Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old May 31st 2014, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Through trial and error (and some expense), I have some knowledge on this subject, so listen to uncle Amazulu

DO NOT get a Chromecast - you will have the same problems as you got with the Roku. It has potential but is not there yet

Apple TV is a half-arsed solution

A Home theatre PC is a great idea (I have one) but probably more than you need. Also a lot of streaming services - C4 and C5 in the UK for instance - are terrible in Windows

Get a Samsung Bluray player with their Smarthub setup

Dick Smith have last year's model, the BD-F6500, on sale this weekend (either with free delivery or click and collect pick-up) for $124.95 - a real bargain (best UK price $198)

I have this player and it works - you can change the DNS settings on it and will be able to configure it to any country that you want. It is also a great DVD player with streaming and USB media playback

There is plenty of info online on how to set it up. It is very easy and I can help you too

If you have a couple of grand to play with get a Samsung Smart TV - the very best, one piece of kit solution IMO
I will take your advise and skip the Chromecast.We have an Lg tv that we bought six months ago after our fourteen month tv suddenly stopped working.I will have a look at the blu ray .Thanks for your offer of help.You might regret it.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

gmayell is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you looked at xmbc very good look it up on utube for installation guides
Old Jun 1st 2014, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I will take your advise and skip the Chromecast.We have an Lg tv that we bought six months ago after our fourteen month tv suddenly stopped working.I will have a look at the blu ray .Thanks for your offer of help.You might regret it.
I can't seem to find this model at Dick Smith.Have searched on line but to no avail.Husband broke the Roku this morning so that is in the bin.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I can't seem to find this model at Dick Smith.Have searched on line but to no avail.Husband broke the Roku this morning so that is in the bin.
Had a look and also couldn't find it - I guess they sold out (and at that price I'm not surprised)

This is their 2014 model:
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home%...-player/702291

I reckon you would get a BD-F6500 if you went into JB or TGG - I saw them on sale a few days ago
Old Jun 1st 2014, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Had a look and also couldn't find it - I guess they sold out (and at that price I'm not surprised)

This is their 2014 model:
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home%...-player/702291

I reckon you would get a BD-F6500 if you went into JB or TGG - I saw them on sale a few days ago
Thank you.TGG have it for $169.Will check it out.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:10 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

How did your husband break it?
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
How did your husband break it?
He was trying to hard wire it.!!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:38 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

He was trying to hard wire it.!!
Ah I see. Thanks for settling my curiosity about it. It was difficult to imagine it getting broken in normal circumstances so I was thinking he might have stamped on it out of frustration, the pesky thing Was it a Roku 2?

A pity the NowTV box doesn't work (continual lagging) because for £4.99 a month it would have been a good deal. I hear Sky is working on it so they might have it fixed in the not too distant future.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
Ah I see. Thanks for settling my curiosity about it. It was difficult to imagine it getting broken in normal circumstances so I was thinking he might have stamped on it out of frustration, the pesky thing Was it a Roku 2?

A pity the NowTV box doesn't work (continual lagging) because for £4.99 a month it would have been a good deal. I hear Sky is working on it so they might have it fixed in the not too distant future.
It was a Roku 3.barely used .We were going to have a go setting it up this morning but the adapter was broke.For the moment will just watch BBC i player on my lap top.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Through trial and error (and some expense), I have some knowledge on this subject, so listen to uncle Amazulu

DO NOT get a Chromecast - you will have the same problems as you got with the Roku. It has potential but is not there yet

Apple TV is a half-arsed solution

A Home theatre PC is a great idea (I have one) but probably more than you need. Also a lot of streaming services - C4 and C5 in the UK for instance - are terrible in Windows

Get a Samsung Bluray player with their Smarthub setup

Dick Smith have last year's model, the BD-F6500, on sale this weekend (either with free delivery or click and collect pick-up) for $124.95 - a real bargain (best UK price $198)

I have this player and it works - you can change the DNS settings on it and will be able to configure it to any country that you want. It is also a great DVD player with streaming and USB media playback

There is plenty of info online on how to set it up. It is very easy and I can help you too

If you have a couple of grand to play with get a Samsung Smart TV - the very best, one piece of kit solution IMO

God that sounds like a hell of mission just to watch some decent TV over there

What do you think about this TV?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...74702-pdt.html

Its gone down in price again, I thought it seemed like a good deal, but I'm no expert on this matter, clearly.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

Its gone down in price again, I thought it seemed like a good deal, but I'm no expert on this matter, clearly.
I'm with the furry friend below

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to chip in. Samsung make great tellys but if anything at all goes wrong, you are 100% on your own, their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's what people have to do if they live outside of the US and Uk and want to watch their TV - do people in the UK not use BBC iplayer, 4oD etc?

TV looks fine but is too small
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question. After reading this thread I bought a Samsung BD-H6500 from the Good Guys today ($160). We have managed to set up Netflix and Hulu+ by changing the country to USA but cannot access BBCiPlayer or ITVPlayer. Does the country have to be changed each time you want to change from Netflix to the BBC?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:11 am
Banned

It's what people have to do if they live outside of the US and Uk and want to watch their TV - do people in the UK not use BBC iplayer, 4oD etc?

TV looks fine but is too small
When we were in the UK we had Sky+ so always had something on disk that we could watch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.