Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Originally Posted by furbacchione
If I read that quote correctly it says that even a state sponsored visa holder an move to different states as long as they keep to the regions
Definitely my understanding that a 475 visa holder can transfer state and so long as they stay regional it is complying with the visa terms.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:30 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
If I read that quote correctly it says that even a state sponsored visa holder an move to different states as long as they keep to the regions
Possibly.
It depends what it says on the condition attached to the visa.

"you and any secondary applicants will have a condition attached to your visas"

The condition may limit it to regional QLD so best to get written agreement if you need to go elsewhere.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:43 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Possibly.
It depends what it says on the condition attached to the visa.

"you and any secondary applicants will have a condition attached to your visas"

The condition may limit it to regional QLD so best to get written agreement if you need to go elsewhere.
It says 'must live/work/study in regional area' - no mention of Qld
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
It says 'must live/work/study in regional area' - no mention of Qld
I think you're OK to move but I'd get a professional opinion just to be sure
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
With that 475 visa you have to live and work in DIAC's regional area and prove it.

Perth is excluded
A large part of metropolitan Perth is excluded, but other parts are not, plus there's regional WA - see post 46 and your own link http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...nal-growth.htm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think you're OK to move but I'd get a professional opinion just to be sure
Originally Posted by HelenTD
A large part of metropolitan Perth is excluded, but other parts are not, plus there's regional WA - see post 46 and your own link http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...nal-growth.htm.

Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

or melbourne? I meet a lot of expats on the sunshine coast wondering why they cant get jobs - its becuase there arent many and the pay to start is rubbish.

my husband just works all over and gets plenty of work but we just couldnt live if he wanted to work within 20 minutes - after a while though you do get a network going. If I want to work outside of our own company (when we are cash strapped) I have to travel to Brisbane. Actually thats not exactly true as I have people I can work for here but dont want too as I would burn bridges as its always a temporary thing for me.

Its horrible being unemployed, I always employed british people but wont ever again unless they have been here 5 + years. the expectations are just too different, the work ethic is different and it is very hot which seems a big surprise to lots of employees. I mean - didnt they guess it would be hot?

I sound anti british, I am not but have bent over backwards too many times and just got sick of the whinging. really its because they are trying to get used to a new country that is very different but as an employer, its just too hard when the economy is as it is to support that. I dont find good Australians lazy at all - they work really hard
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:27 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it on the list?
Originally Posted by odyssey
or melbourne? I meet a lot of expats on the sunshine coast wondering why they cant get jobs - its becuase there arent many and the pay to start is rubbish.

my husband just works all over and gets plenty of work but we just couldnt live if he wanted to work within 20 minutes - after a while though you do get a network going. If I want to work outside of our own company (when we are cash strapped) I have to travel to Brisbane. Actually thats not exactly true as I have people I can work for here but dont want too as I would burn bridges as its always a temporary thing for me.

Its horrible being unemployed, I always employed british people but wont ever again unless they have been here 5 + years. the expectations are just too different, the work ethic is different and it is very hot which seems a big surprise to lots of employees. I mean - didnt they guess it would be hot?

I sound anti british, I am not but have bent over backwards too many times and just got sick of the whinging. really its because they are trying to get used to a new country that is very different but as an employer, its just too hard when the economy is as it is to support that. I dont find good Australians lazy at all - they work really hard
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by IvanM
Is it on the list?
Metro area is excluded.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IvanM
Is it on the list?
sorry missed that bit
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:45 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
That is wonderful news about your wife and hopefully the start of only good things for you and yours

I'm applying for all sorts of ridiculous jobs. Being unable to buy my daughter anything for her birthday really made me think that I really can't afford to let pride get in my way. A job is a job and needs must when the devil drives and all that! Actually, having said that .... I can't even get those jobs that I was too proud to apply for in the early days How to undermine my own confidence/self-esteem in one short paragraph of my own creation - d'oh!

