Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

View Poll Results: Rugby World Cup 2011 - Who will win?
New Zealand
30.91%
Australia
8.18%
South Africa
12.73%
England
17.27%
Ireland
5.45%
France
2.73%
Scotland
2.73%
Argentina
0.91%
Wales
8.18%
Fiji
1.82%
Samoa
0.91%
Italy
1.82%
Bizarre Outcome
6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:26 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Originally Posted by Alfresco
That phrase was coined by an Ozzie reporter on CNN after the last world cup.

I think NZ & OZ supporters are way ahead on the arrogance scale.
That's been an expression since before I was born.

I have in the past supported England but living with the English for 17 years put me off doing it again. However at the last world cup I supported SA against England in the first match but switched the other way for the second match because even the SA fans (on average - not every single fan) outdo England when it comes to the braggart trophy.

Don't know about the Kiwis but the Aussies aren't anywhere near the top.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
That's been an expression since before I was born.

I have in the past supported England but living with the English for 17 years put me off doing it again. However at the last world cup I supported SA against England in the first match but switched the other way for the second match because even the SA fans (on average - not every single fan) outdo England when it comes to the braggart trophy.

Don't know about the Kiwis but the Aussies aren't anywhere near the top.
Must be a UK thing then picked up by the rest of the world. I only heard it first then.

Watching rugby in a London Walkabout pub is an enlightening experience.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:55 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Must be a UK thing then picked up by the rest of the world. I only heard it first then.

Watching rugby in a London Walkabout pub is an enlightening experience.
The problem in the 5/6 nations is when Anyone but England clashes with Anyone but France.

The most enlightening experience I've had is watching England v Netherlands (soccer) in a pub in Bermondsey. I'm glad I chose a neutral coloured shirt.

Last edited by Rambi; Aug 20th 2011 at 11:05 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:27 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

It's all falling into place to be a classic All Blacks world cup campaign, bring on the French!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
It's all falling into place to be a classic All Blacks world cup campaign, bring on the French!

Both last night and the week before, they were vulnerable in defence once they are on the back foot.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:04 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

In Australia NZ are at their weakest. I still think they will have a brain fart and blow it in the semis.

Both last night and the week before, they were vulnerable in defence once they are on the back foot.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:10 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of those 2 is way ahead of the other as well, giving no clues it's not NZ
England fans would surely be the least arrogant and would be more likely to think their team would do OK but definitely not win.

I think NZ & OZ supporters are way ahead on the arrogance scale.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:17 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by chris955
I think one of those 2 is way ahead of the other as well, giving no clues it's not NZ
England fans would surely be the least arrogant and would be more likely to think their team would do OK but definitely not win.
Bollocks. If England won the 6 nations it would be front page news and talk of knighthoods. Aus wins the Tri-nations for the first time in 10 years and you have to dig around in the sports section of The Age to find the result.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

England have won the 6 nations loads of times, it's not a huge deal. You have to remember here it is the League guys that are the 'heroes'. It really is hard to find anyone more arrogant than an Aussie sports fan.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:28 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

England have won the 6 nations loads of times, it's not a huge deal. You have to remember here it is the League guys that are the 'heroes'. It really is hard to find anyone more arrogant than an Aussie sports fan.
And every time England wins it makes the front pages of the newspapers. South African fans are the only ones more arrogant than the English fans. Aussies pale in comparison. The first Tri-nations win in a decade didn't even make it onto the front page of the Age.

I guess you don't remember the late 90s when England was sooo much better than all the other teams of the 5 nations that they were going to join the Tri-nations. And then Scotland kicked their arse. Funniest 5 nations ever.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:14 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the Age report on anything other than prance ball?

And every time England wins it makes the front pages of the newspapers. South African fans are the only ones more arrogant than the English fans. Aussies pale in comparison. The first Tri-nations win in a decade didn't even make it onto the front page of the Age.

I guess you don't remember the late 90s when England was sooo much better than all the other teams of the 5 nations that they were going to join the Tri-nations. And then Scotland kicked their arse. Funniest 5 nations ever.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well done Wallabies.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:44 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by IvanM
Does the Age report on anything other than prance ball?
Not much.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:28 am
Banned

That HAS to be a wind up Do you live here ?

Aussies pale in comparison.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:22 am
Rhino with a big horn!

That HAS to be a wind up Do you live here ?
Just an opinion. It's definitely a lot quieter here than London.

Last time I talked about sport with someone here it was something like.
Him: "You're only saying that because you just beat us at Rugby."
Me: "I thought Wales lost the last match."
Him: "Oh yeah, you're not English."

Just look at that arrogance coming through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.