Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I believe that's techincally correct but for such an old conviction he should be fine. I've been to the US, both visiting and transit, several times with old convictions without declaring anything and nothings happened.
It won't be fine if its not declared and they find out. Unless they are able to link your finger prints to worldwide databases instantly as you proceed through immigration then the chances of being turned around are pretty slim. Never been a problem with my old arrest record.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
So it likely means anyone flying from anywhere other than MEL or SYD will travel on either all EK flights or a mix of QF/EK. I know a certain witch who won't like that!
Too freaking right Looks like I'll be flying Singapore Airlines in future.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:25 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Having been a regular reader of the US boards, it's not something I'd do.
Likewise.
Especially looking at some of the hassles people have had when they have "forgotten to declare an old arrest or conviction and thyen years later they get a job offer there or need a visa for another reason and it comes to light. They aren't as forgiving as DIAC.
A few other issues to be borne in mind too - if you have to apply for a B2 instead of using the VWP because of convictions it can take 6 months or more to come through - not a last minute thing. And if they do refuse you entry then you almost certainly cannot use the VWP ever again, you have to have a visa every time. Almost makes a night in Dubai being hassled by Arabs look preferable.......
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this does not affect my premium economy seat singers to london mid november. I pick a certain flight/seat
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:31 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hope this does not affect my premium economy seat singers to london mid november. I pick a certain flight/seat
Its not supposed to have any effect until after April. I shall be equally miffed if I end up having to cancel October and rebook with another airline
Howevr as their website has already downgraded to a naff one reminiscent of something Hardly Normal would produce so I wouldn't hold your breath

Edited to add - definitely don't hold your breath - the flight I did to Venice from Gatwick last April is now showing in my profile as a booking awaiting payment for this November coming, Emirats are obviously just as efficient now as in 2000 when they refused me a beer cos the Arab next to me didn't want me to have one

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 6th 2012 at 9:40 am.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:35 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
As I said up thread, it isn't coming in till April 2013 - and that's if they get the regulators OK.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder what it will do to SIA prices? I know it's a bit early yet but I was looking at return trip to LHR from MEL and it was over $6k for the two of us . I want to do a few stop offs and so far pricing up one ways between ports of call is about $1k cheaper!!!

Much prefer SIA to QF or EK. QF doesn't have foot rests, which is not good for short legged people and EK, I find their service a bit hit and miss usually getting fed just as the plane is about to land!

We did Jetstar return to for our Malaysian holiday just gone (then MAS and Air Asia) and apart from no foot rest Jetstar was far more comfortable than QF! The only downside is that we paid for the upgrade package to include food, seat choice and air miles but think we were cheated a bit on the food and drink.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Almost makes a night in Dubai being hassled by Arabs look preferable.......
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:23 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

So you were arrested for football hooliganism?
Doesn't stop you transiting but you will not be eligible for a visa waiver - therefore you need to apply for a visa in advance.
Originally Posted by Beoz
I believe it does. You still need to apply for VWP for transit and the little question is there. "have you ever been arrested or convicted ........". If the answer is yes then it's off to the embassy for a few questions before a visa is granted. Of course you can just overlook the little Selhurst incident from the 70's
No, you aren't eligible to use the VWP if you've ever been arrested - you apply for an actual visa in advance - and if that's granted you can transit (or visit).
Please stop spreading nonsense. The question on ESTA is "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?" Getting kicked out of the single worst :P football ground in England is none of those things, although strictly speaking supporting Crystal Palace is the sign of a degenerate mind.

Almost makes a night in Dubai being hassled by Arabs look preferable.......
Rah rah rah rah it's teh Arabs, it's teh Muslims, it's teh Arabs. Pitchfork-waving toss.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Sep 6th 2012 at 10:25 am.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise.
Especially looking at some of the hassles people have had when they have "forgotten to declare an old arrest or conviction and thyen years later they get a job offer there or need a visa for another reason and it comes to light. They aren't as forgiving as DIAC.
A few other issues to be borne in mind too - if you have to apply for a B2 instead of using the VWP because of convictions it can take 6 months or more to come through - not a last minute thing. And if they do refuse you entry then you almost certainly cannot use the VWP ever again, you have to have a visa every time. Almost makes a night in Dubai being hassled by Arabs look preferable.......
Yep

A real hassle if you've been saying 'No' all these years and a US job comes your way. Drug arrests and convictions are an instant no no. So if you got caught at a rock concert with a joint 20 years ago you're screwed. I saw the sniffer dog get no less than 5 people in the space of 10 minutes at the BDO last year. What I don't get is that it applies to just arrests too. It means some junior copper can mistakenly put you in a set of cuffs, then its off to the US embassy for a B2.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Please stop spreading nonsense. The question on ESTA is "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?" Getting kicked out of the single worst :P football ground in England is none of those things, although strictly speaking supporting Crystal Palace is the sign of a degenerate mind.

Rah rah rah rah it's teh Arabs, it's teh Muslims, it's teh Arabs. Pitchfork-waving toss.
... And if your phone the embassy to find out what moral turpitude is they take your name and tell you to come in for a B2. Try it.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Please stop spreading nonsense. The question on ESTA is "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?"
http://london.usembassy.gov/add_req.html

Travelers with arrests/conviction(s)

Under United States visa law people who have been arrested at anytime are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may require a special restricted visa in order to travel. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are not eligible to travel visa free; they must apply for B-1 or B-2 visas. If they attempt to travel under the VWP, they may be refused entry into the United States.

Am I missing something?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:45 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

are you seeking entry to engage in immoral activities?
yes
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://london.usembassy.gov/add_req.html

Travelers with arrests/conviction(s)

Under United States visa law people who have been arrested at anytime are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may require a special restricted visa in order to travel. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are not eligible to travel visa free; they must apply for B-1 or B-2 visas. If they attempt to travel under the VWP, they may be refused entry into the United States.

Am I missing something?
Yeah. Try and find the same thing on the US Embassy website in Australia.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yeah. Try and find the same thing on the US Embassy website in Australia.
http://canberra.usembassy.gov/visa_waiver_prog.html

The more information link gives you:

If you have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, have a criminal record, have certain serious communicable illnesses, have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed on the VWP, you may not be eligible for VWP travel and should not attempt to travel without a visa.

Slightly less clear cut, but still visa in advance essentially required.

Of course it also says try ESTA first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.