Today, I'm pondering what course would I do if I went and did a course to possibly help my chances ? What do I want to be when I grow up? I have no idea. At the moment my aspiration is merely to be employed. Today's covering letter first draft went along the lines of "I'm not sure why I'm bothering, you aren't going to reply anyway". Not sure that that would be a winning line though

Well I have a few proverbial irons in the metaphorical fire so hopefully one of them will pay off Persistence is my new middle name ..... oh to be back in the happy days when it was Trouble
Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
That's fantastic Paulry ! I hope it works out and you get something soon.
Thanks ladies. All very much to wifeys credit. Things would be dire without her and her hard-earned successes.

Here in Canberra there is definately a good number of jobs about but the pecking order to secure one can be tough. My problem I think is more to do with the lack of demand here for my specific skill set. I've been working on adding to it and like you, SOB I have a few irons in the fire. Trying elsewhere in Australia is not an option because this city ticks a lot of boxes for my family right now and there's no way that I'll uproot them again.

If you want to add Canberra to your job search I'll he happy to help you both with some of the logistics if you need to come here to attend interviews, etc.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Ive been lucky in that I have never had a problem in finding a job in either Australia or the UK but one piece of advice I read on this forum before I moved over 5 years ago was take a job of any type to get Australian experience than move on after 6 months. I had to take a big pay cut for my first job but 9 months later I was doing well.

Obviously I managed to catch Australia before it's economy went to shit which I believe it is doing in all but mining.

Best of luck to all of you looking for work it certainly can't be easy for you.

And on the thread topic it's a global thing recruitment agents being crap I now have fun with the Australian ones that phone me up in London trying to get me to move back. I've even had a couple agree that it's not worth moving over because salaries are so low.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:47 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
If you want to add Canberra to your job search I'll he happy to help you both with some of the logistics if you need to come here to attend interviews, etc.
That's a kind offer from a kind bloke Unfortunately, moving from Cairns is not an option. My husband is a local lad and he has 2 sons from previous relationship here and I really don't think I could ask him to move away from them. The oldest should be able to take care of himself, but he can't, he keeps getting into scrapes and we get the inevitable phonecall. The younger is only 11 and I wouldn't want to be the cause of denying them each others company. In fact, the way my thinking goes at the moment, the only place I would move away to would be back to my family in the UK, but for my daughter's sake and my OH sake I don't want to do that. She is happily settled into school here and loves it, I don't want to risk upsetting that particular applecart with another move. Pfffft!

I've often heard the expression, "it's not what you know but who you know that counts", well my current irons in the fire will be testing that particular theory! I try not to get hopeful these days as the disappointment wears you down after a while, I try to maintain a que sera sera attitude ... but the eternal optimist/dreamer in me can't quite help but get a bit excited each time I submit an application about how life would be with a bit more income! I need a good slap sometimes!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Unemployment figures for May:

Cairns 10.8%

Australia 4.9% (average)
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:39 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
... take a job of any type to get Australian experience than move on after 6 months...
Agreed, getting that first period of local experience is very important. Sounds like TE and others are quite prepared to take crap jobs to get it but they're not available in the areas they need.

Have any of you considered non-profits? Certainly worked for me - although it wasn't the main reason I went for that kind of job, I found it surprisingly easy to get one. My experience is that they have very multicultural workforces and what you can do is more important than what pieces of paper you have. It's also quite the norm to move around every few years, and cross-cultural experience is a good thing. *

www.ethicaljobs.com.au is a good place to start looking (my current position is on there as I am having a break), although the usual online places also have such jobs if you can find your way round their search criteria.

Also, I don't think anybody has mentioned LinkedIn. Are all you jobhunters on there? Been talking about it with friends just this week and we all agree, it really has to be done. A lot of them got current roles through being contacted because of their profile, or have recruited through it, or have been contacted by agencies recently because of it. These days you really have to network and it's not something I do easily, so doing it online is much more palatable for me.

The Geek sees his MBA course as a great networking tool. Not a cheap one (although his is funded) but very worthwhile in terms of meeting people at a similar level, knowing who's hiring, etc.

* I know TE worked briefly for one. I also know that, if you've come from the real world, non-profits can be as frustrating as hell You just have to learn to chill a little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.