Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Inland Revenue - Tax back - Letting them know?

Inland Revenue - Tax back - Letting them know?

Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:34 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Inland Revenue - Tax back - Letting them know?

Hi,

One thing i was wondering though, we both would be owed money back from the Inland Revenue, as we both have worked full time up until now. But because we are leaving our savings in the UK; if we went, then we will both will wait until the end of the tax year to claim what we are owed. As some of the money will come from overpayment of tax due to savings interest. So, we will submit i think its callled a R43 in April 2010, if we were in Australia, but do you need to tell the Inland Revenue that you are leaving the UK, even if at the time you are Not claiming any money back?

Thanks Sooty.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland Revenue - Tax back - Letting them know?

I spoke with HMRC yesterday and was advised to fill out P85 and P50.

Pete
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
I spoke with HMRC yesterday and was advised to fill out P85 and P50.

Pete
I wouldn't hold your breath on getting anything back off the tax man. We lodged our self assessment in April and are still waiting to hear back from them. Called them a couple of months ago and they said it would take 8 - 10 weeks to even look at it!! UK Government useless...
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

Well I dont know about that-may depend on how complicated your tax affairs are.
I did my self asses beginning of may and got 5 grand back in aug.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by oldandbold
Well I dont know about that-may depend on how complicated your tax affairs are.
I did my self asses beginning of may and got 5 grand back in aug.
Nice.. still took them 3 months though.. I can do my aussie tax in 15 minutes online and get the money in 2 weeks. At least Australia has got the tax system sorted.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:30 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markbhx
Nice.. still took them 3 months though.. I can do my aussie tax in 15 minutes online and get the money in 2 weeks. At least Australia has got the tax system sorted.
I got mine aussie return back in 1 week . . . not that I'm bragging!

We filled in form P85, took them 4 months to send out the over payment, and also told my hubby that he had an underpayment from 2 years ago, that they never told him about. So now HE owes THEM!!!!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

whoops made error- got the rebate in july.
So a bit quicker- about 8 weeks. My partners took 3 weeks but much less complicated than mine.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:11 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

My question was regarding;

If you are leaving the UK, and not claiming anything back at the time of leaving, so NOT sending anything off to the HMRC at the time of leaving the UK.

Do you still need to inform them?

Sooty
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep

If you are leaving the UK, and not claiming anything back at the time of leaving, so NOT sending anything off to the HMRC at the time of leaving the UK.

Sooty
No. Not if your tax affairs are straightforward PAYE..
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

But if you leave the uk in the middle of a tax year you are entitled to the full year tax allowances,(look up split year on gov web site) and if on PAYE then you should be able to get a reasonable refund.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep

Sooty
I suppose ultimately you do no need to inform them, but it's probabaly in your interest to advise them as the chances are you will be due a refund.

As for the Aus v UK system (a different post) - they are totally different principles so of course the repayment times will be different. I never had to submit a tax return in the UK, so I never had to wait for money to be refunded because I did not overpay in the first place.