Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:13 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Recruitment Consultants Beware!

I'm getting a real Columbine style urge to nail some recruitment consultants. There seems to be no level of rudeness, lying and cheating that is unacceptable.

If there is a real job here, (ie, one that hasn't been filled internally or with a mate) it is then advertised by 5 recruitment consultants using different vague descriptions. Innocent victims apply for all 5 believing they are different positions only to never hear a bloody thing. Calling up the agent they tell you it was filled and you didn't have the skill set. Chances are they all claim to have filled it as they like to pretend they have volume- even though there was never a job with them anyway. It's an absolute minefield yet for each one you are forced to spend a good hour writing a covering letter and refining your CV.

Even when you get a interview here there is a good chance you never hear back from the agent. Him indoors had an interview in Innisfail for a job about 3 months ago and despite leaving 7 messages and emailing 5 times (mainly to embarrass them) they didn't have the decency to give him a response at all. This is common place. We even popped by when we were visiting chums there and saw the guy through a window - he went in and asked for him and was told 'he was out for lunch'! What a coward....

Another thing that is really grating on me is just how many people I meet socially offer up the old 'I'll get you in a job by tuesday. Plenty of opportunities at my school/company/mine blah blah... I'll be in touch in a week, here's my biz card.' They'll avoid you forever after and never get in touch! Why feel the need to lie!!?

Is anyone else getting the same treatment? I just cannot believe how you can be frustrated at every turn by the system and that honesty is soooo hard to find.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm getting a real Columbine style urge to nail some recruitment consultants. There seems to be no level of rudeness, lying and cheating that is unacceptable.

If there is a real job here, (ie, one that hasn't been filled internally or with a mate) it is then advertised by 5 recruitment consultants using different vague descriptions. Innocent victims apply for all 5 believing they are different positions only to never hear a bloody thing. Calling up the agent they tell you it was filled and you didn't have the skill set. Chances are they all claim to have filled it as they like to pretend they have volume- even though there was never a job with them anyway. It's an absolute minefield yet for each one you are forced to spend a good hour writing a covering letter and refining your CV.

Even when you get a interview here there is a good chance you never hear back from the agent. Him indoors had an interview in Innisfail for a job about 3 months ago and despite leaving 7 messages and emailing 5 times (mainly to embarrass them) they didn't have the decency to give him a response at all. This is common place. We even popped by when we were visiting chums there and saw the guy through a window - he went in and asked for him and was told 'he was out for lunch'! What a coward....

Another thing that is really grating on me is just how many people I meet socially offer up the old 'I'll get you in a job by tuesday. Plenty of opportunities at my school/company/mine blah blah... I'll be in touch in a week, here's my biz card.' They'll avoid you forever after and never get in touch! Why feel the need to lie!!?

Is anyone else getting the same treatment? I just cannot believe how you can be frustrated at every turn by the system and that honesty is soooo hard to find.
The vast majority of recruitment consultants are lying wankers. In Perth, I only deal with a few agencies that I know do a good job, the rest I avoid like the plague. It's no different in London unfortunately.

Crap agents are one of life's speedbumps.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:33 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The vast majority of recruitment consultants are lying wankers. In Perth, I only deal with a few agencies that I know do a good job, the rest I avoid like the plague. It's no different in London unfortunately.

Crap agents are one of life's speedbumps.
It feels like more of a massive prison than a speedbump - I'm not fulfilling my visa terms if I can't get a friggin' job soon.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:37 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I found all these things when I first arrived. I would add that it's all very tick box orientated too - if you don't match exactly the criteria that they are after, they won't put your CV forward, even if you have the knowledge/experience to do the job.

Very frustrating.

S
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, apart from the loose threat of mass murder, I could have written that. I've now hit a wall regarding employment. I had an interview last week (found the role myself not through recruiter) which went really well, got really good vibes but found out today that I'd been unsuccessful.

Getting past recruiters is the hard bit. IMHO 95% of them are a complete waste of space.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Wow, apart from the loose threat of mass murder, I could have written that. I've now hit a wall regarding employment. I had an interview last week (found the role myself not through recruiter) which went really well, got really good vibes but found out today that I'd been unsuccessful.

Getting past recruiters is the hard bit. IMHO 95% of them are a complete waste of space.
That's another thing actually (she seethes). The amount of times we've been told 'we'll get an offer in the post' , 'I'll call first thing to arrange start dates' and then nada! Just quit the bollocks! I don't get the desire to bullshit just to make you feel good....it's so degrading.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:50 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Job hunting is a job in itself and it has not to get down with the amateurism out there. Agents are agents and I try to avoid them as their behavior is predictably lazy. Cracking that hidden market of over half the jobs is key. Good luck, network and keep it up.

That's another thing actually (she seethes). The amount of times we've been told 'we'll get an offer in the post' , 'I'll call first thing to arrange start dates' and then nada! Just quit the bollocks! I don't get the desire to bullshit just to make you feel good....it's so degrading.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:51 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, why is someone of your caliber wasting their time an a hillbilly back water like Cairns? Surely Sydney/Melbourne is where your mad skills are best employed?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by renth
With respect, why is someone of your caliber wasting their time an a hillbilly back water like Cairns? Surely Sydney/Melbourne is where your mad skills are best employed?
I'm on a state sponsored Qld regional visa so don't have the option. Any jobs in any regional place (don't care about my moral duty) I'll take if anyone in the world has anything at all! Or if anyone sees alot of jobs in their area (preferably Qld or North NSW) I would love to know...

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jun 14th 2011 at 3:56 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

That's just it, there very often isn't a real job.

Recruiters advertise 'roles' to capture CVs, which they keep on their database which, in the event of a real job every coming up, they role out to prospective employers. Being in sole possession of your CV is of paramount importance to them. If you've applied for a number of 'jobs' with different agencies and distributed your CV all around town, they won't touch you with a barge pole, because they won't get any commission even if they could find you a job.

That's why the first question recruiters always ask is "Who've you sent your CV to?"

. . . and Australians (on the whole) hate confrontation, or being the bearers of bad news.

. . . and yes, they are a bunch of kernts.

Last edited by spartacus; Jun 14th 2011 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on a state sponsored Qld regional visa so don't have the option. Any jobs in any regional place (don't care about my moral duty) I'll take if anyone in the world has anything at all! Or if anyone sees alot of jobs in their area (preferably Qld or North NSW) I would love to know...
Oh, that must be pretty depressing for you.

I applied for a night fill job at Woolworths for some extra cash and got blown out "due to the high quality of the applicants" - wankers!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for a night fill job at Woolworths for some extra cash and got blown out "due to the high quality of the applicants" - wankers!
I'm now stuck in a beautiful catch 22 situation, I have too much experience for a junior position but I don't have enough 'recent' experience for a more senior role!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:06 pm

Seriously... I've been turned down cleaning jobs on that basis too.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:06 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

What's your background/skill set TE? You're very erudite in your posts, so I am guessing that you probably finished high school...

S
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
What's your background/skill set TE? You're very erudite in your posts, so I am guessing that you probably finished high school...

S
I'm an Aussie qualified English/SOSE/Business teacher registered with Ed Qld
Ex-commods trader/broker (will be none of that regionally I know)
Have managed teams of people in commods/broking houses
Journalist/writer/comms officer etc

Problem is the employment market here (I hope) - locals first, then Aussies, Brits last... Unemployment is really high here - hopefully it's not the same everywhere else I am allowed to work. Things are getting desperate - 2nd year of our 475 and I've not started the compulsory work one year.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jun 14th 2011 at 4:15 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.