Perth ???

Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth ???

Originally Posted by perth bound
hello all, we have sold our house and hoping to make the move to Perth end of November 09. I have been following posts about Perth for a long time but recently it seems there has been some negative posts, particularly about schools and one about gangs hanging around shopping centres, macdonalds etc..

I have to say that when we visited last year we didn't see gangs hanging around, did we just not notice it?

I would love to read more positive posts because the negative ones plant the seeds of doubt, are we doing the right thing.

I have 3 boys 6, 9 & 12

We are heading NOR.

If this post could generate some more views on life NOR good or bad it would really help me.

Thank you in advance

I wouldnt call them 'gangs', but certainly i am noticing more and more groups of young people congregating around fast food places, in cycle underpaths and notably around joondalup train station/lakeside shopping centre. most of these appear to be young girls with Kinross or Waneroo school tops hanging out with the most hideous looking young "men" in ridiculous attire. the girls have way too much make up on and all look very similar. kids from the 'better' schools who walk past are generally ribbed and laughed at. but its really just the ususal teenage stuff - not scarey or intimidating. my mum said the same about me ie too much make up and hideous boyfriends.

joking aside this is one of the things i have came to realise since being in australia - you cannot protect your children from everything and you cannot stop them growing up and experimenting and doing things you dont want them to do. we are going back to england next year as we have realised that the same problems exist here as in england and life is no better FOR US - just more sunshine.

schools are a mixed bag - more so than in the uk i think. there is a huge "old boys network" in perth and who you went to school with/what school you went to is very important in later professional life - i hear them talk about it at work on a daily basis. most middle class australians send their kids to private school, even those who have a decent state school. my colleague is sending his boys to a prestigious private school on the basis that when he is older and looking for work, he will be able to use his friendships for a leg up.

i think perth is a beautiful city and at the moment, there is less people therefore generally less crime. i think people who can settle happily here will have a nice life in pleasant surroundings. but since i dont fish, drive off road or own a boat, its not for me long term. But thats not to say it wont be for you. you may have seeds of doubt but it wouldnt be normal not to have them. better going with your eyes open in my opinion.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Amongst other things, yes ...

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Is it because you can't deal with the excitement any longer?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:14 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar

There aren't enough people in Perth who are awake past 6pm to form a gang.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all who have posted to my original post, it really does help, I think I am just having pre-moving nerves which I guess is normal.

I am moving to Duncraig/Padbury area, so the Schools we are looking at are
Padbury Primary and the Senior Schools are Duncraig SHS Carine SHS and Sacred Heart.

I have heard pretty good reports about the Primary school but if anyone can shed any light on the Senior schools I've mentioned then please do I am looking on the internet but first hand experience and views are what I am after.
I do know that Sacred Heart is private and catholic, my boys currently attend catholic schools here in UK . (but we don't have to pay here!!) so I am looking at both the options in Perth

I have my son sitting with me at the moment and he is pestering me to ask about dirt bikes, obviously that seems more important to him than schools!
So the question from my 12 yr old is: where do people go to ride dirt bikes in Perth?

again thanks in advance for your replies
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Duncraig SHS Carine SHS and Sacred Heart.
Dungraig is supposed to be good, not sure about Carine but you'd have trouble getting in to Sacred Heart as they have a huge waiting list.

I have my son sitting with me at the moment and he is pestering me to ask about dirt bikes, obviously that seems more important to him than schools!
So the question from my 12 yr old is: where do people go to ride dirt bikes in Perth?
Loads of places to ride dirt bikes in Perth, sadly many people like to ride on the pavement and the local park.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was recently 4wd'ing up at Sawyers Valley and Mundaring (Perth Hills) recently and saw loads of dirt bikers. There was one spot - far away from prying eyes - where there were about 30 bikers doing jumps, tricks and generally making a lot of noise.

Great stuff.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:20 pm
PR and proud

ChuiRafiki is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MerleOberon
Perth will be what you make it, not what others tell you about it. We don't fish, own a boat or a 4WD, but we don't feel out of place. Nor do we have school-age kids. Perth is no paradise; it has its issues like any city (and it is a city!), and Saturday nights in Northbridge can be a bit challenging (for example). But it has lots of great things going for it. Good galleries; Freo down the coast, Rottnest off to the west; great beaches; Swan Valley and all its wineries; decent restaurants (and some not so good, of course); lots of coffee shops; decent shops (even if they do close early: good for the staff, though?); easy access to hills and bush if all that water gets too much for you... Great people, too. Anyone can adapt to a different way of doing things, provided they have the will and the interest. As to areas, well, Nedlands would top it for me, but that's pricey and out of our range. We love NOR and western suburbs generally, as it's easy to get to city and beach. Grab it with both hands, join in with the locals, and enjoy!
Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:28 pm
PR and proud

