Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Nov 14th 2014, 5:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by renth
What does everyone think of the new iPlayer interface?

It's a big change on the Roku, I was hoping the occasional buffering would go away. It did go a bit stoppy starty for a while during Intruders last night. Which BTW is worth a watch:

BBC iPlayer - Intruders
It's okay. Still getting used to it

As for buffering, it's getting better but still has issues. Watching something the other night, 18Mb connection and it f**king buffered in SD. Unbelievable. Had to switch it over to low quality

Still it is better than 4oD, C5 and ITV, which are mostly unwatchable

They all need to look at Netflix to see how to do it properly

Series 2 of The Fall starts tonight - starring the Milfy McMilfy Gillian Anderson

Last edited by Amazulu; Nov 14th 2014 at 5:15 am.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 1:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I think they've dropped the radio stations on the Roku (bar Radio 1). I'm really upset about this as I listen to Gilles Peterson every Sunday on Radio 6. I really don't want to be doing stuff like plugging my laptop in, that's so 5 years ago.

Talk about 1 step forward and 2 steps back!

Just checked on my WDTV which has the old iPlayer including radio stations. I think it won't update unless I specifically allow it so for now it's all good. THANK YOU GOD!

Last edited by renth; Nov 15th 2014 at 1:43 am.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 1:04 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Series 2 of The Fall starts tonight - starring the Milfy McMilfy Gillian Anderson
Just saw her on Alan Carr Chatty man. She has an English accent like in The Fall! But when she's on TV in America she has an American accent.

"Anderson is bidialectal. With her English accent and background, Anderson was mocked and felt out of place in the American Midwest and soon adopted a Midwest accent. To this day, her accent depends on her location — for instance, in an interview with Jay Leno she spoke in an American accent, but shifted it for an interview with Michael Parkinson."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillian_Anderson
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 12:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I see that Amazon are currently knocking out their Fire TV for USD69 (down from USD99)

IMO the AFTV is the best low cost, small box streaming solution available today (better than Roku 3, Chromecast and the WDTV) and at USD69 is a total bargain

Grab one

Amazon Fire TV – Streaming Media Player – Shop Now Amazon Fire TV – Streaming Media Player – Shop Now
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 12:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

What does everyone think of the new iPlayer interface?

It's a big change on the Roku, I was hoping the occasional buffering would go away. It did go a bit stoppy starty for a while during Intruders last night. Which BTW is worth a watch:

BBC iPlayer - Intruders
Just finished Intruders (downloaded the last few episodes at they were not available on iplayer)

Top show with a great theme and storyline. John Simm is good but Mira Sorvino and James Frain as the hitman were excellent too. The little girl who played Madison was superb

Not the kind of thing I would imagine the BBC making but then it is mainly aimed at a US audience
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 12:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Just saw her on Alan Carr Chatty man. She has an English accent like in The Fall! But when she's on TV in America she has an American accent.

"Anderson is bidialectal. With her English accent and background, Anderson was mocked and felt out of place in the American Midwest and soon adopted a Midwest accent. To this day, her accent depends on her location — for instance, in an interview with Jay Leno she spoke in an American accent, but shifted it for an interview with Michael Parkinson."

Gillian Anderson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We're a bit disappointed with the 2nd series of The Fall. Parts of the storyline are totally unbelievable and unrealistic

Hopefully it picks up. Actually, Gibson (Anderson) is displaying lesbian tendencies so it probably will
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:38 am
(It's not my real name)

We're a bit disappointed with the 2nd series of The Fall. Parts of the storyline are totally unbelievable and unrealistic

Hopefully it picks up. Actually, Gibson (Anderson) is displaying lesbian tendencies so it probably will
Yes, I've completely lost the plot with season 2, I haven't got a clue what's going on, a bit like Game of Thrones.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 9:14 am
(It's not my real name)

Just thought I'd tell you all about my amazing new gadget. I'd known of its existence for while but after a recent massive temper tantrum I smashed about 3 remote controls. So I went out and got a Logitech Harmony Remote:

Harmony 650 Universal Remote Control - Logitech

I was so sceptical but it works so well. 1 remote control and it does 2 TVs, 2 Rokus, 2 WD TV Live's and 2 Sherwood amplifiers. Amazing!

It doesn't just control the individual items but does "actions" like "Watch UK Roku" - press the button, the TV, the amp and the UK Roku all come on together on the correct HDMI input.

It truly is a Christmas miracle!

Last edited by renth; Dec 20th 2014 at 9:16 am.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd tell you all about my amazing new gadget. So I went out and got a Logitech Harmony Remote:

I have a Harmony One, from when they did loads of different models. Their new thing is wifi connected hubs and control from your phone.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd tell you all about my amazing new gadget. I'd known of its existence for while but after a recent massive temper tantrum I smashed about 3 remote controls. So I went out and got a Logitech Harmony Remote:

I was so sceptical but it works so well. 1 remote control and it does 2 TVs, 2 Rokus, 2 WD TV Live's and 2 Sherwood amplifiers. Amazing!

It doesn't just control the individual items but does "actions" like "Watch UK Roku" - press the button, the TV, the amp and the UK Roku all come on together on the correct HDMI input.

I haven't used this, but I am a great fan of Logitech. They do well made things that do just what you want.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 3:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd tell you all about my amazing new gadget.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/175746
Old Dec 26th 2014, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you managed to get BBC iplayer on it?

The need to use static DNS puts me off Chromecast somewhat
Haven't managed to watch BBC i player on Chrome.I did watch a really good film on my lap top last night.It was called "Marvelous".Really worth watching.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

We went to watch The Hobbit - Battle Of The Five Armies last night, Absolutely excellent. if anyone wants to watch a film over Christmas.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Series 2 of Broadchurch is just starting on ITV

I'll try and watch it on the ITV app but it really is pathetically bad - and then there's the ads.....

If no go will download it
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Series 2 of Broadchurch is just starting on ITV

I'll try and watch it on the ITV app but it really is pathetically bad - and then there's the ads.....

If no go will download it

I will have a look at that - The first one was filmed where I grew up, and it's always nice to partake in some self indulgent homesickness...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.