Perth ???

Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth ???

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Sound advice.
I agree that the first part contains good advice. As for the second, I dislike seeing sentiments such as this, whether they are being directed towards expats here or towards immigrants in the UK by the likes of the BNP.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hoveactually
I agree that the first part contains good advice. As for the second, I dislike seeing sentiments such as this, whether they are being directed towards expats here or towards immigrants in the UK by the likes of the BNP.
Spot on.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Spot on.
??

So you are agreeing with someone who disagrees with you ???
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Where am I agreeing with someone who disagrees with me?

I'm of the thinking that people who spout on about 'Fit in or ***** off' are out of order, but that kind of attitude is seen as acceptable in Australia, where as in the UK it most certainly wouldn't be accepted.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Little Lisa 1971 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Perth ???

Anyone with good comments about the Peel Region!!! We're in the process of applying for State Sponsorship and were planning on settling down in Mandurah.

All this negativity is starting to worry us!!

We've never lived in a city nor wanted to, we're looking for for a nice area to bring up our two children aged 14 & 11, we want to enjoy Australias laidback outside lifestyle and hope to get it in Peel.

Anyone in the Peel Region reading this, please give me some info good or bad!

Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Where am I agreeing with someone who disagrees with me?

I'm of the thinking that people who spout on about 'Fit in or ***** off' are out of order, but that kind of attitude is seen as acceptable in Australia, where as in the UK it most certainly wouldn't be accepted.
If saying that was more acceptable here in the UK then perhaps less of us would be looking to leave!

I have several friends from different cultures, born overseas who continue to respect or even revere their own culture but have adapted their day to day lifestyle to fit in to their new home, the UK.

For those who aren't willing to fit in they should indeed **** off, whether in UK, Germany, Oz or Pakistan.

It would make no sense to emigrate to Saudi Arabia and complain you can't get a good pint all day would it?
So don't complain about no 'good Indian curry', missing eastenders and no soccer on TV in the local village pub in OZ.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little Lisa 1971
Anyone with good comments about the Peel Region!!! We're in the process of applying for State Sponsorship and were planning on settling down in Mandurah.

All this negativity is starting to worry us!!

We've never lived in a city nor wanted to, we're looking for for a nice area to bring up our two children aged 14 & 11, we want to enjoy Australias laidback outside lifestyle and hope to get it in Peel.

Anyone in the Peel Region reading this, please give me some info good or bad!

Thanks
Look Here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=805180

further questions post as a new thread
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stuckinswansea
If saying that was more acceptable here in the UK then perhaps less of us would be looking to leave!

I have several friends from different cultures, born overseas who continue to respect or even revere their own culture but have adapted their day to day lifestyle to fit in to their new home, the UK.

For those who aren't willing to fit in they should indeed **** off, whether in UK, Germany, Oz or Pakistan.

It would make no sense to emigrate to Saudi Arabia and complain you can't get a good pint all day would it?
So don't complain about no 'good Indian curry', missing eastenders and no soccer on TV in the local village pub in OZ.
If "fitting in" in Perth, or anywhere else for that matter, means having to embrace this kind of bumper sticker mentality then I hope to goodness that I never fit in. To me it is such a mean-spirited thing to say and the sort of thing that goes on in the playground where you are not part of the in crowd unless you are wearing a particular type of trainer.
I have never understood the type of thought process that says, for instance, that even though you may be in your 40s and have been following a particular football team since you started going to matches with your dad as a child, you have to immediately switch to AFL as soon as you get here. Why can't there be room for both without the need for the constant football is so boring/AFL is so much better. I wonder if it's a man thing - I don't follow either.
I also wonder who the custodian is of the list that specifies what you do/do not have to do to fit in; must give up your old hobbies but ok not to send your child to the local state school. If getting up at 5.30am to go jogging is on the list I'd better get my coat now!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hoveactually
If getting up at 5.30am to go jogging is on the list I'd better get my coat now!
Oooh! I'll give in if that is on the list, much to early for me.

Seriously, I do take your point about not expecting people to give up important things and I'm fine with that. Sport, Origami, Religion whatever...

What I was referring to was, if for instance you want to continue supporting soccer after a move to Oz be happy with what (I've no idea) is available on the TV, don't complain the X vs Y match is on & 'doesn't the rest of the world realise how important the match is' etc.... or any of the other of the hundreds of why is it not like home posts on here.
If in doubt, just move to rural france just 'across the water' and see how much sympathy you get there if their village is not the way that you wanted it to be.