Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:46 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Originally Posted by ezzie
I digress....apart from the bloody weather and Gordon sodding Brown, why is everyone leaving, or are they reason enough? Crime, horrid kids, infestations of rabid badgers......????

Someone must have a moment of revelation to discuss...
I think the answers, for the most part, are fairly boring. There are people who leave because they have a foreign national partner and they're moving to their country. There are people who leave - usually temporarily - for work (the real 'expats'). But I think for most people they just want to try something different. If you have the means and the opportunity the next thought is 'why not?'.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:55 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
I digress....apart from the bloody weather and Gordon sodding Brown, why is everyone leaving, or are they reason enough? Crime, horrid kids, infestations of rabid badgers......????
Nope, its because people are fed up with long dreary commutes, grey skies and mundane day-to-day life. They want a bit of excitement in their lives, they want less time spent at work, more time spent playing and relaxing, and all under a blue sky 5mins walk from the beach. With a good school close by, of course.

And lets not forget - they don't want any of that for themselves...they want it for their kids first and foremost !

But then 12months later, many of them move back home because Britain wasn't so grey after all. It had trees, hedgerows, country pubs, opera, robins, tits (feathered and non-feathered varieties), robins and warm brown beer, tescos, m&s, ready meals, monster munch, good tv and sunny spain just around the corner.

Aww.. I want to move back now!

Last edited by asprilla; Mar 31st 2009 at 11:56 am. Reason: just spotted I've got "robins" in their twice. hmm.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Britain wasn't so grey after all. It had trees, hedgerows, country pubs, opera, robins, tits (feathered and non-feathered varieties), robins and warm brown beer, tescos, m&s, ready meals, monster munch, good tv and sunny spain just around the corner. !
Only positive point on that list for me - is the TV and I can download that.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:02 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Only positive point on that list for me - is the TV and I can download that.
If anyone hasn't seen it yet.... I can thoroughly recommend "gavin & stacey". Very funny and very british. Just finished season 1.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it takes an hour and 3/4 to commute to the city - little or no public transport of course. We see the beach about twice a year and all the latest stats prove that Aussies work longer hours than everyone but the Japanese. And I've just been bit by another ruddy mozzie!

Is no one moving because of crime, stabbings, general mouthy kids etc, etc. Can this be the first thread without the words "gone to the dogs" thrown in?

Originally Posted by asprilla
Nope, its because people are fed up with long dreary commutes, grey skies and mundane day-to-day life. They want a bit of excitement in their lives, they want less time spent at work, more time spent playing and relaxing, and all under a blue sky 5mins walk from the beach. With a good school close by, of course.

And lets not forget - they don't want any of that for themselves...they want it for their kids first and foremost !

But then 12months later, many of them move back home because Britain wasn't so grey after all. It had trees, hedgerows, country pubs, opera, robins, tits (feathered and non-feathered varieties), robins and warm brown beer, tescos, m&s, ready meals, monster munch, good tv and sunny spain just around the corner.

Aww.. I want to move back now!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:23 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I never liked being cold.
I didnt like the drugs, well I did but not for my kids
I didnt like kids hanging out on the roads as their primary activity.
I hated walking my dog in the cold and getting dry skin and chapped lips.
I walk on the beach daily here and in the UK - I just enjoy it more in nicer weather.
I found the place I lived in Wales incredibly boring - the same conversations, the same places, the same faces, the same buildings, dafydd the only gay in the village does karaoke on a sunday, MIL talks about eastenders on monday and finishes reading the mirror, everyone at work with hangovers, roll on Tuesday, quiz night, roll on Wednesday work again, o its raining, what a surprise never mind its nearly Friday, Misery on Thursday, everyone is so grumpy walking around with no ambition -never mind good night planned on saturday - might do an all dayer, Friday - lunch at the pub, walk after work, everyone at mine for a meal, too much port. Boring boring boring.

plus sides is monthly trips to Europe, and Cardiff shopping. I love Cardiff. And the internationals.

And I know people wont believe me - but Eastenders and Coronation street bored the s**t out of me too. I do miss british tv though
Vivienne
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant...so how long have you been in Oz and is it really better in every way? (so far)

Originally Posted by viviennef
I never liked being cold.
I didnt like the drugs, well I did but not for my kids
I didnt like kids hanging out on the roads as their primary activity.
I hated walking my dog in the cold and getting dry skin and chapped lips.
I walk on the beach daily here and in the UK - I just enjoy it more in nicer weather.
I found the place I lived in Wales incredibly boring - the same conversations, the same places, the same faces, the same buildings, dafydd the only gay in the village does karaoke on a sunday, MIL talks about eastenders on monday and finishes reading the mirror, everyone at work with hangovers, roll on Tuesday, quiz night, roll on Wednesday work again, o its raining, what a surprise never mind its nearly Friday, Misery on Thursday, everyone is so grumpy walking around with no ambition -never mind good night planned on saturday - might do an all dayer, Friday - lunch at the pub, walk after work, everyone at mine for a meal, too much port. Boring boring boring.

plus sides is monthly trips to Europe, and Cardiff shopping. I love Cardiff. And the internationals.

And I know people wont believe me - but Eastenders and Coronation street bored the s**t out of me too. I do miss british tv though
Vivienne
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:37 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been here since 2002 - been home 3 times for a holiday.

