Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Originally Posted by eddie007
Got a phonecall today from a rcruitment agency, we have a (very rare) advert on our website for theatre nurse....

Do we want to pay THEM somewhere in the region of $5k for them to find a nurse from the uk or Ireland who wants to immigrate, Coz if we do, they might have one...

Ummm... Now let me see..... NO... Is the short answer

I wonder whether nurses realise how using an agent to find an RN position may actually LIMIT their chances of getting a job?????

Cant think of any public hospital locally that would pay an agent... Yup, they are still sponsoring, but paying an agent?????

Private hospitals have even smaller recruitment budgets... So most wont do that either... Sponsorship and if you're looking to an unpopular/hard to employ area perhaps a coupke of hundred bucks towards your airfair... But to pay some third party 5 grand? NOT HAPPENING

Makes me fume, because nurses want jobs and they trust that these people are helping them whereas they may well be hindering their progress...

So word of advice to any RN wanting an RN post in many areas of Australia...

Contact potential employers yourself...

I KNOW that if you are coming from a country where RNs are in abundence and it can take months to apply, interview and then have the funding for the post you have applied for cut so NO ONE gets the job... Its hard to understand how comparatively easy it is for us to find work! But here you are wanted, needed and its way too easy to DIY!
Debs hubby here.

I could not agree more with every word you have typed my friend. Our daughter is coming over in a few weeks time for a holiday (can't wait) shes a nurse back in blighty, almost three years ward duties, she loves it but is thinking of making the leap to here herself now. I keep saying to her don't bother with the agencies and the rig marole of this and that, just get in there and face up (its got to be worth a go)?
I did, i sent out cheeky emails everywhere, i knocked on doors spoke to faces not the dirty end of a phones hand set.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:19 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
You might want to rethink areas like noosa or buderim. Do you have a degree that may allow you to do investment advice or financial planing?
I'm in Cairns. We've done one year of living regionally and now, desperately, one of us needs a 35 hour a week job for 12 months so we can get PR. I don't want to get tied to an employer for 2 years.... DIAC only care that you've been working regionally don't they - not what state you have been working in?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:21 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
When I was on the SIR visa Adelaide was a city we were allowed to go to. All other major centres were out of bounds, except Darwin but they don't count.
Erm, correct me if I'm wrong TE but a QLD state sponsored visa limits it to working in regional QLD.

Adelaide, Darwin or anywhere else doesn't come into play.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:22 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Erm, correct me if I'm wrong TE but a QLD state sponsored visa limits it to working in regional QLD.

Adelaide, Darwin or anywhere else doesn't come into play.
We spoke to immigration and they said if you couldn't find work in your state they didn't mind if you moved and it wouldn't affect your application for PR. I was thinking of applying for NT outback teaching jobs as a last resort.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm in Cairns. We've done one year of living regionally and now, desperately, one of us needs a 35 hour a week job for 12 months so we can get PR. I don't want to get tied to an employer for 2 years.... DIAC only care that you've been working regionally don't they - not what state you have been working in?

A friends of mine went to Adelaide on an SIR visa - the entire city is considered regional - well it was - and he loved it so much he decided to stay. To be fair, I quite liked it too - it is much less pretentious than Sydney.

Maybe have a look at that?

S
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We spoke to immigration and they said if you couldn't find work in your state they didn't mind if you moved and it wouldn't affect your application for PR. I was thinking of applying for NT outback teaching jobs as a last resort.
Might be worth a quick call to an agent just to be on the safe side - give someone like George Lombard a call It might be like the 176, more of a moral obligation and if there really is no work for you they let you move.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:37 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

the glaringly obvious question that occurs to me TE is, why bother with all this just to get pr?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:38 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what it says for the 475:

Additionally, if you apply for a Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa and you are being sponsored by a participating State or Territory government, you will be required to sign an undertaking that you, and any secondary applicants included in your application, will live, work or study, in a regional or a low population growth metropolitan area in Australia, gazetted at the time your provisional visa was granted for the duration of your visa, or until such time as you are able to obtain sponsorship for permanent residence under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme. If you are granted a Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa, you and any secondary applicants will have a condition attached to your visas to ensure you comply with this undertaking.

I can believe what DIAC has told you due to recent experience of a friend but please ensure you get it in writing from them. I have known "cock-ups" to occur and in fact one of our BE posters lost his visa due to misinformation by DIAC.
The actual post codes for the 475 are quite extensive and include all of NT, SA and Tassie. Here's the full list.....
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...nal-growth.htm
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
the glaringly obvious question that occurs to me TE is, why bother with all this just to get pr?
Really don't know now. I've spent so much - had to import the boat at a cost of $35k etc - it seems mad to walk away with nada. We also need to wait 6 months before we can leave for le chat.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Additionally, if you apply for a Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa and you are being sponsored by a participating State or Territory government, you will be required to sign an undertaking that you, and any secondary applicants included in your application, will live, work or study, in a regional or a low population growth metropolitan area in Australia, gazetted at the time your provisional visa was granted for the duration of your visa, or until such time as you are able to obtain sponsorship for permanent residence under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme. If you are granted a Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa, you and any secondary applicants will have a condition attached to your visas to ensure you comply with this undertaking.

I can believe what DIAC has told you due to recent experience of a friend but please ensure you get it in writing from them. I have known "cock-ups" to occur and in fact one of our BE posters lost his visa due to misinformation by DIAC.
The actual post codes for the 475 are quite extensive and include all of NT, SA and Tassie. Here's the full list.....
Hence I think a chat with a good agent would be better than just info from DIAC. Looking through the Immi forum it does seem a lot of people just move States (similar to the 176) often without even trying to find work. TE has at least given it a good shot in Qld.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Really don't know now. I've spent so much - had to import the boat at a cost of $35k etc - it seems mad to walk away with nada. We also need to wait 6 months before we can leave for le chat.
Move to Mandurah and work in Perth - there's a fairly fast commuter train. You would have no problem finding a job.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Move to Mandurah and work in Perth - there's a fairly fast commuter train. You would have no problem finding a job.
With that 475 visa you have to live and work in DIAC's regional area and prove it.

Perth is excluded
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:49 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

That was true when we were on the SIR, we could go to any state. There is a, go - no go, list of post codes on the IMMI site. DIAC need to see proof of one full year of full time employment. It doesn't matter how many employers as long as they're in the listed regions and are willing to give you a letter verifying your work history. At that time it only was the principle visa applicant that needed to do the work, which in our case was me, wifes work didn't count for anything.

If things haven't changed you should have two more years left to make up the years worth of work.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:53 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Not a bad idea. We know a number of teachers and they say there's no shortage of jobs out in the middle woop woop; not quite hell but you can it for there... No one ever stays in those jobs one minute longer than required so there appears to always be openings.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bix

If I read that quote correctly it says that even a state sponsored visa holder an move to different states as long as they keep to the regions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.