Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:47 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
It is.
You & Pol only work here Emma, he's read it you know he must be right.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I know, he's bound to be right, he's using statistics. I tend to look at my buying power with the $$ in my grubby paw in real life, and I know thats reduced in recent years. I'm not prepared to waste my time looking for meaningless percentages for someone who likes to wear rose-tints so thick he can't see through them

Come back Ceri and Dotty, you'd have great fun chatting to Mr Pit Bull
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:53 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
What rises have you had in the last three years before this year? Millions have had nothing in the UK. We have been told we will get a 1% rise year on year though which is abysmal, so the wage gap is still widening.
No-one is disputing what is happening in the UK and has been happening over the last few years. What they ARE saying is that your belief that Australian public sector workers are receiving good pay rises, is incorrect. Historically, yes, Public Sector workers have received good pay and good pay rises, as was the case in the UK, historically. But at this moment in time, this is NOT the case.

Quoting figures based on historical data will not provide you with an accurate representation of the current situation. What will, is listening to the people on the ground, who are there and living it.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:56 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

I'm here your there, we can only be in one place at a time, does anyone have any figures on who got what pay rise in Australia in say 2009, 2010 and 2011 in Australia, say in the police, nurses, Correctionals officers, teachers, firemen. The figure is 0% rise for them here in the UK, so I'm confident that what I'm saying is correct.

Have there been rubbish rises in Australia, it would be nice for some proof, but no ones putting up any figures, apart from the 2.2% figure this year in the link.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

it would be nice for some proof, but no ones putting up any figures.
So where are your links Jim?

Or is this more of your usual bullshit?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:59 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rasen78
No-one is disputing what is happening in the UK and has been happening over the last few years. What they ARE saying is that your belief that Australian public sector workers are receiving good pay rises, is incorrect. Historically, yes, Public Sector workers have received good pay and good pay rises, as was the case in the UK, historically. But at this moment in time, this is NOT the case.

Quoting figures based on historical data will not provide you with an accurate representation of the current situation. What will, is listening to the people on the ground, who are there and living it.

I fully agree with what you are saying, but I am talking about wage rises over the years and how they compare, to rises in the UK, the gap is widening and I have worked in the public sector in the UK for a long time and pay rises have been poor for a long time now.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
So where are your links Jim?

Or is this more of your usual bullshit?
Everyone knows that teachers, the police, prison officers, firemen, nurses etc haven't had a pay rise in the last 3 years here in the UK, sorry if the facts offend folk.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked in the public sector in the UK for a long time and pay rises have been poor for a long time now.
Is this in the prison warden job or the hospital porter job?

Be careful you don't get your stories mixed up
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:22 am
Banned

Now I have just googled this - NSW police get pay rise above wage cap
Updated Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:56pm AEST

PHOTO: NSW Police officers will receive a 9.9 per cent wage increase over three years (Budget boost for NSW police force)
The Industrial Relations Commission has awarded a 9.9 per cent wage increase over three years to New South Wales police.

The independent arbitrator has announced a first year increase of 3.5 per cent, backdated to July 2011.

Anyone got any figures for the last few years for public sector workers in Australia?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:27 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here your there, we can only be in one place at a time, does anyone have any figures on who got what pay rise in Australia in say 2009, 2010 and 2011 in Australia, say in the police, nurses, Correctionals officers, teachers, firemen. The figure is 0% rise for them here in the UK, so I'm confident that what I'm saying is correct.

Have there been rubbish rises in Australia, it would be nice for some proof, but no ones putting up any figures, apart from the 2.2% figure this year in the link.
2% 4% who cares, your making claims that these guys are well paid when the reality is they earn paltry wages that are not much more than you could earn working as an unskilled bar worker.
4% of jack shit is still jack shit.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:44 am
Banned

2% 4% who cares, your making claims that these guys are well paid when the reality is they earn paltry wages that are not much more than you could earn working as an unskilled bar worker.
Which guys? I never quoted anyone, I quoted average wages and said some earn more some earn less, just like the UK.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching the fire in Collinsville develop yesterday, following the QFRS log. Out of nowhere, possibly caused by a spark from a train, they had several urban crews, rurals called in from wherever they could get them (being a Monday morning) - they worked like crazy to protect the village, which included evacuating a nursing home with the fire only metres from houses, schools and an industrial estate. Successful in the end, but could have been a very different stoyr. To see how fast the resources were assembled and how hard they worked was amazing - and yet they are putting their lives on the line for a derisory pay rate.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:50 am
Banned

Just found this from Perth.

Nurses chase 20pc pay rise

Nurses want 20 per cent more pay over three years, with their union warning that the flagship Fiona Stanley Hospital could become a white elephant without the salary boost.

The Australian Nursing Federation says the increase, worth about $190 a week in the first year, was needed to help stem the exodus of nurses and to attract recruits.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:00 am
Banned

And this - Queensland Teachers Union information on teachers' pay rise.
The first salary increase of 2.7% will occur on 1 September 2012.
Subsequent increases of 2.7 % will occur on 1 September 2013 and 1 September 2014.

By 2014, the last salary increase under the proposed agreement, annual salaries for key classifications will be as follows:

Beginning teacher (band 2, step 1) $61, 636
5th year of teaching (band 2, step 5) $73, 037
Senior teacher $88, 143
Experienced senior teacher $90, 238
Heads of program $96, 817 to $117,464
Teaching principal (SL1-2) $102, 481 to $113, 076

Theres no sign of no pay rises for the last 3 years and measly pay rises of just 1% pay increases which are being imposed on millions of public sector workers here in the UK happening in Australia.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:06 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

All well and good with these mysterious pay increases in Australia when the cost of living is rising as it is. Some posters have no clue sat on their computers only having ever been on holiday and thinking they know it all. Pathetic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.