Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I agree with the comments about black skin.

It really gets on my tits when I hear about stuff like that. I wonder where it started from that people truly seem to believe that because they have white skin that they are more intelligent and superior?

Because anyone that thinks they are superior purely on the basis of having white skin, is actually sadly lacking in intelligence.

We met a few racist people in Namibia who thought they were superior because they were white, yet they relied on the guide who was black, to demonstrate his knowledge of the desert and area to give them a fantastic 3 day trip.

Makes you laugh, well actually the 'white man' superior to 'black man' attitude makes me feel sick but I am still curious to know who put the idea in their heads.
Ironic really since the only thing that makes you "black" or "white" is the amount of melanin in your skin, as for who put the idea into their head, I reckon you would be hard pushed to find a "start" point? dunno know enough about history
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:18 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Difference with english and Oz immigrants is that to get into Oz is a long, hard lengthy process and unless you have family, a wanted job or a lot of money you don't get in. Anyone can get in England..it's getting out thats the problem!!
Not true, the only immigrants who get into the uk easily are fellow europeans. Just as hard to get a residency visa for the Uk. Loads of Kiwis coming to oz with no qualifictions, so no difference.

Also loads of other nationalities getting in to oz with no qualifications, so it's exactly the same as the uk.

Last edited by fraser; Feb 5th 2008 at 7:20 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:02 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little surprised at all the racism you guys have found here. In 11 months have heard only a couple of rather odd, almost jokey, statements. Like about the extremely poor ability of Asian drivers, etc

Couldn't this all just be overreaction about an old stereotype ? Not to get all psychological, but isn't it possible that you somehow expect to see lots of racism here due to this stereotype and when you do it seems like its everywhere because you're focusing on it ?

Don't get me wrong I don't doubt there are serious racists here, I'm just not sure that it's as pandemic as people believe. All that said, we do live in a metropolitan suburb of Melbourne, which is an extremely mixed cosmopolitan city.

Just a thought from my coffee filled brain this morning.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 5th 2008 at 8:05 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
There is no way I am going to be known as a "whinging pom" when I get to Australia..if I winge about anything it will be the U.K!! Plus, where I am going-Cairns, it is very multi cultural.

That's very to easy to say while you're still living in the comfort of your own country, with family and friends around you.

You will see what I mean once you're out here.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
Ironic really since the only thing that makes you "black" or "white" is the amount of melanin in your skin, as for who put the idea into their head, I reckon you would be hard pushed to find a "start" point? dunno know enough about history
Not really the only thing. Studies have shown that white people, "on average" , are more intelligent than black people.

Look how advanced white nations are compared to black. The aboriginals in 1788 weren't even aware wood would float I.e they didn't even have canoes.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:15 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Don't get me wrong I don't doubt there are serious racists here, I'm just not sure that it's as pandemic as people believe. All that said, we do live in a metropolitan suburb of Melbourne, which is an extremely mixed cosmopolitan city.

Just a thought from my coffee filled brain this morning.

Al
I also live in Melbourne

Since we've been here we've shopped at the markets of Footscray and Springvale often, whenever we would tell a white aussie we were shopping at such places they'd look horrified and ask why? We'd say why not? We'd always get comments like "they're full of gooks" or "how can you buy meat from there, you wont know what you're buying" once we picked up on we used to mention it to people to see hat they would say and let me tell you it wasn't very often that you didn't get a negative comment.

Also I've worked at a lot of warehouse's and racist comments are rife.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Not really the only thing. Studies have shown that white people, "on average" , are more intelligent than black people.
Surely that's down to less opportunities with education?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fraser
Surely that's down to less opportunities with education?
You have to ask yourself why they have less education opportunities? Why does white many dominant the world? ... it all comes back to intelligence. Doesn't mean we're nicer people, just that we're smarter.

Anyhow, the studies I've read were done on people with very similar education levels.

Australian aboriginals scored the lowest out of any race in the world.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:42 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Look how advanced white nations are compared to black. The aboriginals in 1788 weren't even aware wood would float I.e they didn't even have canoes.

Have you been talking to my Granddad?

'Advanced' = approximately 200 years of European occupation of Australia. Degradation of the land, mass salinity problems, major river systems in danger of running dry, increasing numbers of animals on the endangered list.

'Less Advanced' = 40 thousand years of self sufficient, non-destructive Aboriginal occupation of Australia in harmony with the native animals.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:49 pm

You have to ask yourself why they have less education opportunities? Why does white many dominant the world? ... it all comes back to intelligence. Doesn't mean we're nicer people, just that we're smarter.

Anyhow, the studies I've read were done on people with very similar education levels.

Seems to me you wouldn't know anything about intelligence, ignorance on the other hand...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:52 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

How ironic then that this would appear to be the dumbest post Ive read this year.

Last edited by penky; Feb 5th 2008 at 9:31 pm. Reason: or should it be the Falklands/Maldives post,hmm decisions....
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Alf Garnett has joined British Expats!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:32 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
I also live in Melbourne
Also I've worked at a lot of warehouse's and racist comments are rife.
This is true mate. I haven't really worked in Melbourne yet, all of my experiences come from social interaction.

What "studies", do you have a source please... and no BNP and other right wing pamphlets don't count.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to say bollocks on here but there you go

Originally Posted by renth
x2
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigAPE
This is true mate. I haven't really worked in Melbourne yet, all of my experiences come from social interaction.

What "studies", do you have a source please... and no BNP and other right wing pamphlets don't count.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to say bollocks on here but there you go

x2
Do your own research. There has been heaps of research on this. Make up your own mind. I couldn't care less what your view is.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
Never heard of him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.