Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

View Poll Results: Rugby World Cup 2011 - Who will win?
New Zealand
30.91%
Australia
8.18%
South Africa
12.73%
England
17.27%
Ireland
5.45%
France
2.73%
Scotland
2.73%
Argentina
0.91%
Wales
8.18%
Fiji
1.82%
Samoa
0.91%
Italy
1.82%
Bizarre Outcome
6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:46 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

A more interesting match tomorrow........ SWING LOOOOOOOOOOW SWEET CHARRRRRRRRRRIOTTTTTTTTTT
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:48 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
A more interesting match tomorrow........ SWING LOOOOOOOOOOW SWEET CHARRRRRRRRRRIOTTTTTTTTTT
Indeed.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:52 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

opening ceremony was awesome well done NZ
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:34 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
We peasants in the west (of Vic) have it on WIN at 21.45.
I nearly went back to change it to Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:35 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Israel?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clint
That's my team you are laughing at they won't even go through the first round but at least they won against France once

All Blacks
I was laughing at Amazulu for voting for Italy in the poll - not Italy per se.

Originally Posted by asher
opening ceremony was awesome well done NZ
Yep indeed. I hope the big tele is awesome and in HD. Makes all the difference.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Why?

England have been in the finals more than any other team, and are the only northern hemisphere team ever to have won.

BB
Actually, I reckon this fact flatters England placed against Southern Hemisphere teams who have actually won their finals! They had to get past the Sweaties to get to the 1991 Final and 2007 was just surreal!

As Mr Bevs says, and I said 8 years ago - that RWC are knockout comps where teams have to play tight rugby and that tight rugby is real rugby - it doesn't have to be cross-country basketball.

(All this crap about 10 man rugby was funny back in 2003 - this was one of the times when England were far more expansive and had been for a few years. What we miss is Will Greenwood...)

England could beat Australia but I don't think they will beat New Zealand and my money is still on the All Blacks - but will GH stuff around with team selection!!
Originally Posted by BEVS
from Mr BEVS.

One of the things I would say to anyone is that my head says New Zealand and my heart says England but my money ia on South Africa.

NZ have shown that they can play 10 man rugby but that is something they've always criticised the Northern Hemisphere for and in many opinions you have to play ugly rugby to win the World Cup.

England have always turned up in recent years and done well.

For England , making it to the semi finals and going down in a close game is good enough for us.

I think Robbie Dean has the march on Graham Henry as a coach. They way I look at it GH has a massive pool of players to chose from. RD has a limited amount of players. GH will go for the old warhorses ........ very English.
RD may choose those that lack experience but will make up for that in their own personal belief.
RD is a New Zealander.

Me, personally, I find it strange that people question the fitness levels of professional sportsmen. I believe that all international rugby players are all at the same fitness levels. Some may be faster than others. Some may be able to bench press more but in the heat of a battle it's all about the heart and the will to win. At this level a split second decision can be the difference between a win or a loss. At this level it is about heart and desire.
and you can train as much as you like but a referee decision can change the outcome of a game.

Aussies - I think England fancy their chances against Australia. Whereas I don't think England fancy their chances against NZ. Coz of history. It's England's bogey team. Home or away.

In rugby the home team always tend to have the advantage. I think if you put NZ under pressure McCall starts running with the ball which is not their strong point , Nonu can be a loose cannon. Bradthorn and Ali Williams can turn into the big hard men & dive into situations they should stay out of.

Yeh ! I think against the Australians , England would start with the 10 man rugby that NZ used so effectively in the 2nd half Oz played NZ in Brisbane game
Oz v NZ showed that the 10 man rugby can stifle attacking rugby. It's all about mis-matches.

Finally. South Africa to win. Been there. Seen it . Done it. and have all the bits and pieces to do it. I think Pacifica Island teams will defo bring some colour to this world cup as will all other nations.
----

erk ! Hope some of it made sense. I've tried to type as fast as himself has talked.

Kicking - is that all you've got !
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Like It Is will become famous soon enough

Thought they did a great job of the opening ceremony,Now its time to bring it to the Argies.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland cut it a bit fine there!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

really enjoying it so far...only bothered with highlights from the opening match, but seen the Scotland one, that was a cracker and this Fiji game is turning out to be really entertaining too...I think Wales might have to watch out here, some of those chaps are really pretty fast...
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
really enjoying it so far...only bothered with highlights from the opening match, but seen the Scotland one, that was a cracker and this Fiji game is turning out to be really entertaining too...I think Wales might have to watch out here, some of those chaps are really pretty fast...
Its Namibia!?!?!?!!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
Its Namibia!?!?!?!!

You know they have to be looking at that second place spot...might not be as easy as they thought
Old Sep 10th 2011, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ahem! Are they playing Western Fiji, or the whole of Fiji? That might be key.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Mr BEVS:

You have to be looking forward to a good game because they are two evenly matched sides. England should have the slight upper hand although Argentine wouldn't be lost in a 6 nations tournament coz the quality of their players .

Prediction: As much as England say they will throw the ball around they will still be conservative.
21 - 12 England win.

NZ v Tonga. They may not have scored first but they scored last. They were saving themselves for the last 5 minutes !

----

Are they playing Western Fiji, or the whole of Fiji? That might be key.
As myself - BEVS . I don't get this.
It is a very troubled Fiji as always. Troubled.

It is Western Samoa and America Samoa or it was.

We would love to see the small Pacifica nations do well. In this order. Samoa, Fiji, Tonga in that order.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
Mr BEVS:

You have to be looking forward to a good game because they are two evenly matched sides. England should have the slight upper hand although Argentine wouldn't be lost in a 6 nations tournament coz the quality of their players .

Prediction: As much as England say they will throw the ball around they will still be conservative.
21 - 12 England win.

NZ v Tonga. They may not have scored first but they scored last. They were saving themselves for the last 5 minutes !

----

As myself - BEVS . I don't get this.
It is a very troubled Fiji as always. Troubled.

It is Western Samoa and America Samoa or it was.

We would love to see the small Pacifica nations do well. In this order. Samoa, Fiji, Tonga in that order.
It was a joke based on the lament when W Somoa beat Wales years back.

"It was a good thing boys it wasn't the whole of Somoa!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.