Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:14 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Originally Posted by Seasider
Also, I don't think anybody has mentioned LinkedIn. Are all you jobhunters on there? Been talking about it with friends just this week and we all agree, it really has to be done. A lot of them got current roles through being contacted because of their profile, or have recruited through it, or have been contacted by agencies recently because of it. These days you really have to network and it's not something I do easily, so doing it online is much more palatable for me.

.[/I]
I agree re Linkedin, I am getting more calls from my linkedin these days than from anywhere else. In fact I have the link on the top of my CV.

Linkedin gives a lot of credibility. I can slap Proctologist on my CV and no one would comment, but if I put it on my linkedin all of my friends would call me asking what the hell I was talking about.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:33 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
They appoint an official recruiter you have to see but I was just a number to them. All they were interested in doing was ticking some boxes so they got paid by Centrelink. On my first meeting the recruiter said "Oh, I don't think we'll be able to find work for you but we'll go through the motions anyway".
That is quite appalling really. It may very well express a true reflection of the market at the moment, something that they know and you know, but an horrendously unprofessional thing to verbalise. I'm full of outraged indignation to the extent that I think it's time for a soothing cup of tea

I wonder what sort of business all us unemployed expats could cook up between us - perhaps it doesn't bear thinking about!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:23 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
That is quite appalling really. It may very well express a true reflection of the market at the moment, something that they know and you know, but an horrendously unprofessional thing to verbalise.
My exact thoughts at the time.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

That is quite appalling really. It may very well express a true reflection of the market at the moment, something that they know and you know, but an horrendously unprofessional thing to verbalise. I'm full of outraged indignation to the extent that I think it's time for a soothing cup of tea
Centrelink's remit is to (try to) fill unskilled type jobs. Anyone with any professional skills is way outside of their area and so they are unable to fill them and won't even try.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:42 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Centrelink's remit is to (try to) fill unskilled type jobs. Anyone with any professional skills is way outside of their area and so they are unable to fill them and won't even try.
That in itself is all well and good but why then force people to regularly have pointless meetings with these job agencies who admit themselves that there is nothing they can do. If their heart isn't in it, then that surely will be reflected in the effort that they put in on your behalf.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

That in itself is all well and good but why then force people to regularly have pointless meetings with these job agencies who admit themselves that there is nothing they can do. If their heart isn't in it, then that surely will be reflected in the effort that they put in on your behalf.
Because it is a government department. It's to justify their existence at taxpayers expense and keep them in a job.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:19 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Post Re: Recruitment Consultants Beware!

Recruitment agents really are my pet hate with Australia and Britain. Shouldn't HR be doing these jobs?????
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Recruitment agents really are my pet hate with Australia and Britain. Shouldn't HR be doing these jobs?????
For the 1st time ever, you've posted something that I agree with!

It's a very good question
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:23 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

That is funny.

edit: I mean the Youtube link.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Weebie
HR are exceptionally bad at recruitment.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:27 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Amazulu I remember my first real job interview it was a trainee drafty position at Fluor. It was great! they interviewed me and made the decision fantastic!!!

All downhill sence then though.