Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Wikiposts

Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think that Australia is inclined to be quite homogenous in areas, with lots of differences between areas. It's almost a lifestyle choice. (Obviously there are subtle mixes again).

The UK has all these areas mixed in quite a bit, and the economic landscape varies from mile to mile, from place to place. An idyllic village, a depressed once idyllic village, a market town, a conglomeration of cities with depressed towns/suburbs in between etc..
Yep, that's an excellent summary.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps an insane question...but why exactly are you leaving?

Originally Posted by bcworld
This is very similar:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ap...0225-8hm7.html

The video shows people walking by as the man is being assualted.

I think it's very easy for people to say they would intervene, but if confronted by the situation the reality might be different.
The Internet warriors always say they won't stand by, but there have been several very serious assaults and stabbings on good samaritans in Melbourne in the last few months.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezzie
So we've heard about the beautiful countryside of the UK, the pubs, the arts - Australia's natural beauty, rednecks and ease of living, but I have to admit that no one has mentioned the UK's gloomy cities of substandard life, the way gangs of youth hang around the streets, the general demeanor of anger and violence inherent in them, lack of classroom discipline, mad laws, expensive living, an obsession with 'elf and safety' ...etc, etc. Because much as I love the UK, it's these things that put me off returning and would really love to here from those recently left the UK or still there to find out how these things affected your decision to leave.

I'm not hearing this at all so I can only presume you all lived in idyllic villages untouched by all the things I mentioned above. When I went back in November, I found people I knew were either on benefits (and perfectly healthy people too!) or they were scared, angry and financially exhausted from living in the UK.
Hi Ezzie, we left 9 months ago and have no regrets so far. I loved Scotland and I still do, we had a great life but partly mid life crisis drove us to Oz. So far, I just find the way of life so much easier. Simple things like taking the dog for a walk is just so much more pleasant, i.e. dont have to give her a bath to remove the mud etc. At the weekend we seem to do a lot more stuff together as a family. It is so pleasant to go places that your kids are welcome, back home it was difficult to even find a child friendly restaurant. No-where is perfect, there is crime here as well as the UK. The kids have settled in school and the youngest really has embraced the ozzie way of life, I cant think of a better country to bring up a young family. We are from Glasgow and yes bad things happen there but we lived the usual surburban life where it was not seen to be on our doorstep really the same as here. I have found that the teenagers here in Oz seem more polite than at home I think they benefit from mixing with adults a lot.
Michelle
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:14 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Mmm....there is much truth in your words kevin747, i too worry about the kids growing up to be 'aussies' - that is the reason we are only staying 2 years, then returning to Scotland.
well, I reckon your kids will grow up to be individuals, like most kids around the world - and where they grew up won't be important.

that's my deep thought for the evening. This is jack killian, saying goodnight brisbane.......wherever you are.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:41 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kathryn V
This is a big problem in Oz I would say!
It has increased since I arrived funnily enough
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:45 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Crow
Think this can be hit and miss. I've been so impressed - we have a bulk-billing doctor and I can almost always get an appointment that day. There is a bulk-billing x-ray centre next door to the surgery and having had a few broken or possible broken bones this year, it's convenient (rather than having to drive half-way across Bristol).

Late last year, after a spate of ill health, I had a CT scan, ultrasound, various blood tests - some at private hospitals/clinics. All were booked in for the same week, results back the next and I didn't pay a penny of wait for longer than 5 mins past any appointment. Also parked free and easily at each

So far, very good
we have been impressed by the health service here so far but we have only touched upon it. Pretty spoiled with the nhs in the uk, it is quite unique.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
well, I reckon your kids will grow up to be individuals, like most kids around the world - and where they grew up won't be important.

that's my deep thought for the evening. This is jack killian, saying goodnight brisbane.......wherever you are.
Where you grow up is very important!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:51 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I totally disagree with you! It is very important to me that my family never forget where they are from and who they are.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 3:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I totally disagree with you! It is very important to me that my family never forget where they are from and who they are.

Serious question - Why is this important to you?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:00 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Serious question - Why is this important to you?
It's a heritage thing - hard to explain if you r not a celt!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you're absolutely right here. It is a much 'easier' way to live here, which is why the decision to migrate back to Blighty is so, so hard for us. We do appreciate all the good things about Oz...being able to walk into a docs (although most are useless), no parking fees to go shopping (although I got caught for $4 yesterday as was just over the 3 hours....grrr!) the weather is mild, it's an idyllic place to bring kids up and the emphasis is on family entertaining. Yes, the teens are more polite, but they never seem to have much to say; there's a weird lack of fighting spirit or attitude....although we do see this more in migrant kids. Most of my kids' friends are from the US, NZ, UK, India, HK, Brazil & Sri Lanka or if they're Aussies, then they're very 'atypical' Aussies. The downside of it all is, we've found after over 23 years here, is the blandness of this existance...it's easy, but humour and social interactions are pretty damn superficial compared to the UK....although I'm sure there'll be plenty posting here who have possibly experiencing this in the UK. Yes, we loved it at first in Sydney, it was like being on holiday for the first 6 years, but now I want to go home and take the rough with the smooth and actually 'live' rather than exist in an admittedly VERY comfortable lifestyle.

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
Hi Ezzie, we left 9 months ago and have no regrets so far. I loved Scotland and I still do, we had a great life but partly mid life crisis drove us to Oz. So far, I just find the way of life so much easier. Simple things like taking the dog for a walk is just so much more pleasant, i.e. dont have to give her a bath to remove the mud etc. At the weekend we seem to do a lot more stuff together as a family. It is so pleasant to go places that your kids are welcome, back home it was difficult to even find a child friendly restaurant. No-where is perfect, there is crime here as well as the UK. The kids have settled in school and the youngest really has embraced the ozzie way of life, I cant think of a better country to bring up a young family. We are from Glasgow and yes bad things happen there but we lived the usual surburban life where it was not seen to be on our doorstep really the same as here. I have found that the teenagers here in Oz seem more polite than at home I think they benefit from mixing with adults a lot.
Michelle
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:41 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezzie
The downside of it all is, we've found after over 23 years here, is the blandness of this existance...it's easy, but humour and social interactions are pretty damn superficial compared to the UK...

We have lived/worked in various countries over the past 20 years and personally feel that nowhere has the same humour/banter/work ethics (including work hard and play hard!) as the UK - and Scotland in particular (albeit having only worked in Scotland and England). My OH who is not from the UK (so perhaps a better, more independent judge than I am) feels this quite strongly.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:00 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
We have lived/worked in various countries over the past 20 years and personally feel that nowhere has the same humour/banter/work ethics (including work hard and play hard!) as the UK - and Scotland in particular (albeit having only worked in Scotland and England). My OH who is not from the UK (so perhaps a better, more independent judge than I am) feels this quite strongly.
Maybe he's humouring you.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:02 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

well, I reckon your kids will grow up to be individuals, like most kids around the world ....
Most kids grow up as part of some sort of tribe (be it nation, football, fashion, etc...)
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:54 am
Account Open

It's a heritage thing - hard to explain if you r not a celt!
I am a celt! from a wee village just outside edinburgh.

I was actually having a look at it on streetview just the other day. When I was a kid, everything seemed so much further away, so much bigger...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.