Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I will have a look at that - The first one was filmed where I grew up, and it's always nice to partake in some self indulgent homesickness...

S
2nd series filmed there too

It's a nice part of the world but those accents would do my head in
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like our Netflix and Hulu watching might be coming to an end soon:

Is Netflix declaring war on geo-dodgers?

I already have a solution to get multi country Nexflix though, was talking to someone about it yesterday and involves routing traffic through a virtual host using Amazon virtual hosting, or something like that!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:26 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

I already have a solution to get multi country Nexflix though, was talking to someone about it yesterday and involves routing traffic through a virtual host using Amazon virtual hosting, or something like that!

This news has been the talk of work over the last two days. It's looking likely that they will restrict access to their US catalogue, though it will be interesting to see how the Australian and US catalogues differ, given that they have already on-sold a lot of their rights here.

S
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

I'm not so sure that this is the case. Hulu tried something similar last year but nothing came of it. Effectively, if they apply this, they are cutting off a large part of their customer base, affecting their profits. I can see them making half-assed attempts to appease the studios but that's it. As you say, ways will be found round this and if not, pirating will grow even more

I see that the (mainly News Corp) outlets are saying that this is directed at Australia but that cannot be the case. Netflix openly allows their UK subscribers, for instance, to access their US services - and vice versa and the vast majority of the world does not have official Netflix, and is unlikely to get it

Ultimately it comes down to the studios and content owners to bring in a model that allows access to their products at a low price - globally. It's in their best interest to do so. The existing setup cannot continue
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

This news has been the talk of work over the last two days. It's looking likely that they will restrict access to their US catalogue, though it will be interesting to see how the Australian and US catalogues differ, given that they have already on-sold a lot of their rights here.

S
I'm guessing the Aus catalogue will be shit and approx $30 a month.

I reckon I'll be able to get around the geoblocking though, the guy I was talking to about it at the fire in Mundaring last night is an IT/Comms guru. In any event, I'll probably start torrenting again if they do.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

S
I reckon that as contracts come up for renegotiation, Netflix will take them back, allowing their content to grow

If they don't do this then they are not serious about their future
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I reckon that as contracts come up for renegotiation, Netflix will take them back, allowing their content to grow

If they don't do this then they are not serious about their future

I suspect that you are right - It would be folly to allow Foxtel to continue to dominate the market...

S
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

I suspect that you are right - It would be folly to allow Foxtel to continue to dominate the market...

S
It's also important to see this from a global and not Australia-centric viewpoint. IPTV, streaming etc is going to continue to grow around the world for the forseeable future. The main players need to get on board or go under
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:46 am
has lost The Game

It's also important to see this from a global and not Australia-centric viewpoint. IPTV, streaming etc is going to continue to grow around the world for the forseeable future. The main players need to get on board or go under

Agreed, and also agreed with your earlier comment about the studios and rights holders updating their backward model of trying to restrict access geographically. Those days are surely gone now, and the public will vote with it's torrenting fingers.

S
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I think they've already started blocking known vpn/DNS providers but I haven't been hit yet. I can I only expect that they are being pitched by studios with more movie/tv series exclusives that might be added to their catalogue soon that could be lucrative enough to lose the expected users that use vpn's. They might also expect to quickly win many of thes back by opening up shop in these other countries. But, we would need to see a lot more than Underbelly series 10 or new series of Rake for me to be tempted. I doubt they'd outbid Fox for Game of Thrones.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Agreed, and also agreed with your earlier comment about the studios and rights holders updating their backward model of trying to restrict access geographically. Those days are surely gone now, and the public will vote with it's torrenting fingers.

S
Exactly. These attempts are pointless as torrenting is unstoppable

Sony and co should:
Release a movie on the same day, everywhere
Make it available online , at the same time, everywhere
Open up their back catalogue to the whole world, at the same time, everywhere
Stop geoblocking, DVD/BR region locking

That would hurt pirating and who knows, they might even make some money!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think they've already started blocking known vpn/DNS providers but I haven't been hit yet. I can I only expect that they are being pitched by studios with more movie/tv series exclusives that might be added to their catalogue soon that could be lucrative enough to lose the expected users that use vpn's. They might also expect to quickly win many of thes back by opening up shop in these other countries. But, we would need to see a lot more than Underbelly series 10 or new series of Rake for me to be tempted. I doubt they'd outbid Fox for Game of Thrones.
What they've recently tried to do has been circumvented already anyway. Time will tell

Original content from the likes of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon continues to grow at breakneck speed (Netflix making their 1st movie). Series that are being dropped by networks are being picked up and continued by the streamers. Content from traditional providers will not keep up, and if more people are going online, they will have to sell it to the IPTV providers to make money

Studios do have the advantage of a large back catalogue but they either sell it to someone (NF, Hulu etc) or have it pirated and make nothing
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:23 am
has lost The Game

What they've recently tried to do has been circumvented already anyway. Time will tell

Original content from the likes of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon continues to grow at breakneck speed (Netflix making their 1st movie). Series that are being dropped by networks are being picked up and continued by the streamers. Content from traditional providers will not keep up, and if more people are going online, they will have to sell it to the IPTV providers to make money

Crosses fingers for Blood and Chrome to be back again...

S
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Crosses fingers for Blood and Chrome to be back again...

S
Jericho would be my choice

Probably a bit too late now
Old Jan 6th 2015, 5:03 am
has lost The Game

Jericho would be my choice

Probably a bit too late now

At least that got a first season - B&C didn't make it past the pilot episode

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.