Its not better in every way but if I scored each and every thing I like and dislike and added them together, it would win by a large margin.

Most long term expats will tell you that those first couple of years are a bit strange - there are all sorts of stresses and some grieving for your homeland and family and friends. I was so pleased to arrive but did go through a patch where I had had enough. It is quite emotionally exhausting learning a new country. I am out the other end though and doubt I will ever go home to live. I also dont think I will ever be an Australian (although I am a citizen and my 3 children were born here).

I may go somewhere else to live someday though. I really would like to do some aid work in a developing country - teaching or similar and I think that would be a good experience for the kids. I would also like to live in France.

Vivienne
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think if I 'added' it all up, Oz would win by a mile...it's that pull of the heart though....God, I miss the mad banter!

Originally Posted by viviennef
I have been here since 2002 - been home 3 times for a holiday.

Its not better in every way but if I scored each and every thing I like and dislike and added them together, it would win by a large margin.

Most long term expats will tell you that those first couple of years are a bit strange - there are all sorts of stresses and some grieving for your homeland and family and friends. I was so pleased to arrive but did go through a patch where I had had enough. It is quite emotionally exhausting learning a new country. I am out the other end though and doubt I will ever go home to live. I also dont think I will ever be an Australian (although I am a citizen and my 3 children were born here).

I may go somewhere else to live someday though. I really would like to do some aid work in a developing country - teaching or similar and I think that would be a good experience for the kids. I would also like to live in France.

Vivienne
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:33 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

The last two summers here in the UK have been an absolute nightmare, we all blamed Rihanna for her bl**dy 'Umbrella-ella-ella-ella' song in the Summer of 2007, it was blatantly her fault!!!! lol It was a total fluke, a one off, then last Summer it pi55ed it down all over again! The weather is a big draw for me, I'm sick of walking out of my door on a Spring/Summer's morning with the sun splitting the trees, for it to all of a sudden lash it down on me! You've to prepare for every eventuality weather wise over here, and just for once I don't wanna bring my gortex with me JUST IN CASE LOL :curse:

That and I fell in love with Oz in 2003 when I first visited, I know it won't be like one big holiday, I'm prepared for it to be just as cr*p going to work over there as it is over here! I'll just be glad to have more daylight hours to actually do stuff which doesn't involve sitting in front of a TV playing a wii or some sort of other gadget, as over here in the UK it's all materialistic, our entertainment, the opportunities to go for a BBQ or a picnic somewhere are pretty much nil in case it decides to go from sunny to torrential rain! In the last few days, since the clocks changed over here, I have felt a totally new lease of life, weird but true, but it's lovely that it's not pitch black til well after 8!

However, one thing I ammmmm dreading about Oz are the creepy crawlies, seeing each weird little creature for the first time will probably have me running round the house screaming and using a can of fly spray as a flame thrower!!!!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:25 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BudBrain
I like the idea of bringing up my kids in Australia, I hope the warmer weather will bring new opportunities to them. I also like the idea of the adventure and doing something a bit crazy - even if it doesn't work out.
Blimey...like a parachute that dont open...
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:36 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:00 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
Lovely video, tho prob made more moving by the music, expected at the end for it to zoom in on a chav tho for some reason LOL This country would be a helluva lot more bearable if we'd proper seasons we could rely on and of course less rowdy yoofs n chavs lol INIT LOL
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sparky Making will become famous soon enoughSparky Making will become famous soon enough

I often ask myself this question. I am happy in England and am not leaving it for one particular reason. However the last couple of years the cold has really got to me, maybe just getting old! Also fed up with the crap summers. Have two boys and our weekends are taken up frozen on the rugby or football sidelines every Sat and Sun, I love all sport but this does take some of the enjoyment out of it. I know I will probably moan about being too hot over there and them not being able to play in the heat.

We travelled around Australia two years ago and as a previous post mentioned almost wish we hadn't opened Pandora's box but we have and our life has almost been put on hold, shall we buy a new car/go on holiday or give it a go. I know I am going to miss people badly and it is not going to be like a long holiday but we have applied for our VISA and hopefully are going to have the chance to give it a good go.

Anyway I am going to search for a more positive thread but good question!
Jo
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Australia, the UK and NZ and I love all three places. I find it really hard to name one over the other as the best place to live as I'd be equally happy in any of them.

But with regard to the UK, it has so many fantastic things and ultimately the people make it a good place to live too, but in Australia I find everything is just so easy and relaxed.

For example, last weekend we went to the Grand Prix. Left home and drive to Albert Park with no traffic jams and parked 100m from an entry gate for $10. Had a full days entertainment in lovely weather with a relaxed family atmosphere and with good food. We then enjoyed The Who concert and returned home, again with no traffic jams.

Contrast this to a day out at Silverstone, the tickets are more expensive, it requires you join endless queues of cars to park in a muddy field, walk miles to a gate and then walk miles again to find somewhere decent to sit. If you are lucky it doesn't rain. Then there is scant entertainment and the food options are pretty dire. Then you repeat the whole miserable process to get out and go home.

Similarly with a Madness concert last night - just parked opposite the venue, had a snack at one of the many bars/restaurants open in the area and had a cheap, fuss-free night.

Now they might sound petty, but by the time you multiply this across many aspects of life it just seems that life is far easier in Australia and less stressful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.