Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ??

Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ??

Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:35 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
As for tank water, it is perfectly safe to drink. Anyone who isn't too keen, you can get a 2 micron filter fitted. Bird poo is 5 microns so it doesn't get through.

You may have seen many houses don't have the TV aerial over the roof. This is so the birds don't crap all over the roof and spoil the rain water.

God, will my supply of useless information never end???
No, no, no ....this isn't useless info. I'm sure that plenty of people don't bother with that filter, that way they get a bit more flavour in their drinking water.

In fact I've heard that down deadvim's way, people actually install extra TV aerials for that purpose.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:19 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ

It's not just bird crap that can get in your tank water, there are lots of chemicals that get added from it falling through the sky onto your roof and into your tank and if you live in a rural area dont think that it's safer.

Pesticides, fungicides, insecticides, lots of chemicals used in farming. nitrogen and sulfur compounds can be carried 1000's of miles in the air, and diesel particulate is 0.1 micrometers.

I personally would not drink tank water.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:29 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
It's not just bird crap that can get in your tank water, there are lots of chemicals that get added from it falling through the sky onto your roof and into your tank and if you live in a rural area dont think that it's safer.

Pesticides, fungicides, insecticides, lots of chemicals used in farming. nitrogen and sulfur compounds can be carried 1000's of miles in the air, and diesel particulate is 0.1 micrometers.

I personally would not drink tank water.
Given Brisbane's fluoridation infrastructure we are all playing Russian Roulette ... http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...risbane-water/
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Given Brisbane's fluoridation infrastructure we are all playing Russian Roulette ... http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...risbane-water/
Very true! I knew there was a reason I don't oftern drink water
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:48 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Hi Asp...I can confirm that they were insulting me and that I'm very glad to be insulted. If they are having a go at me, then they are leaving some other poor sod alone.

As for tank water, it is perfectly safe to drink. Anyone who isn't too keen, you can get a 2 micron filter fitted. Bird poo is 5 microns so it doesn't get through.

You may have seen many houses don't have the TV aerial over the roof. This is so the birds don't crap all over the roof and spoil the rain water.

God, will my supply of useless information never end???
I know you can take it

Was it you looking for Bisto Gravy Powder the other day by the way........
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:01 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on the levels that were released usually fluoride is added at 1ppm anything over 10ppm can start to cause fluorosis. The dose and length of exposure would need to be taken into account before determining if the dose was toxic.

It's a bit like anything, drugs like antibiotics in small doses over a sustained period of time have very beneficial health effects, in larger doses over shorter times they will kill you.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Very true! I knew there was a reason I don't oftern drink water
Stick to the alcohol Polly it's safer
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on the levels that were released usually fluoride is added at 1ppm anything over 10ppm can start to cause fluorosis. The dose and length of exposure would need to be taken into account before determining if the dose was toxic.

It's a bit like anything, drugs like antibiotics in small doses over a sustained period of time have very beneficial health effects, in larger doses over shorter times they will kill you.
I'll stick to my 1ppm (possum per month).

Reminds me, must clear the gutters ... again ...
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:16 pm

I'll stick to my 1ppm (possum per month).

Reminds me, must clear the gutters ... again ...
Ok, I'll take myself back to the word association thread, I can say utter shite in there and it's all good
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:23 pm
Home and Happy

Stick to the alcohol Polly it's safer
Thats my reasoning Currently demolishing a pint of Bulmers and a bag of Walkers Salt and Vinegar....how close to heaven can one get in brisbane
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

Ok, I'll take myself back to the word association thread, I can say utter shite in there and it's all good
Stay here, let us, together, convince those peeps that are thinking of coming over that the path to happiness is NOT regular visits to the "British Shop"

Mmmm, Monster Munch ...
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:32 pm
Mostly Harmless

<snip>How close to heaven can one get in brisbane
I try to with the wife but it's more like Devon.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:34 pm
Home and Happy

Stay here, let us, together, convince those peeps that are thinking of coming over that the path to happiness is NOT regular visits to the "British Shop"

Mmmm, Monster Munch ...
They have roast beef flavour and pickled onion flavour...........go on......you know you want to.....
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:36 pm
Home and Happy

I try to with the wife but it's more like Devon.
I have this disturbing image involving clotted cream......
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:38 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have this disturbing image involving clotted cream......
Or clotted arteries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.