Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:56 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Is it the loss of tourists?

We have a site there. The only customer part not struggling is mining. The high AUD may stuff that for them though.

Originally Posted by Bix
Unemployment figures for May:

Cairns 10.8%

Australia 4.9% (average)
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Is it the loss of tourists?

We have a site there. The only customer part not struggling is mining. The high AUD may stuff that for them though.
Yes, but tourism is only half the story.

Construction bucked the country trend for a few months but eventually the GFC caught up with it. Hedley, CMC, Glenwood and CEC have all gone to the wall. Two of them this year after months of struggling to survive.
Not unusual for some casualties in hard times but these were the 4 biggest companies in Cairns. There are now no large construction / building companies left here.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:17 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Unemployment figures for May:

Cairns 10.8%

Australia 4.9% (average)
I think that 10.8% is highly euphemistic. Doesn't it represent the number of welfare applicants declaring themselves as job seeking? I understand you are not allowed to claim if your partner earns $500 a week +

Cairns is terrible for work and even the brief jobs we've had have been shoddy or impossible (him indoors had sales targets just utterly unachievable in a depressed town) - we're trapped until the marina fees end in September and both trying to find jobs away and then return at weekends and then move somewhere else. Sadly my only non-profit experience was abusive and bullying which has turned me off a bit - although it was again, probably a feature of an economy on its arse as people were unable to walk out and find positions elsewhere so it continued.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:18 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Construction bucked the country trend for a few months but eventually the GFC caught up with it. Hedley, CMC, Glenwood and CEC have all gone to the wall. Two of them this year after months of struggling to survive.
Not unusual for some casualties in hard times but these were the 4 biggest companies in Cairns. There are now no large construction / building companies left here.
Just 100 or so 'for lease' buildings - even in prime location areas. Shame it's the nicest part of FNQ.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by carolinehumbugs
i am so glad its just not me finding it hard was thinking i was crap and on the scrap heap at 46yr
46 is no age. Al Zawahiri has just been promoted to the Head of Al Qaeda and he is 59.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:26 am

We had a big downturn once the stimulus money went. Our site there would have done a lot of work for those companies you listed.

Originally Posted by Bix

Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:28 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
46 is no age. Al Zawahiri has just been promoted to the Head of Al Qaeda and he is 59.
Was the position advertised? Did equal opportunities apply? Did it have the potential for FIFO? I don't think I sent my resume off for that one. Oh dammit, another opportunity missed.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Agreed, getting that first period of local experience is very important. Sounds like TE and others are quite prepared to take crap jobs to get it but they're not available in the areas they need.
The problem with crap jobs is being over qualified. Why would an employer hire a person who is over qualified only to leave in 6 months when they can hire someone non-qualified who will stay for x-amount of years?

Also, I don't think anybody has mentioned LinkedIn. Are all you jobhunters on there? Been talking about it with friends just this week and we all agree, it really has to be done. A lot of them got current roles through being contacted because of their profile, or have recruited through it, or have been contacted by agencies recently because of it. These days you really have to network and it's not something I do easily, so doing it online is much more palatable for me.
LinkedIn is better for some positions and crap for others. Sales/marketing and IT related roles LinkedIn tends to be good for. Others not so.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:36 am

Does Afghanistan have a regional visa program?

Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:38 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think that 10.8% is highly euphemistic. Doesn't it represent the number of welfare applicants declaring themselves as job seeking?
Yes, I think it does represent all those signed on with Centrelink so the true unemployment figure will be higher.

I am not in the official figures and I'm pretty sure there will be a lot like me.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:42 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
The problem with crap jobs is being over qualified. Why would an employer hire a person who is over qualified only to leave in 6 months when they can hire someone non-qualified who will stay for x-amount of years?

LinkedIn is better for some positions and crap for others. Sales/marketing and IT related roles LinkedIn tends to be good for. Others not so.
That's my experience and dumbing down the CV has made no difference.

I've not found LinkedIn to be of any use so far either.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:56 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Yes, I think it does represent all those signed on with Centrelink so the true unemployment figure will be higher.

I am not in the official figures and I'm pretty sure there will be a lot like me.

*raises hand*
- I'm not an official statistic either.

We have a friend staying with us who had a really top job up here but was made redundant from that, and then found another job and was made redundant shortly afterwards. I'm sure they knew when they employed him that it was a short term thing, but that is a whole different story! Anyway, he is on benefits now, but I am absolutely staggered at the rigmarole he has to go through, he gets on average 5 letters a week from Centrelink. Yesterday alone, he received 6 letters in one hit! They must be a hugely inefficient organisation and are single-handedly trying to use a rainforest or threes worth of trees.

I don't like to ask our friend what the letters are about, but I have a suspicion that they go along the lines of
  1. "Dear Sir, We will be writing to you shortly about your claim for benefits"
  2. "Dear Sir, Further to our letter from earlier today, regrettably we will be unable to write to you further about your claim for benefits until later in the day"
  3. "Dear Sir, Due to an unforeseen improvement in our schedules due to Sheila returning early from lunch, we anticipate being able to respond to your claim for benefits later this afternoon"
  4. "Dear Sir, We are disappointed to have to write to advise you that whilst Sheila did come back from lunch early, Bruce took an elongated afternoon break and thus we are unlikely to be able to write to you concerning your claim til tomorrow."
  5. "Dear Sir, We have now spoken to Bruce who will be working late tonight to respond to your claim"
  6. "Oi you! I had to work late because of you. You want to claim? Get F***ed! Sincerely yours, Bruce"
  7. "Dear Sir, There is now a vacancy within our Department......"

Well, it's a thought!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag

*raises hand*
- I'm not an official statistic either.

We have a friend staying with us who had a really top job up here but was made redundant from that, and then found another job and was made redundant shortly afterwards. I'm sure they knew when they employed him that it was a short term thing, but that is a whole different story! Anyway, he is on benefits now, but I am absolutely staggered at the rigmarole he has to go through, he gets on average 5 letters a week from Centrelink. Yesterday alone, he received 6 letters in one hit! They must be a hugely inefficient organisation and are single-handedly trying to use a rainforest or threes worth of trees.

I don't like to ask our friend what the letters are about, but I have a suspicion that they go along the lines of
  1. "Dear Sir, We will be writing to you shortly about your claim for benefits"
  2. "Dear Sir, Further to our letter from earlier today, regrettably we will be unable to write to you further about your claim for benefits until later in the day"
  3. "Dear Sir, Due to an unforeseen improvement in our schedules due to Sheila returning early from lunch, we anticipate being able to respond to your claim for benefits later this afternoon"
  4. "Dear Sir, We are disappointed to have to write to advise you that whilst Sheila did come back from lunch early, Bruce took an elongated afternoon break and thus we are unlikely to be able to write to you concerning your claim til tomorrow."
  5. "Dear Sir, We have now spoken to Bruce who will be working late tonight to respond to your claim"
  6. "Oi you! I had to work late because of you. You want to claim? Get F***ed! Sincerely yours, Bruce"
  7. "Dear Sir, There is now a vacancy within our Department......"

Well, it's a thought!

Government and Authority employment is staggeringly high here. I think it's a way of job creation myself, which is why you rarely see any improvements in efficiency in these organisations - because you would end up with more people out of work.

S
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Government and Authority employment is staggeringly high here. I think it's a way of job creation myself, which is why you rarely see any improvements in efficiency in these organisations - because you would end up with more people out of work.

S
Exactly the same deep shit that Nu Labour put the UK in.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I love a bit of good old Aussie Milo Minderbender economics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.