Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Originally Posted by elfman
No but you seem to be implying they’re familiar with the work of John Steinbeck
Not so much John Steinbeck as Fletch, or perhaps, Mel Brooks.

Who knew that people down under were so well versed in classic literature?
Is there a Shakespeare festival in Verona, New Jersey? What a hoot that'd be.

There was me thinking everyone spent all their free time sitting around in khaki shorts and grubby vests chucking thongs on the barbie while discussing the most recent AFL brawls.
Fairly accurate description for the most part, except the bit about 'free time'.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
It was over two years ago that we left the UK but it wasn't because of crime or violence or rah-rah-rah (although better weather was a huge pull to the antipodes!). My dh had just qualified as a mental health nurse and there were zero jobs in our county- massive NHS cuts then meant that the seconded students were given posts as nurse aids and the rest were told to look out of county. We'd already visited NZ and Oz and fancied spending some time there. We had a few thousand in savings and just a single newly qualified nurses salary, so we didn't have much to lose financially. We looked into NZ and there were jobs everywhere- dh just let me choose where I fancied and the health board subbed our airfares, put us up in a very nice motel for nearly four weeks and gave us a hire car.

I'm not a fan of the UK education system- this isn't about output, I'm sure there are plenty of studies and stats to show it's right up there globally, it's more a gut feeling that the testing and the ethos just isn't what we wanted for our kids. NZ schools offered something totally different.

Now we're in Australia, partly because I wanted to do teacher training and we lived very rural in NZ where it wasn't really practical and partly because a few months after we left Blighty my mum emigrated to Oz, so we sort of thought why not? Kiwis waved us off to "the third island" as is the Kiwi way, but I was given a local bone carving so I am apparently 'caught' to the area and will return ....

Sometimes I think, had I known the fallout of leaving our family and culture, I wouldn't have opened the box. But it's too late now- I find it hard to imagine how and where we could live in the UK and get everything we enjoy from life on this side of the world. But it is a Pandora's Box this emigrating lark.
Great post!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:09 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not so much John Steinbeck as Fletch, or perhaps, Mel Brooks
eh?? I meant the bit about the rabbits

Is there a Shakespeare festival in Verona, New Jersey? What a hoot that'd be
no but this is about 15 miles down the road.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

eh?? I meant the bit about the rabbits
Steinbeck? Nah - I was talking about Robin Williams (3:20 in).

no but this is about 15 miles down the road.
Delightful.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
We've been here in Oz for an eternity...the longing to return is only stronger. Yes, we've been back; loved it...ok, not the grimy horrible, decrepid inner city bits, but the countryside is bloody stunning, the people ARE warm, witty and friendly (mostly) and the weather isn't really that bad is it? So why exactly are so many Brits desperate to get out...what do you see that we don't? Is sunny weather and a lack of Gordon Brown worth the loss of all the other things. Anyone gone back and realised they made a mistake? Honestly interested to learn more...
Have returned to the uk (3 weeks) .We have more than doubled our salaries since in Oz. I believe that Aus is a good country .However, it is backward largely humourless, and has more rednecks than anywhere else I've been. The prospect of my kids being Aussies horrified me.
Aussies talk themselves up "best country in the world"- my arse.
In the uk we talk ourselves down.

If you are employable ,live in a nice place in the uk Australia will be an inferior place in most aspects of your life.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:58 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
Have returned to the uk (3 weeks) .We have more than doubled our salaries since in Oz. I believe that Aus is a good country .However, it is backward largely humourless, and has more rednecks than anywhere else I've been. The prospect of my kids being Aussies horrified me.

If you are employable ,live in a nice place in the uk Australia will be an inferior place in most aspects of your life.
Mmm....there is much truth in your words kevin747, i too worry about the kids growing up to be 'aussies' - that is the reason we are only staying 2 years, then returning to Scotland.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Wrong. We talk our country up (unlike the Poms), but we talk ourselves down (just like the Poms).

Australia is not the best country in the world (and I speak as an Australian). There is no such thing as the best country in the world.

Sure, plenty of Australians will say that Australia is the best country in the world, and they'll believe it too. Nothing wrong with that; it's called national pride, and they're entitled to it.

BTW, can't agree with Hutch re. the Gower; I think it's absolutely gorgeous. Spent some happy times there a few years ago.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:15 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

I agree Kev, we do talk ourselves down in the UK and do not realise what we had be it the NHS or just the pub on a saturday night till it is gone.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
I agree Kev, we do talk ourselves down in the UK and do not realise what we had be it the NHS or just the pub on a saturday night till it is gone.
Very true ,I myself was very guilty of that.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:22 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
Mm the NHS, local pubs - just havin a Homer moment
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:42 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
BTW, can't agree with Hutch re. the Gower; I think it's absolutely gorgeous. Spent some happy times there a few years ago.
I think the effluent spewed out by the heavy industry round the corner in Swansea warped your memory.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:03 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

I think the effluent spewed out by the heavy industry round the corner in Swansea warped your memory.
LOL, not at all.

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:18 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Sure, plenty of Australians will say that Australia is the best country in the world, and they'll believe it too. Nothing wrong with that; it's called ignorance, and they're entitled to it.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

So we've heard about the beautiful countryside of the UK, the pubs, the arts - Australia's natural beauty, rednecks and ease of living, but I have to admit that no one has mentioned the UK's gloomy cities of substandard life, the way gangs of youth hang around the streets, the general demeanor of anger and violence inherent in them, lack of classroom discipline, mad laws, expensive living, an obsession with 'elf and safety' ...etc, etc. Because much as I love the UK, it's these things that put me off returning and would really love to here from those recently left the UK or still there to find out how these things affected your decision to leave.

I'm not hearing this at all so I can only presume you all lived in idyllic villages untouched by all the things I mentioned above. When I went back in November, I found people I knew were either on benefits (and perfectly healthy people too!) or they were scared, angry and financially exhausted from living in the UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:03 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Not only does it happen everywhere, but it's been going on far a looong time. When I was a kid, back in the 1970s, growing up north of London, the drug of choice amongst teens was glue. They'd buy some industrial glue and 'huff' it from plastic bags. Down the common, at the bus stop, outside the Chinese, on the train - always some zit-faced (result of the glue sniffing) kid with his face in a Bejam bag. Then heroin started coming down in price and soon anyone could afford it.
My 11 year old son went down the local bicycle shop the other day to buy a puncture outfit. He then telephoned me to say that the people at the shop wouldn't sell it to him. So I told him to pass me over to the cashier. Upon speaking to the cashier (who incidently sounded like he was more likely to sniff glue than my son), it turns out that it's illegal to sell puncture repair kits to under 16s "....it's the glue, you know!". A bit of dilemma really, its like "hello! ...This is my son, he doesn't do glue!". "All he want's to do is fix the bloody puncture on his bike, not get spaced out on the kit!". I suppose I couldn't argue really and in a way I'm glad that the law exists because not all kids are as sensible and steady as mine. But its still a bit irritating, and an uncomfortable reminder that glue sniffing still exists. So I had to go and get the kit for him and then suffer a grilling from my son (who wasn't previously aware of the practice) about why people sniff glue and why he shouldn't. .....But now I need a repair kit to patch up the hole in his sense of innocence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.