Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But they're not.
I feel it's pointless entering into any further discussion with the poster. We're simply wasting our time. I anticipate an influx of threads circa 2014 lamenting how poor things are & how no one said conditions were so crap yada yada yada
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
My department managed 6% minimum last year. That was the 'cost of living' raise.

A few of us got a lot more, due to market trends.
general point : who knows whether across the board Australians got big prices.....take your stats from where you choose......

6pc is not bad......I got 15pc this year, same job.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I feel it's pointless entering into any further discussion with the poster. We're simply wasting our time. I anticipate an influx of threads circa 2014 lamenting how poor things are & how no one said conditions were so crap yada yada yada
I know how you feel - obviously those of us in the public service in Australia are just liars online and are all fat cats really Tell that to my bank manager! As for the many thousands of public servants who no longer have jobs at all, I guess they imagined their termination letters
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember the last time the husband got a pay rise. I got a dollar an hour more about six months before they 'let me go'. Sorry to boast.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:29 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
general point : who knows whether across the board Australians got big prices.....take your stats from where you choose......

Ah well we all know how amazing your area of work is. In the Australia inhabited by a large number of posters though, 6% is known ad a pipe dream while 15% is in the realms of "WTF were YOU smoking last night?"
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:18 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But they're not.

I think your right, the average wage rise of the previous 10 years in Australia of about 4.5% is lower than the average wage rise in the UK which was a lot lower than the 4.5%

Glad we cleared that up.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:22 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I work in the public sector in the UK and I and millions of others won't have had a 6 per cent payrise in total, from 2009 to 2015 but it's still higher than what people in Australia are getting on average.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know how you feel - obviously those of us in the public service in Australia are just liars online and are all fat cats really Tell that to my bank manager! As for the many thousands of public servants who no longer have jobs at all, I guess they imagined their termination letters
It all reminds me of a recent nurses thread. I do get the feeling though it is just a wind up as no-one could really just ignore the facts being posted by people actually living in Australia and seriously just keep posting the same Googled stats over and over.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:08 am
Banned

Better than no stats at all, better than my mates, uncles sisters aunty hasn't had a decent pay rise, so that proves the GOOGLED stats that are taking in to account hundreds of thousands of peoples average wages are wrong.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:13 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby, known in his area of work, was head hunted years ago with $10K here, $15k there per year and we gladly took it as we were low income family with three small kids. Now I'm talking late 90s early 2000. In the last 5 yrs, still head hunted, pay offers now $1000 more a year, pay rise from current employer from the last 6 yrs has been total of $970 in those six years. I've gone from working shifts (16hrs per day) and therefore getting $20+ weekend shifts and public holidays per hour, to working for myself $25 per hour.... So in total in the last 6 yrs our income has increased maybe $20k per year but them bills, them bills....

6 Years ago fuel.... gosh, remember going to Exmouth and crying at the $1.25/l, when it was about a dollar or less in Perth... Now we don't even blink at $1.6/l at our area.

Food bill, jeez, gone from $220 fortnight to $500 at least (5 ppl, yes kids are growing up and eating more but I still try homebrand where I can). Leccy, 6 solar panels now but hey ho, still double from 5 years ago without panels!

Job markets etc.... Jeez, we live in an area where most miners come home to from FIFO.... plenty of cash to burn, hence rental market and buying power showing it. I can go to the local shops at 2pm, see plenty of families really really struggling with prices mentioned above, sad but loving where they live and understanding the situation, current mining market at our area hitting us in the pocket.... Or I can go there most Tue nights when FIFO come in and heavens hell, $ 800 for junk food for a week and all good.

Whilst I know plenty of FIFO families and especially the wives who are single parenting whilst partners working (and whinging about it), come on, hubby bringing in $160k a year, is hardly the same as one of my best friends, widow, bringing up 4 teenagers on her own whilst trying to do uni degree is worlds apart. And to add, I have been a single parent of 3 kids, I know the struggles!

