Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pistorius. Guilty or not?

Pistorius. Guilty or not?

Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pistorius. Guilty or not?

Originally Posted by Beoz
So having a gun in the house for protection, sport, whatever is not a rare thing?

My understanding is that firearm ownership is very high in SA, and it's not at all uncommon for people to won them.

S
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:15 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm right loads of times, it's just that you dont always agree.
I say that to my husband all the time!

Yep ... Sounds a nice love affair. ... Got anything concrete? ...... I'm finding it hard to make a decision on shades of grey and the women's rights movement.
Women's rights movement? Are you high? Did he not shoot his girlfriend 4 times? He knew it was her, it's a whole load of BS that he thought it was a intruder. They were fighting she was locked in the toilet with her phone, now who locks the door on the ensuite at 3 in the morning taking there phone if they've just woken up for a pee? Not me or anyone else I know! I have however locked myself in the bathroom with my phone if I've been arguing.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So having a gun in the house for protection, sport, whatever is not a rare thing?
Very common. There were always guns in my house when I was growing up and I owned many right up until I left

I love guns and miss them

Restricting gun ownership is one of the things that most western countries have got wrong IMO - but that's a debate for another day
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Very common. There were always guns in my house when I was growing up and I owned many right up until I left

Restricting gun ownership is one of the things that most western countries have got wrong IMO - but that's a debate for another day

Do you not have access to firearms in WA? In NSW it seems reasonably straightforward to obtain weapons, providing it's done through the umbrella of a n approved club etc. I looked at joining the local pistol club, but once through the tests and probation, revolvers and semi automatics are certainly available for target shooting.

Of course there's quite a bit of regulation on where and how they are stored, but you can obtain them.

S
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:24 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

True! One of my old neighbours was stabbed to death by her boyfriend she had 17 stab wounds, if he'd had a gun her death may have been less painful. People will kill with whatever they have available to them if they really want to kill someone.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Are you high?
Only on weekends

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Did he not shoot his girlfriend 4 times? He knew it was her, it's a whole load of BS that he thought it was a intruder. They were fighting she was locked in the toilet with her phone, now who locks the door on the ensuite at 3 in the morning taking there phone if they've just woken up for a pee? Not me or anyone else I know! I have however locked myself in the bathroom with my phone if I've been arguing.
I take my phone with me to the toilet all the time. Before phones could read the news, it was a newspaper.

At the end of the day, you are speculating. The purpose of the court is to determine beyond reasonable doubt whether he intentionally killed his girlfriend.

It's going to be very hard for a prosecutor to prove that. A recorded conversation or letter is probably the only way.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Restricting gun ownership is one of the things that most western countries have got wrong IMO -
So possessing a firearm and intending on using it as self protection is a perfectly reasonable argument in SA, whilst not so in the UK and Oz?

Remember that farmer that shot that burglar in the UK many years ago? There was uproar if I remember correctly.

but that's a debate for another day
Probably best.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So possessing a firearm and intending on using it as self protection is a perfectly reasonable argument in SA, whilst not so in the UK and Oz?

Remember that farmer that shot that burglar in the UK many years ago? There was uproar if I remember correctly.
That case was a disgrace - the guy should have been given a reward instead of prison

Saying that, the old Italian boy here in the hills who shot a couple of burglars inside his house a few years ago didn't get charged
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Do you not have access to firearms in WA? In NSW it seems reasonably straightforward to obtain weapons, providing it's done through the umbrella of a n approved club etc. I looked at joining the local pistol club, but once through the tests and probation, revolvers and semi automatics are certainly available for target shooting.

Of course there's quite a bit of regulation on where and how they are stored, but you can obtain them.

S
As G might say, just like the UK....;-)

Only on weekends

I take my phone with me to the toilet all the time. Before phones could read the news, it was a newspaper.

At the end of the day, you are speculating. The purpose of the court is to determine beyond reasonable doubt whether he intentionally killed his girlfriend.

It's going to be very hard for a prosecutor to prove that. A recorded conversation or letter is probably the only way.
Well said..

For what it's worth, I think it is likely he will be found culpable on a charge due to the criminal act and recklessness. I admit that I am introducing a Westminster type system viewpoint: there is scope for acquittal and lesser charges etc.

As for intruder law many countries and Us states allow a homeowner a lot more latitude with criminal culpability with regards to trespass...the old Anglo-Saxon castle thing.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
If you say so....
I'm partly jesting mate. As per my PM talking about bullets and even indeed, guns(!) tends to be a lay person thing. But a scientist or maybe forensics person may talk about a bullet.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 8:13 am
Well Endowed Member

The Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really nice

Serious question:

How many burglars lock themselves in toilet cubicles prior to or post criminal activity unless they were caught short and needed to squeeze one out?

Case rested m'lud ...
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Squire of Onchan
Serious question:

How many burglars lock themselves in toilet cubicles prior to or post criminal activity unless they were caught short and needed to squeeze one out?

Case rested m'lud ...
Found 1

http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfn...gs_toilet.html
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Squire of Onchan
Serious question:

Case rested m'lud ...
But people do the strangest things under pressure...I might do it: buy time for an escape 2 mins down the line...

It's called flapping...
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The law may be an ass but it tends to employ people who can see over usual BE tabloid 'they reckon' and 'they say' and 'it was not like this' and 'they don't do this' or 'they don't do that'...

I haven't read the link but I bet the burglar panicked....
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The law may be an ass but it tends to employ people who can see over usual BE tabloid 'they reckon' and 'they say' and 'it was not like this' and 'they don't do this' or 'they don't do that'...

I haven't read the link but I bet the burglar panicked....
When people flap they can revert to childish behaviour..
It's like when people are caught lying by a spouse:
'No I didn't!'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.