ChuiRafiki is an unknown quantity at this point

So sorry: should have addressed the above message to perthbound!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

hannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the roughhannah1202 is a jewel in the rough

hi there we have recently moved to perth (me and my 10yr old) and so far we havnet seen anything to put us off. We have travelled on late night trains from the city after watching soccer matches and never seen any trouble. We did see a few 15/16yr olds in mcdonalds late at night but they werent any trouble. My lad goes to a fantastic primary school and i am hoping he will be able to go to Shenton College (state high school). Just to add you dont need to be loaded to live in the area for Churchlands and Shenton high schools as previously mentioned.....although sone of the houses here are out of this world! ...as I am a single parent on one wage and am renting in Churchlands so it is possible. good luck with your decision xxx
hello all, we have sold our house and hoping to make the move to Perth end of November 09. I have been following posts about Perth for a long time but recently it seems there has been some negative posts, particularly about schools and one about gangs hanging around shopping centres, macdonalds etc..

I have to say that when we visited last year we didn't see gangs hanging around, did we just not notice it?

I would love to read more positive posts because the negative ones plant the seeds of doubt, are we doing the right thing.

I have 3 boys 6, 9 & 12

We are heading NOR.

If this post could generate some more views on life NOR good or bad it would really help me.

Thank you in advance
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Move SOR and all you worries will be gone.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ChuiRafiki
Hi MerleOberon
Perth will be what you make it, not what others tell you about it. We don't fish, own a boat or a 4WD, but we don't feel out of place. Nor do we have school-age kids. Perth is no paradise; it has its issues like any city (and it is a city!), and Saturday nights in Northbridge can be a bit challenging (for example). But it has lots of great things going for it. Good galleries; Freo down the coast, Rottnest off to the west; great beaches; Swan Valley and all its wineries; decent restaurants (and some not so good, of course); lots of coffee shops; decent shops (even if they do close early: good for the staff, though?); easy access to hills and bush if all that water gets too much for you... Great people, too. Anyone can adapt to a different way of doing things, provided they have the will and the interest. As to areas, well, Nedlands would top it for me, but that's pricey and out of our range. We love NOR and western suburbs generally, as it's easy to get to city and beach. Grab it with both hands, join in with the locals, and enjoy!
Good luck!
if only it was what others told me then i might be happy here - everyone keeps telling me how great it is!! maybe i just dont have the will and the interest. after visiting vineyards in italy, america and in hunter valley, the swan valley wineries are like a poor relation - one or two are quite nice granted but even driving along - it just looks all a bit shabby. the first time we went i thought we hadnt reached it yet - it must be round the corner - but no we were driving through the heart of it. Fremantle is nice and i like it there but i tend to work weekends and during the week its dead.

as i have said previously - perth is lovely (and i'm sorry but i still see it as a big town that likes to be in bed for 8pm) but it just doesnt tick the boxes for me - but for many many others, it will be utopia.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:08 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by merleoberon
if only it was what others told me then i might be happy here - everyone keeps telling me how great it is!! maybe i just dont have the will and the interest. after visiting vineyards in italy, america and in hunter valley, the swan valley wineries are like a poor relation - one or two are quite nice granted but even driving along - it just looks all a bit shabby. the first time we went i thought we hadnt reached it yet - it must be round the corner - but no we were driving through the heart of it. Fremantle is nice and i like it there but i tend to work weekends and during the week its dead.

as i have said previously - perth is lovely (and i'm sorry but i still see it as a big town that likes to be in bed for 8pm) but it just doesnt tick the boxes for me - but for many many others, it will be utopia.
It all depends on your circumstances and preferred lifestyle choice. Personally, I enjoyed my time there many years ago but I definitely found it limiting in new experiences. It's isolated so it is was it is and it will never be a Sydney or Melbourne, and probably Perth locals will argue that they don't want it to be (but their secretly jealous ).
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:04 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth is awesome, all I can say, dont fall into the over analyse everything mode that the disllusioned expats do.
Ignore this sleepy suburb bit, not like that where I am, although you will find it in the Stepford wive suburbs of the North where nothing really happens, as its all new and pomified....to meet expectations.

To live here and call home for me is a pleasure, as it makes me appreicate Europe and the rest of the world more for travelling and holidays.

Guess what too, I get to go home to Perth and not some grey, overpopulated crime ridden dump call England where I am back in the rat race......with no release.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Guess what too, I get to go home to Perth and not some grey, overpopulated crime ridden dump call England where I am back in the rat race......with no release.
Well said.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by merleoberon

You tried venturing down to the Margaret River region?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.