So to summarise, Pit Bull, you have no idea until you live here. Horses for courses, each income to themselves but living is BLOODY expensive!!! It wasn't so 5 years plus ago but it sure as hell is now. We are back tracking big time, as are most of the people we know. Still managing, but by no means calling it cheap. Add to that job insecurity, and the fact that prices are STILL raising with gas, leccy, phone, fuel, water, school, uniforms, book orders.... never mind the biggest rise of all, FOOD! Happy sitting in UK saying Oz is great? I love Oz, it's my home, will never leave but you seriously need to either stop commenting on every day life you know nothing about or atleast remove those damned rose tinted glasses of yours!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Better than no stats at all, better than my mates, uncles sisters aunty hasn't had a decent pay rise, so that proves the GOOGLED stats that are taking in to account hundreds of thousands of peoples average wages are wrong.
But people who live here, doing the jobs in the public sector and dealing with the cost of living are telling you stuff and you just aren't listening. You think because google tells you something that it will apply to you. I don't often agree with Chris but on this issue I do. You need to wake up and smell the roses Jim and realise that until you live here you don't have a bloody clue.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by chris955
It all reminds me of a recent nurses thread. I do get the feeling though it is just a wind up as no-one could really just ignore the facts being posted by people actually living in Australia and seriously just keep posting the same Googled stats over and over.
Ah that would be the one where a couple of Aussie nurses took time tom post their experieences of working here but Pit Bull seemed to think they weren't being honest?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by northernbird
But people who live here, doing the jobs in the public sector and dealing with the cost of living are telling you stuff and you just aren't listening. You think because google tells you something that it will apply to you. I don't often agree with Chris but on this issue I do. You need to wake up and smell the roses Jim and realise that until you live here you don't have a bloody clue.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Hubby, known in his area of work, was head hunted years ago with $10K here, $15k there per year and we gladly took it as we were low income family with three small kids. Now I'm talking late 90s early 2000. In the last 5 yrs, still head hunted, pay offers now $1000 more a year, pay rise from current employer from the last 6 yrs has been total of $970 in those six years. I've gone from working shifts (16hrs per day) and therefore getting $20+ weekend shifts and public holidays per hour, to working for myself $25 per hour.... So in total in the last 6 yrs our income has increased maybe $20k per year but them bills, them bills....

6 Years ago fuel.... gosh, remember going to Exmouth and crying at the $1.25/l, when it was about a dollar or less in Perth... Now we don't even blink at $1.6/l at our area.

Food bill, jeez, gone from $220 fortnight to $500 at least (5 ppl, yes kids are growing up and eating more but I still try homebrand where I can). Leccy, 6 solar panels now but hey ho, still double from 5 years ago without panels!

Job markets etc.... Jeez, we live in an area where most miners come home to from FIFO.... plenty of cash to burn, hence rental market and buying power showing it. I can go to the local shops at 2pm, see plenty of families really really struggling with prices mentioned above, sad but loving where they live and understanding the situation, current mining market at our area hitting us in the pocket.... Or I can go there most Tue nights when FIFO come in and heavens hell, $ 800 for junk food for a week and all good.

Whilst I know plenty of FIFO families and especially the wives who are single parenting whilst partners working (and whinging about it), come on, hubby bringing in $160k a year, is hardly the same as one of my best friends, widow, bringing up 4 teenagers on her own whilst trying to do uni degree is worlds apart. And to add, I have been a single parent of 3 kids, I know the struggles!

So to summarise, Pit Bull, you have no idea until you live here. Horses for courses, each income to themselves but living is BLOODY expensive!!! It wasn't so 5 years plus ago but it sure as hell is now. We are back tracking big time, as are most of the people we know. Still managing, but by no means calling it cheap. Add to that job insecurity, and the fact that prices are STILL raising with gas, leccy, phone, fuel, water, school, uniforms, book orders.... never mind the biggest rise of all, FOOD! Happy sitting in UK saying Oz is great? I love Oz, it's my home, will never leave but you seriously need to either stop commenting on every day life you know nothing about or atleast remove those damned rose tinted glasses of yours!
Well Said
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Originally Posted by Pollyana
x2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.