Perth ???

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth ???

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I know you said. So no need to reply.
Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I know you said. So no need to reply.
Sweet.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:07 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sweet.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:14 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

You just want to get the last word in don't you.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:52 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mecheng
You just want to get the last word in don't you.
No.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Perth is awesome, all I can say, dont fall into the over analyse everything mode that the disllusioned expats do.
Ignore this sleepy suburb bit, not like that where I am, although you will find it in the Stepford wive suburbs of the North where nothing really happens, as its all new and pomified....to meet expectations.

To live here and call home for me is a pleasure, as it makes me appreicate Europe and the rest of the world more for travelling and holidays.

Guess what too, I get to go home to Perth and not some grey, overpopulated crime ridden dump call England where I am back in the rat race......with no release.
How anyone can think Perth is awesome is byond me; but each to their own. Perth is probably great for anyone who is just interested in spending time with a few friends and family, having barbies and going to the beach (even though the beaches are not very picturesque and are pretty dull).

If you are interested in leading a life that involves a bit more variety of activity and any sort of culture then Perth certainly isn't the place to be. It's dull, behind the times, insular. It's also very expensive. And there is no escape unless you travel for 5 hours. [I miss my cheap flights to interesting place round Europe or 30 minutes drives into wonderful countryside].

As for the debate about crime/violence. I lived for the last 20 years in a medium size city in the UK. I worried less about crime and violence there than I do in Perth. Unfortunately Perth is suffering from many of the problems that the UK suffered in the 80s/90s.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I like disagree Champ. I think Sydney is a dump but each to their own.
From what I've seen of Sydney, I have to agree. Give me Perth anyday
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:11 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
From what I've seen of Sydney, I have to agree. Give me Perth anyday
There are benefits to both and it depends on the lifestyle you choose to lead but anyone in Perth would secretly admit that you can experience the city in a single weekend.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:28 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Perth certainly polarises opinions. We've been here four year and I think it is a fantastic place. Like Amazulu, I hate Sydney but can see why people that love Sydney would hate Perth - choose your destination wisely - there are quite distinct characters to all the main cities. Perth is also a great place to raise a young family.

We live about 35km from the city in a fairly quiet suburb but I work in the city and find there is lots to do. The city does empty in the evenings though, apart from Friday after work. All of my hobbies are to do with being outdoors - I own a small old boat and go diving off it most weekends in the summer. We go camping, wakeboarding and off-roading etc loads too. If you want that sort of outdoors lifestlye you will love Perth. If you want pub crawls, museums, theatres, amusement parks etc then it probably won't be for you. They are here, but there are not that many, they are nothing special and they are generally located near the city centre. Perth has grown rapidly especially on the outer edges and so many of those places lack a little in character, it is true. If you like suburbia then you'll be fine.

We are very lucky that we have a large group of very good friends, although I reckon we worked hard at making contacts initially. Perth is a good place for that as there are lots of expats also looking to make friends and a few long-standing meets. I think having those friends means a lot - we rarely have a weekend where we are not meeting up with mates. Perth is also very multi-cultural with relatively little disharmony - most people I meet are from somewhere else, even if it is only rural WA.

Volunteering is something I strongly recommend. It is a big thing here and will help you get involved and meet people. I do accounts / websites etc for a couple of local associations. But we have friends that help the local State Emergency Services or Sea Rescue.

The one thing that annoys me about expats is those that expect Australia to change to suit them not the other way round. For example, I played badminton in the UK but it is not a big thing here so I dropped it. Instead I took up diving and running. I forced myself to get into Aussie Rules and these days love it but find soccer incredibly boring in comparison. Many people have a day that starts at sunrise and go to bed at 9pm because of the hot summers, especially tradies. So now I get up at 5.30am to go running before work rather than trying to do it at night. As the bumper stickers here say - FIFO - Fit In or F**k Off. That is good advice!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
FIFO - Fit In or F**k Off. That is good advice!
Damn right! A few posters on this forum ought to heed that advice.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

As the bumper stickers here say - FIFO - Fit In or F**k Off. That is good advice!
I can just imagine the uproar if people in the UK had this attitude, or those stickers on their car bumpers. Of course some people do have that attitude, but not I believe to the extent that exists in Oz.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Volunteering is something I strongly recommend. It is a big thing here and will help you get involved and meet people. I do accounts / websites etc for a couple of local associations. But we have friends that help the local State Emergency Services or Sea Rescue.

The one thing that annoys me about expats is those that expect Australia to change to suit them not the other way round. For example, I played badminton in the UK but it is not a big thing here so I dropped it. Instead I took up diving and running. I forced myself to get into Aussie Rules and these days love it but find soccer incredibly boring in comparison. Many people have a day that starts at sunrise and go to bed at 9pm because of the hot summers, especially tradies. So now I get up at 5.30am to go running before work rather than trying to do it at night. As the bumper stickers here say - FIFO - Fit In or F**k Off. That is good advice!
Sound advice.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Little Lisa 1971 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Perth ???

Hi everyone, we are in the process of choosing a region for State Sponsorship. Can anyone share any information/advice on the Peel region? We are looking at Mandurah, Meadow Springs and Lakelands, can anyone tell me which is the "best area", which has good High Schools and work for a roofer.
I know loads of questions but I'd be really grateful for any info you can share. Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:34 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mecheng
It's been a few years since I lived in Perth but I rarely, if ever, came across any gangs. Like every city, if you're sensible and don't go looking for trouble, you'll be fine. Kids have always hung around McDonalds since McDonalds probably first came to Australia. Unfortunately, you won't get 100% positive views about any location but ignore any of the negativity. Easier said than done but the positives must outweigh any of the negatives, otherwise you wouldn't be going. Good luck and don't worry.
Trust me if your kids are hung like McDonalds its the gangs that will be afraid

If you go looking for trouble you will find it, such is life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.