Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Official Loners Thread

The Official Loners Thread

Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Official Loners Thread

Originally Posted by docgp
It is an english test!

UK citizen do not qualify for speaking english automatically now, they have to prove it.

so for £100 quid you get a nice certificate to say you can read/write/listen/speak english.

it can get you 25 points on a points based visa

im five short at the moment so by doing it i will get my minimum 120 for a 175 skilled independant visa

doc
UK citizens automatically get 15 points for language. You can get an extra 10 points by getting a 7 or above in each section in the IELTS exam. So not everyone has to do it.

Originally Posted by Alan-
Hi all,

Just a thought, and I'm not going to read all 1139 posts, have any of the "official Loners" actual got a visa in hand and ready to validate ??

Hope I don't end up being the only official reporting back from OZ

Alan
Nope, haven't even submitted mine yet!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Originally Posted by xzibit
UK citizens automatically get 15 points for language. You can get an extra 10 points by getting a 7 or above in each section in the IELTS exam. So not everyone has to do it.

is this true??

i thought everyone had to sit the IELTS!

can you provide a link to where this is???

doc
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xzibit

Nope, haven't even submitted mine yet!
well I have a job offer coming through on email, and if all is fine, they wil initiate visa applications. Wow, I am still trying to get my little brain around things... SO hopefully you wont be the only one!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Um, hang on a bit and I'll try.

On the immi website, in the points table for my it says

The IELTS is a test designed to assess an applicant's English language ability. It has an academic test and a general training test – you need only take the general training test unless otherwise advised by your skills assessing authority.

Level of English Required IELTS test results
Proficient A band score of at least seven (7) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing of the IELTS Test or evidence of having taken and achieved a score of `B´ or higher on each of the four (4) components of the OET Test.
Competent A band score of at least six (6) on each of the four (4) components of the IELTS test.
Vocational A band score of at least five (5) on each of the four (4) components of the IELTS test.
Functional An average band score of at least 4.5 based on all four (4) components of the IELTS test.

IELTS examinations are available worldwide and further information is available on their website.
See: International English Language Testing System

Your test results must be from a test you sat no more than two (2) years before the day of making your application.
Exemptions: Applicants who hold a passport from one of the countries listed below will not be required to sit the IELTS test to demonstrate that they meet the English language threshold:

United Kingdom (UK)
Canada
New Zealand
United States of America (USA)
Republic of Ireland.

Points awarded
You will be awarded points based on your English language ability at the time you lodge your application.

Level of English Points
Proficient 25
Competent 15
Basically anyone from an English speaking country is classed as Competent and gets 15 points. Some people like me fall 10 points short and need to take the IELTS to get 25 points to reach the points level.

Last edited by xzibit; Mar 12th 2008 at 5:28 am.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:26 am
starting again.....

FIZZYMOON will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pacey
Yeah NZ is much easier than Aus!

Fizz you don't want to move to NZ do you? Or do you? I don't think house prices are that low in NZ either, but to be fair yes they are less that the Aus cities. I can't imagine buying anything til i meet someone to settle down with, and that's no different here or in Aus so makes no bones..

in other news, I have got my ex interested in coming over with me on a working hol visa and sharing a place. But i've no idea how that will work out or even if it's a good idea.
I was originally going to NZ, I just got side tracked with Oz and as Its more 'alive' than NZ I tought I would give it a go, however Im desperate to settle down in one place and live. As for house prices, well I have a few friends over there and Its more realistic me buying there than in OZ.
As ive only just come out of a long term relationship I dont want to rely on having to find someone to settle down with before buying. Im taking quite abit of equity but that doesnt seem to count for nought! and having read another thread on monthly living costs i would be struggling on the low wages i would be getting over there (under $50k)

Not sure how it will work with your ex?!!? sound like could be fun - or trouble?!!? :curse:
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Fizz youve got to go to oz!

We were going to hook up and have babies and a house with a hot tub, big pool and huge garden!

What shall i do now?

seriuosly, i hope everything works out for whatever country you choose,

i wont forget you and there is always a place for you here on TOLT.

Doc

Originally Posted by FIZZYMOON
I was originally going to NZ, I just got side tracked with Oz and as Its more 'alive' than NZ I tought I would give it a go, however Im desperate to settle down in one place and live. As for house prices, well I have a few friends over there and Its more realistic me buying there than in OZ.
As ive only just come out of a long term relationship I dont want to rely on having to find someone to settle down with before buying. Im taking quite abit of equity but that doesnt seem to count for nought! and having read another thread on monthly living costs i would be struggling on the low wages i would be getting over there (under $50k)

Not sure how it will work with your ex?!!? sound like could be fun - or trouble?!!? :curse:
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:51 am
starting again.....

FIZZYMOON will become famous soon enough

Fizz youve got to go to oz!

We were going to hook up and have babies and a house with a hot tub, big pool and huge garden!

What shall i do now?

seriuosly, i hope everything works out for whatever country you choose,

i wont forget you and there is always a place for you here on TOLT.

Doc
HA HA HA!!! You always did know how to make me laugh!!!
As for the babies - eurgh!!!!

Thank you for you kind words - and dont worry your secret is safe with me!!!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:59 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Sorry this my sound a bit thick....

but I assume this Ielts thing is some sort of english test ??

Why are you having to take it, if your all from the UK, or did I miss a stage out when I got my visa

Alan.
came in when they changed the visas in sept. us lucky ones who got apps in before then don't have to do it (we already get the full points for being from an english speaking country)
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:03 am
Beach Bum

paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Just a thought, and I'm not going to read all 1139 posts, have any of the "official Loners" actual got a visa in hand and ready to validate ??

Hope I don't end up being the only official reporting back from OZ

Alan
not got my visa yet hopefully only a matter of weeks though just waiting for my PCC's to come back and get sent off. only think there's a couple of us either with visa's or near the end of the process
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paul30
came in when they changed the visas in sept. us lucky ones who got apps in before then don't have to do it (we already get the full points for being from an english speaking country)
looks like i need to do it then

another £100 to find

Oz better be worth it after all this

doc
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:11 am
Beach Bum

another £100 to find

doc
I had a mad rush to get my app in in August just so I didn't have to sit the thing I hate exams/tests
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paul30
not got my visa yet hopefully only a matter of weeks though just waiting for my PCC's to come back and get sent off. only think there's a couple of us either with visa's or near the end of the process
My PCC came back today and we had our meds yesterday When you've finished with your CO, Paul, can I have them
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:17 am
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by Aquamarine
My PCC came back today and we had our meds yesterday When you've finished with your CO, Paul, can I have them
I'll point her straight in your direction (don't tell the other Augustees)
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

another £100 to find

doc
It's not all that difficult. (I say, but I don't know yet.)

It's more the hassle of wasting half a day and the £100!!! And something else to sit about waiting for.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:04 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FIZZYMOON
Thank you for you kind words - and dont worry your secret is safe with me!!!
Is this the same secret you wont tell me? Are you really a woman? Didnt we do that one before.....er..........are you Prince William? Is it really a secret if Fizz knows it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.