Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:08 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

I just want to point out that I have a great life here in the UK, we have good well paid jobs and the UK is one of the best countries in the world to live in. My posts in this thread were pointing out that average wages in both the UK and Australia haven't gone up equally, it doesn't mean I hate the UK because I dared to point this out, this is a thread about things that are cheaper in Oz compared to the UK and I think it is a relevant point, to mention how average pay rises have gone up more in Australia, in comparison to the UK, over the years, to me the wage gap is widening, maybe others don't agree, I have no problem with that. Both countries are great and if you have the choice of living in either country, I think you are very lucky indeed.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:12 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
All well and good with these mysterious pay increases in Australia when the cost of living is rising as it is. Some posters have no clue sat on their computers only having ever been on holiday and thinking they know it all. Pathetic.

Inflation in Australia is running at similar rates as to the UK, pay rises on average are going up in Australia more than the UK, please feel free to prove otherwise.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:12 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

@ Pit Bull.

Wait until you live here. Then you will see how things are.

My electricity bill has doubled in 5 years. Somehow that figure doesn't tie in with published inflation figures.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
@ Pit Bull.

Wait until you live here. Then you will see how things are.

My electricity bill has doubled in 5 years. Somehow that figure doesn't tie in with published inflation figures.

It's got up crazily here in the UK as well, I think it's world wide, I saw a thread about it on here, I think the figures were similar.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Van73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lumpommer
I can't think of a thing.

I cant speak for Oz, but on behalf of SA, car insurance and petrol
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:57 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Van73
I cant speak for Oz, but on behalf of SA, car insurance and petrol
For us petrol yes, insurance no.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:10 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
You seem to be the only person who cares.
No he isn't, it pisses me off beyond belief. I love Australia and it's my home but I am not under some deluded belief that it is all picket fences and roses around the door. My husband earns a good wage so we don't struggle but I can see how other trades would. My food bill per week has gone from about $180 per week to the $292 I spent today. My electricity has gone from 9c per unit to 21c per unit. They are just 2 items on my monthly budget. This person has been on a holiday and has absolutely no idea of the day to day living costs on a family. Grrrrrr
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:12 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
No he isn't, it pisses me off beyond belief. I love Australia and it's my home but I am not under some deluded belief that it is all picket fences and roses around the door. My husband earns a good wage so we don't struggle but I can see how other trades would. My food bill per week has gone from about $180 per week to the $292 I spent today. My electricity has gone from 9c per unit to 21c per unit. They are just 2 items on my monthly budget. This person has been on a holiday and has absolutely no idea of the day to day living costs on a family. Grrrrrr
Have a wee cup of tea n chill,nurses orders
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Which guys? I never quoted anyone, I quoted average wages and said some earn more some earn less, just like the UK.
Of course you didn't:

Now I have just googled this - NSW police get pay rise above wage cap post 369

Everyone knows that teachers, the police, prison officers, firemen, nurses etc
post 367

does anyone have any figures on who got what pay rise in Australia in say 2009, 2010 and 2011 in Australia, say in the police, nurses, Correctionals officers, teachers, firemen post 364

It's better than a 0% pay rise on starting pay for a UK fireman post 358

Well unless what I read about the teachers, nurses, police, Correctionals officers in Australia getting good pay rises is wrong, then my post is correct, post 350

I have read many times that teachers, nurses, police, Correctionals officers, etc etc are getting good pay rises in Australia post 346
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cresta57
Of course you didn't:

Now I have just googled this - NSW police get pay rise above wage cap post 369

Everyone knows that teachers, the police, prison officers, firemen, nurses etc
post 367

does anyone have any figures on who got what pay rise in Australia in say 2009, 2010 and 2011 in Australia, say in the police, nurses, Correctionals officers, teachers, firemen post 364

It's better than a 0% pay rise on starting pay for a UK fireman post 358

Well unless what I read about the teachers, nurses, police, Correctionals officers in Australia getting good pay rises is wrong, then my post is correct, post 350

I have read many times that teachers, nurses, police, Correctionals officers, etc etc are getting good pay rises in Australia post 346

You said -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresta57
2% 4% who cares, your making claims that these guys are Well paidwhen the reality is they earn paltry wages that are not much more than you could earn working as an unskilled bar worker.
4% of jack shit is still jack shit.

I replied -

Quote:
Which guys? I never quoted anyone, I quoted average wages and said some earn more some earn less, just like the UK.

I never said anyone's wages were good or bad, all I said was the wages rises are better in Australia compared to the UK
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

My department managed 6% minimum last year. That was the 'cost of living' raise.

A few of us got a lot more, due to market trends.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

all I said was the wages rises are better in Australia compared to the UK
But they're not.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:08 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
My department managed 6% minimum last year. That was the 'cost of living' raise.

A few of us got a lot more, due to market trends.
I got 0.8%...and as a consultant I had great billable numbers, personal utilisation, customer satisfaction scores etc.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
I got 0.8%...and as a consultant I had great billable numbers, personal utilisation, customer satisfaction scores etc.
We are all contractors.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

And this - Queensland Teachers Union information on teachers' pay rise.
The first salary increase of 2.7% will occur on 1 September 2012.
Subsequent increases of 2.7 % will occur on 1 September 2013 and 1 September 2014.

By 2014, the last salary increase under the proposed agreement, annual salaries for key classifications will be as follows:

Beginning teacher (band 2, step 1) $61, 636
5th year of teaching (band 2, step 5) $73, 037
Senior teacher $88, 143
Experienced senior teacher $90, 238
Heads of program $96, 817 to $117,464
Teaching principal (SL1-2) $102, 481 to $113, 076

Theres no sign of no pay rises for the last 3 years and measly pay rises of just 1% pay increases which are being imposed on millions of public sector workers here in the UK happening in Australia.
All paid for by the taxpayer. Well and good when we are doing well, but when we inevitably slow down.........

UK civil servants are only getting 1% as that country has too many and can no longer afford them.

Last edited by Amazulu; Nov 14th 2012 at 12:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.