British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/perhaps-insane-question-but-why-exactly-you-leaving-600865/)

ezzie Mar 30th 2009 10:19 pm

Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

We've been here in Oz for an eternity...the longing to return is only stronger. Yes, we've been back; loved it...ok, not the grimy horrible, decrepid inner city bits, but the countryside is bloody stunning, the people ARE warm, witty and friendly (mostly) and the weather isn't really that bad is it? So why exactly are so many Brits desperate to get out...what do you see that we don't? Is sunny weather and a lack of Gordon Brown worth the loss of all the other things. Anyone gone back and realised they made a mistake? Honestly interested to learn more...

mohogony Mar 30th 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 7436601)
We've been here in Oz for an eternity...the longing to return is only stronger. Yes, we've been back; loved it...ok, not the grimy horrible, decrepid inner city bits, but the countryside is bloody stunning, the people ARE warm, witty and friendly (mostly) and the weather isn't really that bad is it? So why exactly are so many Brits desperate to get out...what do you see that we don't? Is sunny weather and a lack of Gordon Brown worth the loss of all the other things. Anyone gone back and realised they made a mistake? Honestly interested to learn more...

OZ also has stunning countryside those that say it does'nt have'nt seen much of the country.

london52 Mar 30th 2009 10:24 pm

Places like Oz Canada USA etc are a dream when you look at the pictures of beaches the weather etc, it is only when you live and work in a different country that you realise the grass is not always greener, it fact it can be browner.

asprilla Mar 30th 2009 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 7436601)

Many people perceive Britain to be dirty, cold, grey, miserable, with youths that are aggressive and drink heavily, and little in the way of culture and good food.

Then there are those who have issues with the number of immigrants moving to the UK and how they are apparently "taking all the jobs/using up all the health services/taking benefits".

Personally I don't agree with either of the above. But then again I didn't leave the UK to escape or for a new life - I left for family reasons.

ezzie, perhaps if you look back to the time when you left the UK and try to re-live the emotions that you were going through, and the thoughts that were going through your head, this might also help with your answer?

cheers

Notts_bloke Mar 30th 2009 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by mohogony (Post 7436606)
OZ also has stunning countryside those that say it does'nt have'nt seen much of the country.

Can't see anywhere in the original post that says Aus hasn't got stunning countryside?

Why get on the defensive?

bourbon-biscuit Mar 30th 2009 10:43 pm

It was over two years ago that we left the UK but it wasn't because of crime or violence or rah-rah-rah (although better weather was a huge pull to the antipodes!). My dh had just qualified as a mental health nurse and there were zero jobs in our county- massive NHS cuts then meant that the seconded students were given posts as nurse aids and the rest were told to look out of county. We'd already visited NZ and Oz and fancied spending some time there. We had a few thousand in savings and just a single newly qualified nurses salary, so we didn't have much to lose financially. We looked into NZ and there were jobs everywhere- dh just let me choose where I fancied and the health board subbed our airfares, put us up in a very nice motel for nearly four weeks and gave us a hire car.

I'm not a fan of the UK education system- this isn't about output, I'm sure there are plenty of studies and stats to show it's right up there globally, it's more a gut feeling that the testing and the ethos just isn't what we wanted for our kids. NZ schools offered something totally different.

Now we're in Australia, partly because I wanted to do teacher training and we lived very rural in NZ where it wasn't really practical and partly because a few months after we left Blighty my mum emigrated to Oz, so we sort of thought why not? Kiwis waved us off to "the third island" as is the Kiwi way, but I was given a local bone carving so I am apparently 'caught' to the area and will return ....

Sometimes I think, had I known the fallout of leaving our family and culture, I wouldn't have opened the box. But it's too late now- I find it hard to imagine how and where we could live in the UK and get everything we enjoy from life on this side of the world. But it is a Pandora's Box this emigrating lark.

asprilla Mar 30th 2009 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke (Post 7436651)
Can't see anywhere in the original post that says Aus hasn't got stunning countryside?

Why get on the defensive?

You must have forgotten to put your "Australia is better than everywhere else" glasses on.

Put them on, then re-read the original post.

BudBrain Mar 30th 2009 10:46 pm

I like the idea of bringing up my kids in Australia, I hope the warmer weather will bring new opportunities to them. I also like the idea of the adventure and doing something a bit crazy - even if it doesn't work out.

ezzie Mar 30th 2009 10:58 pm

Didn't really decide to leave as such...just went backpacking and didn't return!

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 7436638)
Many people perceive Britain to be dirty, cold, grey, miserable, with youths that are aggressive and drink heavily, and little in the way of culture and good food.

Then there are those who have issues with the number of immigrants moving to the UK and how they are apparently "taking all the jobs/using up all the health services/taking benefits".

Personally I don't agree with either of the above. But then again I didn't leave the UK to escape or for a new life - I left for family reasons.

ezzie, perhaps if you look back to the time when you left the UK and try to re-live the emotions that you were going through, and the thoughts that were going through your head, this might also help with your answer?

cheers

asprilla Mar 30th 2009 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 7436694)
Didn't really decide to leave as such...just went backpacking and didn't return!

:) cool !!

Notts_bloke Mar 30th 2009 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 7436667)
You must have forgotten to put your "Australia is better than everywhere else" glasses on.

Put them on, then re-read the original post.

;)

ExKiwilass Mar 30th 2009 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by mohogony (Post 7436606)

Does 14 hours looking out a train window count? The landscape never changed the whole time. And it was not stunning.

Notts_bloke Mar 30th 2009 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7436756)
Does 14 hours looking out a train window count? The landscape never changed the whole time. And it was not stunning.

You would say that being a Kiwi! IMO NZ has some truely mind blowing scenery.

ezzie Mar 30th 2009 11:42 pm

I think Kiwigirl might be referring to Oz scenery....mostly bland with some stunning bits. NZ is thoroughly stunning I'd say...especially the south island. British scenery is mostly stunning with some 'orrible bits.

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke (Post 7436771)
You would say that being a Kiwi! IMO NZ has some truely mind blowing scenery.

Hutch Mar 30th 2009 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7436756)

If the train journey in question was through the desert - what were you expecting? Volcanos?

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 7436816)
I think Kiwigirl might be referring to Oz scenery....mostly bland with some stunning bits. NZ is thoroughly stunning I'd say...especially the south island. British scenery is mostly stunning with some 'orrible bits.

British scenery is mostly stunning. :rofl: Stunningly dull. Stunningly built-up. Stunningly covered in Beazer and Wimpy homes. Stunningly suffocated by millions of motorcars and trucks.

Small parts of the UK are stunning (north Cornish coast for instance), small parts are pretty (the Cotswolds), but the vast majority of it - what little bit of it that hasn't been concreted over - is duller than a butter knife.