Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:28 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: Name one thing in Oz that is cheaper than in the UK

I am not commenting on every day life, where do I say that, I am not saying it's fantastic in Australia, I'm not making any comments about life in Australia at all, I have quoted about average wages and average pay rises, which have clearly gone up a lot more in Australia than the UK over the last several years with inflation running at a similar level in each country, so the wage gap is widening. I know this irks the crap out of some, which then leads on to attacking the poster and ignoring the facts of the post, because it's easy to do the former and impossible to disclaim the facts of what I am saying. Please anyone feel free to prove me wrong and if they do I will say the stats from google are wrong. It appears you can't say anything good about Australia without being jumped on, I find this strange, I have said a lot of good things about the UK on numerous occasions and there has been a few digs back at me when I have done so, but when I post anything good about Australia, not about living there, things like the great weather, or the stunning beaches, or the big houses etc etc, this seems to send some in to a vitriolic frenzy.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I am not commenting on every day life, where do I say that, I am not saying it's fantastic in Australia, I'm not making any comments about life in Australia at all, I have quoted about average wages and average pay rises, which have clearly gone up a lot more in Australia than the UK over the last several years with inflation running at a similar level in each country, so the wage gap is widening. I know this irks the crap out of some, which then leads on to attacking the poster and ignoring the facts of the post, because it's easy to do the former and impossible to disclaim the facts of what I am saying. Please anyone feel free to prove me wrong and if they do I will say the stats from google are wrong. It appears you can't say anything good about Australia without being jumped on, I find this strange, I have said a lot of good things about the UK on numerous occasions and there has been a few digs back at me when I have done so, but when I post anything good about Australia, not about living there, things like the great weather, or the stunning beaches, or the big houses etc etc, this seems to send some in to a vitriolic frenzy.
Well as long as everything you read is true - you'll be fine now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-pay-rise.html
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:45 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Well as long as everything you read is true - you'll be fine now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-pay-rise.html

That looks like it's from donkeys years ago, Alun Milburn was one of the old Labour health secretaries, nurses in the UK will have a 3% pay increase from 2009 to 2015. That's 3% in total, not yearly, how does that compare to nurses pay rises in Australia? Over that same 6 year period. You see, people see this has an attack on the UK, this is a none issue to me, I am just pointing something out about pay rises and instead if attacking the post, it appears it's fair game to attack the poster instead and say this and that about me, when I have made no comment about any of these things, all because its not pleasant reading for some.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
But people who live here, doing the jobs in the public sector and dealing with the cost of living are telling you stuff and you just aren't listening. You think because google tells you something that it will apply to you. I don't often agree with Chris but on this issue I do. You need to wake up and smell the roses Jim and realise that until you live here you don't have a bloody clue.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like it's from donkeys years ago, Alun Milburn was one of the old Labour health secretaries, nurses in the UK will have a 3% pay increase from 2009 to 2015. That's 3% in total, not yearly, how does that compare to nurses pay rises in Australia? Over that same 6 year period. You see, people see this has an attack on the UK, this is a none issue to me, I am just pointing something out about pay rises and instead if attacking the post, it appears it's fair game to attack the poster instead and say this and that about me, when I have made no comment about any of these things, all because its not pleasant reading for some.
My bad - should have looked closer. Still you can't say Oz has had bigger pay rises when you had 10 or even 12.5% according to that article

Regardless - there are many ways of working out average pay rises

e.g - you got 1%, I got 33% - so average pay rise is 17% and we're all winners
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:06 am
Banned

My bad - should have looked closer. Still you can't say Oz has had bigger pay rises when you had 10 or even 12.5% according to that article

Regardless - there are many ways of working out average pay rises

e.g - you got 1%, I got 33% - so average pay rise is 17% and we're all winners

Thanks for actually discussing this without becoming personal. The figures in the article are similar to the rises in Australia over that period, but from 2009 until 2015 millions of public sector workers, Doctors, nurses, police, teachers, prison officers, firemen etc, etc are only getting a total of 3% increase over 6 years in their wages and if anyone can show similar figures to this in Australia, I will concede that I got it wrong.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:16 am

Thanks for actually discussing this without becoming personal. The figures in the article are similar to the rises in Australia over that period, but from 2009 until 2015 millions of public sector workers, Doctors, nurses, police, teachers, prison officers, firemen etc, etc are only getting a total of 3% increase over 6 years in their wages and if anyone can show similar figures to this in Australia, I will concede that I got it wrong.
but you are looking at a limited part of the UK market and comparing it to a broader Oz market it would seem. Average pay rises in Oz include pay rises given in all sectors, including mining. But then you say public sector in UK only getting 3% from 2009 to 2015.

The telegraph today reports public sector wages have been growing faster than private sector wages, which may explain a current pay freeze (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/j...and-falls.html). It gives public sector pay rises as 15.9% since 2006 compared to 10.2 in the private sector but does agree that it lags infaltion. The same is probably true of Australia, particularly given all the first hand evidence people are giving you. What they say is real experience, and that has to be better than any newspaper story.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:23 am
Banned

I have had enough of the personal attacks, could my site be closed down please.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:32 am

I'm sorry - that wasn't meant to be personal - just a reply to what you had posted. I'm sorry for you if you took what I posted personally.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

You mean your account.As far as I know you need to contact Sue,who will help you there.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry - that wasn't meant to be personal - just a reply to what you had posted. I'm sorry for you if you took what I posted personally.
I didn't read it as his meaning you.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
I didn't read it as his meaning you.
Ah! The other armchair expert has turned up

Do you two have separate armchairs or do you share the same settee when googling?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

but you are looking at a limited part of the UK market and comparing it to a broader Oz market it would seem. Average pay rises in Oz include pay rises given in all sectors, including mining. But then you say public sector in UK only getting 3% from 2009 to 2015.

The telegraph today reports public sector wages have been growing faster than private sector wages, which may explain a current pay freeze (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/j...and-falls.html). It gives public sector pay rises as 15.9% since 2006 compared to 10.2 in the private sector but does agree that it lags infaltion. The same is probably true of Australia, particularly given all the first hand evidence people are giving you. What they say is real experience, and that has to be better than any newspaper story.

People have been fighting over stats, real stories and opinions for years...
Stats are sort of true, but you have to find them, and read them and interpret them properly.

Even when people tell their experiences, someone somewhere will say it doesn't match theirs - or it can't happen...I sometimes try to frame their experience in the context of their life - which might naturally be different to mine.

Can we even rely on BE for accuracy - this site might be biased towards certain groups...

mind boggling!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Ah! The other armchair expert has turned up

Do you two have separate armchairs or do you share the same settee when googling?
Please provide examples or go onto the naughty step, although getting up on it would be a challenge for you no doubt.

Last edited by TheArmChairDetective; Nov 14th 2012 at 9:51 am.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Please provide examples or go onto the naughty step, although getting up on it would be a challenge for you no doubt.
Come on now Tony
We know you are always there to back poor old Jim up when he gets into difficulties.

Perhaps if either of you had lived abroad you may be a bit more realistic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.