Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Schoolboy [14] Arrested in Bali Drug Bust

Schoolboy [14] Arrested in Bali Drug Bust

Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schoolboy [14] Arrested in Bali Drug Bust

Originally Posted by Rudi
I don't think it's a simple as that. I have an intelligent 15 year old daughter. She saw this on the news the other day and didn't understand why he had been arrested.

The focus is always on drug smugglers etc and she had not realised that just being in possession of drugs was also illegal.

I have to say I was pretty shocked that she was so "innocent" about drugs.

Love

Rudi
x
My 13 year old had completely missed this... She's too busy out doing LIFE... So we had a chat this morning...

She didnt grow up her with the bali 9 and the shrapnel corby stuff...

She's now totally FREAKING coz half her friends have gone to Bali for school holidays... And they get offered smokes by high school kids... She reckons the only reason they dont " have a go" is because they dont have the cash

Take a kid... Give them some extra spends coz they're on holiday... And hey presto.. Internatinal incident and 6 years in an adult jail with murderers and paedophiles..

Was the seller arrested for pushing/dealing/ selling??? havent seen that mentioned...
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:02 am
Just Joined

MiekeNL will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rudi
I don't think it's a simple as that. I have an intelligent 15 year old daughter. She saw this on the news the other day and didn't understand why he had been arrested.

The focus is always on drug smugglers etc and she had not realised that just being in possession of drugs was also illegal.

I have to say I was pretty shocked that she was so "innocent" about drugs.

Love

Rudi
x
I am amazed at some peoples lack of sympathy towards the lad & his family.
I hear that in Darwin they are about to start educating the kids on this very aspect of taking drugs abroad and the consequences. It could happen to any of our kids.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We also just talked about the Drug Conference she Attended via school...

The dangers of Bali werent on the agenda And we are in perth... Have to be the CLOSEST for cheap holidays...
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MiekeNL
I am amazed at some peoples lack of sympathy towards the lad & his family.
I hear that in Darwin they are about to start educating the kids on this very aspect of taking drugs abroad and the consequences. It could happen to any of our kids.

There is an element of piss take... That coz its the barbie and people stand round a barbie and have a larf..

But there has been some SERIOUS lack of empathy joking aside...
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eddie007

There is an element of piss take... That coz its the barbie and people stand round a barbie and have a larf..

But there has been some SERIOUS lack of empathy joking aside...
Thanks Eddie
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:31 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Any release that is politically motivated will make a mockery of bothjudicial systems/ goverments. I say hang the little bastard, then birch his parents and stab his dog in the neck, it's the only way he'll learn
Originally Posted by Grayling
Bloody do gooder
Old Oct 9th 2011, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And by his own admission, he'd smoked weed a few times in the last couple of years. He had under 7grms on him, one joint. He wasn't smuggling, he wasn't trying to sell, he stupidly bought one joint. Granted he did in Indonesia and he's of an age where he'd have heard of Corby et al but he didn't do it to be 'bad'. He did it for a quick smoke.

Weirdly I'm more disappointed in the fact he's been allowed to have his mobile with him than him wanting a joint. Posting on his FB page 'could' come across as a hey look at me thing, regardless of what he says in his status.

I don't think he needs a jail term, I think the few days (so far) that he's spent in the police cell is quite enough. There but for the grace of whatever go every single one of us and our children.
Wonder whether that admission was on legal advice, they often drop charges if the accused is an addict....

My kids had never heard of shrapnel croby... We arrived too late...

What we REALLY need to raise awareness in WA is for a West Coast Eagles Play to go over, buy drugs and get banged up... Now THAT would get the message across in WA
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:24 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a parent must be so bloody hard, no rule book, no training, courses, you are expected to know how to do things and the 'right' way of doing them and whatever you do, other parents will find something wrong with how you do it.

We have all done daft things as teenagers with no real concept of the consequences.

