing for.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 7:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Do you need to use jiggery pokery to get Amazon Prime or are we "allowed" to subscribe in Australia?
You've got to muck around but it's fairly straight forward

I also have an Amazon Fire TV box which is great. It's geared towards Amazon content but you can also get NF, Hulu etc on it. It's also got some great games on it and you can buy an extra controller

Amazon were knocking them out for $70 before Christmas. I've also just got a Fire TV stick ($20 on a launch offer). Need to still set it up
Old Jan 6th 2015, 8:23 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon were knocking them out for $70 before Christmas. I've also just got a Fire TV stick ($20 on a launch offer). Need to still set it up
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/d...reaming-stick/

if not already discussed elsewhere, maybe you already know this - that XBMC can be downloaded onto the 'new Amazon firestick which when done it is your XBMC device

On the Kodi (XBMC) forum they have recently put the details how this can be done

Up here in the great white north, sometime this month I'll be getting me the Amazon firestick

For now with firefox as my browser, I use 'mediahint' as my unblocker (with zero blips, squeaks or shakes) to watch what I cannot get on http://live.camposat.tv/ [UK TV only from the filmon] such as US TV, hulu etc

Last edited by not2old; Jan 6th 2015 at 8:29 am.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 8:58 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Yeah I guess my point though is Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon and whatever else subscriptions add up to a fair bit. You can't get all the content you want on just one or two of those and that's what our government should be pushing for.

Yeah, it's a pain that everybody seems intent on pushing subscription and package models, rather than a pay as you go one. I'd happily pay on an episode basis, but as you say you need many subscriptions to cover all of the content that you want to see, which starts to get expensive.

S
Old Jan 6th 2015, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yeah, it's a pain that everybody seems intent on pushing subscription and package models, rather than a pay as you go one. I'd happily pay on an episode basis, but as you say you need many subscriptions to cover all of the content that you want to see, which starts to get expensive.

S
Yes, pay per episode. Even if it was a week after its official release.

The Foxtel Go as you'd expect is the worst of all the online subscription services. The content is very lacking but it's also only SD. They clearly want you signing up for the cable box so you'll get all the shopping channels and other junk. Anyone know anything about Quickflix or is Foxtel Go the best we have in Australia?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Tried the ITV app again last night to watch Broadchurch and it was a waste of time. It started off well (apart from the shitty ads) but 10 minutes in, despite my 17Mb connection, it started buffering. We had just previously watched stuff on Netflix in full HD without a hint of buffer. Pointless so downloaded it instead

Still a good show
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Tried the ITV app again last night to watch Broadchurch and it was a waste of time. It started off well (apart from the shitty ads) but 10 minutes in, despite my 17Mb connection, it started buffering. We had just previously watched stuff on Netflix in full HD without a hint of buffer. Pointless so downloaded it instead

Still a good show
Buffering makes ITV Player unwatchable most of the time on the Now TV box and Samsung blu ray player but works perfectly on PS3.
It will be interesting to see what Stan has to offer when it is launched later this month https://www.stan.com.au/
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:00 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

2nd series filmed there too

It's a nice part of the world but those accents would do my head in
Watched S02E01 last night. Looks good so far. Nice to see all the local places there

As for the accents, it sounds like they imported a load of people in from Bristol...

S
Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Looks like it was all a false alarm

BBC News - Netflix: VPN crackdown claims 'false', says executive
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Looks like Netflix is coming to Australia at the end of March at just under $10, which is about what it costs in the US:

Netflix internet TV service will launch in Australia on March 31 | Tech news and reviews. Smartphones, tablets, laptops, audio, apps, digital cameras, TVs

I'm not interested but it's good to see that they are going to try and be competitive. Content may be limited at first but it will get better over time - they have to start somewhere

Interestingly, I was reading that more than 30% of US bandwidth at peak times is taken up by Netflix streaming

That's massive
Old Jan 11th 2015, 8:53 pm
has lost The Game

Looks like Netflix is coming to Australia at the end of March at just under $10, which is about what it costs in the US:

Netflix internet TV service will launch in Australia on March 31 | Tech news and reviews. Smartphones, tablets, laptops, audio, apps, digital cameras, TVs

I'm not interested but it's good to see that they are going to try and be competitive. Content may be limited at first but it will get better over time - they have to start somewhere

Interestingly, I was reading that more than 30% of US bandwidth at peak times is taken up by Netflix streaming

That's massive

Looks like Netflix have pulled their agreement with Foxtel for House of Cards...

House of Cards

I assume they had a contractual clause for this one.

The problem I foresee (as mentioned above) is that now there will be several subscription offerings, and to get everything that somebody wants, they are looking at laying out $50 pm across several different providers.

S
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Looks like Netflix have pulled their agreement with Foxtel for House of Cards...

House of Cards

I assume they had a contractual clause for this one.

The problem I foresee (as mentioned above) is that now there will be several subscription offerings, and to get everything that somebody wants, they are looking at laying out $50 pm across several different providers.

S
They obviously want us to pirate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.