Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Government and Authority employment is staggeringly high here. I think it's a way of job creation myself, which is why you rarely see any improvements in efficiency in these organisations - because you would end up with more people out of work.

S
This is very true for the UK too under Blair/Brown. A massive increase in government employment and is one of the factors in their current economic clusterf**k. Blair/Brown believed that increasing government was a form of economic growth - how very wrong they were. The current government there is having to make massive cuts in civil service numbers in order to reduce their huge budget deficit, causing huge unrest and resentment.

There is also an interesting piece in The Australian today about how reliant Tasmania is on government employment as they have very little economic activity without it.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Blair/Brown believed that increasing government was a form of economic growth
And a way to increase the amount of Labour voters and retain power.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:03 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag

*raises hand*
- I'm not an official statistic either.

Centrelink. They must be a hugely inefficient organisation and are single-handedly trying to use a rainforest or threes worth of trees.
Since the company I worked for went bust I've had to deal with 6 government agencies at one time or another and Centrelink were the most efficient of them !

I got everything sent to me electronically to save the paper and postage but yes, they do absolutely bury you with communications which are full of duplicated and repetitive stuff.

I was able to sign on initially and got the maximum Newstart Allowance of $200 per week (WOW!) but that stopped as soon as the Mrs got a job. Even so I still had to make out forms every fortnight and attend meetings but eventually I got fed up doing that so told them to stick it.

They appoint an official recruiter you have to see but I was just a number to them. All they were interested in doing was ticking some boxes so they got paid by Centrelink. On my first meeting the recruiter said "Oh, I don't think we'll be able to find work for you but we'll go through the motions anyway".
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:28 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
That's a kind offer from a kind bloke Unfortunately, moving from Cairns is not an option. My husband is a local lad and he has 2 sons from previous relationship here and I really don't think I could ask him to move away from them. The oldest should be able to take care of himself, but he can't, he keeps getting into scrapes and we get the inevitable phonecall. The younger is only 11 and I wouldn't want to be the cause of denying them each others company. In fact, the way my thinking goes at the moment, the only place I would move away to would be back to my family in the UK, but for my daughter's sake and my OH sake I don't want to do that. She is happily settled into school here and loves it, I don't want to risk upsetting that particular applecart with another move. Pfffft!

I've often heard the expression, "it's not what you know but who you know that counts", well my current irons in the fire will be testing that particular theory! I try not to get hopeful these days as the disappointment wears you down after a while, I try to maintain a que sera sera attitude ... but the eternal optimist/dreamer in me can't quite help but get a bit excited each time I submit an application about how life would be with a bit more income! I need a good slap sometimes!
I completely understand your reasons for being tied to Cairns. It would be unfair to your hubby to move him away from his sons. And to be honest if your daughter is happy and settled there after dragging her around the world then that is a good enough reason alone not to even entertain the idea of moving again. My sons are missing their UK friends and lifestyles (though I think they overplay it a bit) but they seem happy here. Eldest is back to returning straight A-s but he does need a bit of help with maths at the moment and youngest is enjoying all of the rugby that he's doing. Both are happy and uncomplaining except for youngest who wants more luxuries. Can't say I blame him because sometimes I'm often able to read "remind me... Why did you bring me here?" between his lines - Understandable given that the promised reasonable-income-fuelled lifestyle hasn't materialised yet.

The who you know remark seems to be very true here. Good luck with testing it out. And if it doesn't work don't lose heart because sooner or later just like this whole migration experience everything will come up trumps for you (and me) in the end and all the hassle and worry will be a thing of the past

...Two applications going in today
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:47 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
or melbourne? I meet a lot of expats on the sunshine coast wondering why they cant get jobs - its becuase there arent many and the pay to start is rubbish.

my husband just works all over and gets plenty of work but we just couldnt live if he wanted to work within 20 minutes - after a while though you do get a network going. If I want to work outside of our own company (when we are cash strapped) I have to travel to Brisbane. Actually thats not exactly true as I have people I can work for here but dont want too as I would burn bridges as its always a temporary thing for me.

Its horrible being unemployed, I always employed british people but wont ever again unless they have been here 5 + years. the expectations are just too different, the work ethic is different and it is very hot which seems a big surprise to lots of employees. I mean - didnt they guess it would be hot?

I sound anti british, I am not but have bent over backwards too many times and just got sick of the whinging. really its because they are trying to get used to a new country that is very different but as an employer, its just too hard when the economy is as it is to support that. I dont find good Australians lazy at all - they work really hard
That's interesting. So the perception/tendency of poms to whinge is the problem? You might well have a valid point but I've heard loads of Aussies whinge before to the point that I felt thoroughly outclassed. I'm unsure of your last remark. I don't find good British to be lazy at all either.

From what I've seen there's not much difference. Aussies seem more cheery but I often wonder how much of that is just a veneer. I've seen the happy mask slip too many times.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:55 pm
Banned

This is very true for the UK too under Blair/Brown. A massive increase in government employment and is one of the factors in their current economic clusterf**k. Blair/Brown believed that increasing government was a form of economic growth - how very wrong they were. The current government there is having to make massive cuts in civil service numbers in order to reduce their huge budget deficit, causing huge unrest and resentment.

There is also an interesting piece in The Australian today about how reliant Tasmania is on government employment as they have very little economic activity without it.
The amazing thing is loads of people seem to be blaming the pain that the nation is going through on the LibCons.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
The amazing thing is loads of people seem to be blaming the pain that the nation is going through on the LibCons.
It is but that's politics. Look at Obama. He has to try and sort out a financial mess that was not of his making, and he will live and die by how he handles it.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right.
They didn't build up sufficient reserves
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:20 pm
Banned

It is but that's politics. Look at Obama. He has to try and sort out a financial mess that was not of his making, and he will live and die by how he handles it.
Very true and it'll almost certainly be his downfall.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bix
Quite right.
They didn't build up sufficient reserves
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

.....to survive a free spending ALP term.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Also, I don't think anybody has mentioned LinkedIn. Are all you jobhunters on there? Been talking about it with friends just this week and we all agree, it really has to be done. A lot of them got current roles through being contacted because of their profile, or have recruited through it, or have been contacted by agencies recently because of it. These days you really have to network and it's not something I do easily, so doing it online is much more palatable for me.[/I]
Yep, have been in LinkedIn for years but have taken it more seriously since I've been in Oz. It's created a few opportunities but nothing concrete as yet. Am currently debating whether signing up for the 'Job Seeker Basic' option is actually worth the monthly subscription.

If anyone wants to connect (or have sticky beak) then here is a link to my profile. I'll connect to anyone, I'm a LinkedIn hussy!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bix
.....to survive a free spending ALP term.
Ah, I'm talking UK you're talking Australia
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Ah, I'm talking UK you're talking Australia
Oops
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Am currently debating whether signing up for the 'Job Seeker Basic' option is actually worth the monthly subscription.
It's not. Don't bother. Check your PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.