Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

View Poll Results: Rugby World Cup 2011 - Who will win?
New Zealand
30.91%
Australia
8.18%
South Africa
12.73%
England
17.27%
Ireland
5.45%
France
2.73%
Scotland
2.73%
Argentina
0.91%
Wales
8.18%
Fiji
1.82%
Samoa
0.91%
Italy
1.82%
Bizarre Outcome
6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It's on my list from UKNova, I blew my broadband allowance early last month
I wouldn't bother...it was a bit slow and dull...first episode was rubbing it in to NZ getting beaten by France all the time

Second episode was Australia.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldn't bother...it was a bit slow and dull...first episode was rubbing it in to NZ getting beaten by France all the time

Balls, I already have the first one and have nearly got the second ... Sounds like the usual bunch of cliches but I'll have a watch on fast forward
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Yer right, it's pants, I can't stand Craig Doyle either, double whammy ...

And the Haka is pronounced "hah-kah" not "hacker" ... Damn thick as shit presenters ... OK, 15 minutes I won't get back, abort, abort.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

RWC app released for Android. Looks pretty cool.

https://market.android.com/details?i....AndroidClient
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
RWC app released for Android. Looks pretty cool.

https://market.android.com/details?i....AndroidClient
Any Brisbane fans looking for a rugby-watching meet, see Pam's post here :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731180
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

from Mr BEVS.

One of the things I would say to anyone is that my head says New Zealand and my heart says England but my money ia on South Africa.

NZ have shown that they can play 10 man rugby but that is something they've always criticised the Northern Hemisphere for and in many opinions you have to play ugly rugby to win the World Cup.

England have always turned up in recent years and done well.

For England , making it to the semi finals and going down in a close game is good enough for us.

I think Robbie Dean has the march on Graham Henry as a coach. They way I look at it GH has a massive pool of players to chose from. RD has a limited amount of players. GH will go for the old warhorses ........ very English.
RD may choose those that lack experience but will make up for that in their own personal belief.
RD is a New Zealander.

Me, personally, I find it strange that people question the fitness levels of professional sportsmen. I believe that all international rugby players are all at the same fitness levels. Some may be faster than others. Some may be able to bench press more but in the heat of a battle it's all about the heart and the will to win. At this level a split second decision can be the difference between a win or a loss. At this level it is about heart and desire.
and you can train as much as you like but a referee decision can change the outcome of a game.

Aussies - I think England fancy their chances against Australia. Whereas I don't think England fancy their chances against NZ. Coz of history. It's England's bogey team. Home or away.

In rugby the home team always tend to have the advantage. I think if you put NZ under pressure McCall starts running with the ball which is not their strong point , Nonu can be a loose cannon. Bradthorn and Ali Williams can turn into the big hard men & dive into situations they should stay out of.

Yeh ! I think against the Australians , England would start with the 10 man rugby that NZ used so effectively in the 2nd half Oz played NZ in Brisbane game
Oz v NZ showed that the 10 man rugby can stifle attacking rugby. It's all about mis-matches.

Finally. South Africa to win. Been there. Seen it . Done it. and have all the bits and pieces to do it. I think Pacifica Island teams will defo bring some colour to this world cup as will all other nations.
----

erk ! Hope some of it made sense. I've tried to type as fast as himself has talked.

Kicking - is that all you've got !
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
from Mr BEVS.

One of the things I would say to anyone is that my head says New Zealand and my heart says England but my money ia on South Africa.

NZ have shown that they can play 10 man rugby but that is something they've always criticised the Northern Hemisphere for and in many opinions you have to play ugly rugby to win the World Cup.

England have always turned up in recent years and done well.

For England , making it to the semi finals and going down in a close game is good enough for us.

I think Robbie Dean has the march on Graham Henry as a coach. They way I look at it GH has a massive pool of players to chose from. RD has a limited amount of players. GH will go for the old warhorses ........ very English.
RD may choose those that lack experience but will make up for that in their own personal belief.
RD is a New Zealander.

Me, personally, I find it strange that people question the fitness levels of professional sportsmen. I believe that all international rugby players are all at the same fitness levels. Some may be faster than others. Some may be able to bench press more but in the heat of a battle it's all about the heart and the will to win. At this level a split second decision can be the difference between a win or a loss. At this level it is about heart and desire.
and you can train as much as you like but a referee decision can change the outcome of a game.

Aussies - I think England fancy their chances against Australia. Whereas I don't think England fancy their chances against NZ. Coz of history. It's England's bogey team. Home or away.

In rugby the home team always tend to have the advantage. I think if you put NZ under pressure McCall starts running with the ball which is not their strong point , Nonu can be a loose cannon. Bradthorn and Ali Williams can turn into the big hard men & dive into situations they should stay out of.

Yeh ! I think against the Australians , England would start with the 10 man rugby that NZ used so effectively in the 2nd half Oz played NZ in Brisbane game
Oz v NZ showed that the 10 man rugby can stifle attacking rugby. It's all about mis-matches.

Finally. South Africa to win. Been there. Seen it . Done it. and have all the bits and pieces to do it. I think Pacifica Island teams will defo bring some colour to this world cup as will all other nations.
----

erk ! Hope some of it made sense. I've tried to type as fast as himself has talked.

Kicking - is that all you've got !
Very interesting. I hope Mr Bevs is correct!

I can't see S.A. doing it again, but nothing would please me more.

My $$$ is on NZ IF they don't choke before the Final.

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 8th 2011 at 11:11 am. Reason: missing word
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

My $$$ is on NZ IF they don't choke before the Final.
That's a mighty big IF.

Boks to take it after a hard fought campaign.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So we all know who will win their group stages, but what do you lot have for second places?

Any surprises to make the quarters?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Why?

England have been in the finals more than any other team, and are the only northern hemisphere team ever to have won.

BB
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Why?

England have been in the finals more than any other team, and are the only northern hemisphere team ever to have won.

BB
Because we've another broken squad? Flood missing the opener and only played 62 mins this year, hardly match fit etc...

Still, be nice to go all the way and if we get passed the semi's it could probably be doable, but that'll probably be the stumbling block.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Why?
Don't ask me. I was just the typist. I'll ask him laters.

For me . I want England to win it and the ABs to be totally stuffed. I would enjoy the deathly, stunned , disbelieving hush all around us.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:52 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Don't ask me. I was just the typist. I'll ask him laters.

For me . I want England to win it and the ABs to be totally stuffed. I would enjoy the deathly, stunned , disbelieving hush all around us.
Yes. I will be supporting Tonga tonight. I have been there, and quite like the place.

BB
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

My heart is going for England, and they have been in 4 out of the 6 finals so pretty good record.

But really I can’t see beyond the All Blacks particularly as most of their games are at Eden Park... they have only ever lost 10 games there in the whole history, and they haven’t been beaten there since 1994 I think, and England have only ever won once there! (Call me statto.. lol)

Anyway really looking forward to it, and we are in a pretty good time zone for it!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:24 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it normal to say that England has a broken squad entering the competition. The normal mo for England support is.

1. Slag off the team as being broken.
2. Slag off johnny-foreigners for saying their team was broken when they start to do better than expected (quickly forgetting it was the England fans and media who were slagging off the team).
3a. Blame the referee or dirty cheating johnny-foreigners if they don't win (again quickly forgetting any of the team's own misdemeanours) .
or
3b. Hand out knighthoods like handing out toffees if they win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.