Punishment to fit the crime and the circumstances - get him out of that jail, it wont make him a better person, it will make him a beaten up, damaged person and instead of 'giving him a wake up call', it will either give him cult status amongst his mates, or something could happen to him in there that will change him forever - for the worst.

Get him home, punish him then and dont do it in the public eye.

The 'lock him up and throw away the key approach' wont help the family or the child.

I am so glad I am not a parent, bringing up another human being and trying to install the best values on how to be a good person, then when as their own personality and character develop, you pray to god they stay on track - and not matter what you do, they often take a path that would not have been your choosing.

Now that is harder than any job I can think of and makes me think about the crap I put my Mum through and wish I could turn the clock back.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they get the kid home and he learns from it.

However he probably wont, and we will have to suffer the 'hero' status the OZ media will make him, which hardly discourages other young kids does it?

I also feel a book, movie, tracy grimshaw exclusive coming on.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I hope they get the kid home and he learns from it.

However he probably wont, and we will have to suffer the 'hero' status the OZ media will make him, which hardly discourages other young kids does it?

I also feel a book, movie, tracy grimshaw exclusive coming on.
I am astonished at reading other forums on this very subject (drugs) how many youngsters knowingly enter the drug scene abroad.

Maybe an education trip to Kerobokan prison in Bali might be of some interest to this young lad.
We have too many youngsters locked up overseas and its not just the offender that does the time, the parents suffer great emotional and financial hardship for years.
If the lad is found guilty wouldnt it be considered illegal to profit from a book/movie etc?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure all this 'he didn't know it was wrong' excuse works for me. I haven't been to Bali myself but am told that there are huuugge yellow billboards/signs in the airports alerting people to the fact that drugs are illegal there and that the consequences of being caught with them are very serious.
Even if there weren't surely he would know at his age that it is even illegal in this country and with half a brain-cell be able to deduce that it wouldn't be a good idea there?
Not saying he deserves to rot in some Bali jail - yes that is OTT but I don't think that ignorance is any defence.
And what on earth were the parents thinking taking a kid on holiday in a country like that and letting him off the leash without warning him of the dangers first?
And the line of just trying to help a beggar - purleeese. If he was feeling philanthropic he should have just given the beggar the money and told him to keep the drugs to sell to the next sucker...
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiekeNL
If the lad is found guilty wouldnt it be considered illegal to profit from a book/movie etc?
If it's not it bloody well should be.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Not sure all this 'he didn't know it was wrong' excuse works for me. I haven't been to Bali myself but am told that there are huuugge yellow billboards/signs in the airports alerting people to the fact that drugs are illegal there and that the consequences of being caught with them are very serious.
Even if there weren't surely he would know at his age that it is even illegal in this country and with half a brain-cell be able to deduce that it wouldn't be a good idea there?
Not saying he deserves to rot in some Bali jail - yes that is OTT but I don't think that ignorance is any defence.
And what on earth were the parents thinking taking a kid on holiday in a country like that and letting him off the leash without warning him of the dangers first?
And the line of just trying to help a beggar - purleeese. If he was feeling philanthropic he should have just given the beggar the money and told him to keep the drugs to sell to the next sucker...
Exactly.

I think the 'forced into buying it' thing is just making this thing become ridiculous.

Wasnt he on twitter saying he smoked dope before, he knew what it was

A kid from ' the gong ' area is hardly going to be innocent to the point of not knowing what dope is

Yet the aussie media keeps feeding us this BS.

That is what makes the public tire of the story.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:27 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly.

I think the 'forced into buying it' thing is just making this thing become ridiculous.

Wasnt he on twitter saying he smoked dope before, he knew what it was

A kid from ' the gong ' area is hardly going to be innocent to the point of not knowing what dope isYet the aussie media keeps feeding us this BS.

I resemble that remark!!!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Yet the aussie media keeps feeding us this BS.

I hear Gillard called the boy and spoke with him today. Obviously trying to outdo Rudd.

Last edited by NedKelly; Oct 10th 2011 at 7:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.