Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ??

Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ??

Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
What's in them, are they just like a hobnob kinda thing?
Lots of lovely animal fats... you wouldn't like them.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:42 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Lots of lovely animal fats... you wouldn't like them.
Oiiii cheeky lol
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Oiiii cheeky lol
In reality they just seem like really hard bickies to me..
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

In reality they just seem like really hard bickies to me..
Try erm with your false teeth in They just become crumbly ones then.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Try erm with your false teeth in They just become crumbly ones then.
Can you still get Rusk's. I could just suck a rusk.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can you still get Rusk's. I could just suck a rusk.
Oooh yes, proper Farley's ones
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:14 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
One of mine is a love for ice cream!

Never much fussed about it in England, but love the selections available here!

Yumm!!
oh come on food here is CRAP! apart from the steak n chips at the buderim tavern.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:16 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonni boy
oh come on food here is CRAP! apart from the steak n chips at the buderim tavern.
Very informative post. I shall remember that. Do you know how chips are made?
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:22 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Very informative post. I shall remember that. Do you know how chips are made?
YES. you walk into that magical place called a chippy, pay ya money and then the magical chippy fairy slams them on the counter.

you should get out more!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:34 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

YES. you walk into that magical place called a chippy, pay ya money and then the magical chippy fairy slams them on the counter.

you should get out more!
-
Attached Thumbnails Instead of what foods you miss from the UK, what have you gained a love for in OZ??-potato.jpg  
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Red Rock Deli Chips
Zarraffas Coffee
Used to only really have Avocados at christmas for some reason. Have them all the time now, almost OD on them
Can't think of anything else. Probably eat more fish here.

Oh any food served in a beach side restaurant. Seems to taste nicer than in a place on a busy dirty cold street.
I agree about the red rock deli ; Lime & black pepper. Have you tried the rice ones in the light green packet - they are delicious - like skips gone wrong lol! Red rock two for $5 this week at coles.

I love Zarraffas too - caramelised cappucino!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
They should have them at your local Market Deli, you can buy Greek ones in tins for about 8 bucks, with 40 in them. Pretty sure they do them in Coles and Woolworths as well. They are a lot more expensive at the Supermarkets from memory. Wifes asleep so cant ask her yet. Once you start they are difficult to stop eating.
They are quite easy to make and much nicer than the ones that are commercially produced. Youcan usually buy the leaves in lebanese, greek or turkish deli shops. They are time consuming but it is worth it.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

you should get out more!
Originally Posted by alistairboyle
-
I adore chips - and crisps, and any other form of potatoes. I treat them like some women do chocolate, my saviour at certain times. Lucky enough to have a local chip shop that does real chips and fish in proper batter
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:05 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

oh come on food here is CRAP!
It must be different food to what I'm eating then!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

The first time I encountered non-English food was when I was 16, on the Yorkshire Lille Exchange from school, when I stayed 3 weeks with a French wine merchant's family. I loved it all, including the wines which were new to me. I'd never had alcohol before. But the food - wonderful.

At 19 I went to live in Vienna as an au pair girl, and again, I loved the food. To this day I can make a Wiener Schnitzel like the Austrians do, though my husband draws the line at Kaiserschmarrn ( a sort of scrambled pancake). I daren't each much Austrian though - it is so very fattening. For instance, a favourite was curd pancakes: pancakes stuffed and rolled with a mixture of curds, egg yolk, raisins and sugar, then packed together in a dish and baked in cream. And who can forget Apfelstrudel?

Then at 34 I came to live here in Queensland, and from the beginning I loved the tropical fruits most of all. As for cooking: my husband does most of the dinners, and they are traditional English, but when I cook there isn't that much Australian influence. As I mentioned before, I rather like lammingtons, and also Pavlova, but the traditional BBQ leaves me cold. Burnt sausages and iceberg lettuce salad - no thanks.

So I guess I use Australian foods in a sort of European manner - best of all worlds really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.