Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Wikiposts

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm an Aussie qualified English/SOSE/Business teacher registered with Ed Qld
Ex-commods trader/broker (will be none of that regionally I know)
Have managed teams of people in commods/broking houses
Journalist/writer/comms officer etc

Problem is the employment market here (I hope) - locals first, then Aussies, Brits last... Unemployment is really high here - hopefully it's not the same everywhere else I am allowed to work. Things are getting desperate - 2nd year of our 475 and I've not started the compulsory work one year.
Your biggest problem is having those quals in Nth QLD. You should really be in Sydney.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:32 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Your biggest problem is having those quals in Nth QLD. You should really be in Sydney.

Have to agree with that. Though the regional visa really ties you in there. Plus the boat. Can't live on a boat in Sydney Harbour.

Can you set something up yourself? Some day trading or something? Or do you need no end of regulatory approval etc etc etc to do that. That's a stupid question. Of course you do...

I fully understand what it's like to be overskilled...

S
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The vast majority of recruitment consultants are lying wankers. In Perth, I only deal with a few agencies that I know do a good job, the rest I avoid like the plague. It's no different in London unfortunately.

Crap agents are one of life's speedbumps.
Don't suppose you care to mention a few good ones, so my O/H can go speak with them, the one hes with now, don't appear to pay there phone bill as he can never get in touch with them via phone? He got placed a few weeks ago, on the promise of full time work, he as been told by the employer that its for 3 months probably, yet my O/H made it very clear he was only interested in full time as in forever not a casual few weeks/months, hes so pissed off at the minute.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:38 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Have to agree with that. Though the regional visa really ties you in there. Plus the boat. Can't live on a boat in Sydney Harbour.

Can you set something up yourself? Some day trading or something? Or do you need no end of regulatory approval etc etc etc to do that. That's a stupid question. Of course you do...

S
I'm wondering if there is a city where it is commutable for one of us to work there (but live in a regional post code) and the other to do something in the regional place. The other thing I am trying is working in the outback at a school and flying back to Cairns at weekends.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:42 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if there is a city where it is commutable for one of us to work there (but live in a regional post code) and the other to do something in the regional place. The other thing I am trying is working in the outback at a school and flying back to Cairns at weekends.

Are you stuck in QLD? Is it State Sponsored? Some of the larger inland cities are still considered regional. I believe that Canberra is.

Could you do that just to get your first job under your belt? that's the killer - if you can show that you have worked in an Aussie workplace, then you are pretty much treated like an Aussie then. It's hard work finding something straight off the plane though.

S
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered getting a job as a recruiter? As an ex-trader/broker you would be snapped up.

Work from home in QLD and place them into firms in Sydney.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:52 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Are you stuck in QLD? Is it State Sponsored? Some of the larger inland cities are still considered regional. I believe that Canberra is.

Could you do that just to get your first job under your belt? that's the killer - if you can show that you have worked in an Aussie workplace, then you are pretty much treated like an Aussie then. It's hard work finding something straight off the plane though.

S
I've worked in commodity trading in Sydney and had a job up in Cairns for an Indigenous organisation (although I walked out of the 2nd so wouldn't put it on my CV). Canberra? I can't work in government jobs as a temp resident - I think the regional capitals are Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:56 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the recruitment agents are dumb Brit backpackers who really don't gave a shit. I flatly refuse to talk to any with that London accent. They were selling insurance or finance in the UK, arrive here and start selling jobs.

Think positive Turbo. Start an agency. I keep threatening to do it myself. Vet the applicants, and use common sense and good manners, and you are bound to make money.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Don't suppose you care to mention a few good ones, so my O/H can go speak with them, the one hes with now, don't appear to pay there phone bill as he can never get in touch with them via phone? He got placed a few weeks ago, on the promise of full time work, he as been told by the employer that its for 3 months probably, yet my O/H made it very clear he was only interested in full time as in forever not a casual few weeks/months, hes so pissed off at the minute.
Amazulu's list of engineering agents in Perth:
Technical Resources
Swan Recruitment
TAD
Execom

Like London, Perth only has a few good agencies, the rest are not worth bothering with IMO
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:59 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

S
I think you mean oversexed....
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked in commodity trading in Sydney and had a job up in Cairns for an Indigenous organisation (although I walked out of the 2nd so wouldn't put it on my CV). Canberra? I can't work in government jobs as a temp resident - I think the regional capitals are Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin.
Why are you going for a regional visa? Surely you have the quals/experience to go for straight PR, which would enable you to work anywhere?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
A lot of the recruitment agents are dumb Brit backpackers who really don't gave a shit. I flatly refuse to talk to any with that London accent. They were selling insurance or finance in the UK, arrive here and start selling jobs.

Think positive Turbo. Start an agency. I keep threatening to do it myself. Vet the applicants, and use common sense and good manners, and you are bound to make money.
The agents I've dealt with are all Aussie chicks called Caitlin, Tayla, Shanya etc... Box tickers - unless you have experience in the exact role they pretend to advertising you ain't getting past the Barkin's vinyl slacks...

Might give the commodities/broking jobs agency idea a bit of thought depending on the regulations required to do so...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why are you going for a regional visa? Surely you have the quals/experience to go for straight PR, which would enable you to work anywhere?
No. I can't get straight PR.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

I do dislike the London Wideboys.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

The agents I've dealt with are all Aussie chicks called Caitlin, Tayla, Shanya etc... Box tickers - unless you have experience in the exact role they pretend to advertising you ain't getting past the Barkin's vinyl slacks...

Might give the commodities/broking jobs agency idea a bit of thought depending on the regulations required to do so...
They haven't brought in new regulations regarding thinking about things have they?! . . . where will it all end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.