Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Originally Posted by Grayling
Doesn't the same apply to Australia?.....that's pretty far away from Africa etc. but there are plenty of African refugees there.

G
Maybe! Although there's also a vast expanse of nothing all around Australia, whereas UK is surrounded by other countries (unless someone seeks asylum from USA across the Atlantic!).

Which makes me think, do these people flying around the world pay for their own tickets? Can't be cheap... But I suppose that way you pick your country of destination. Perhaps they should be counted up and shared around, to send out a message that you can't just pick what country you want to go to.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Originally Posted by esperanza
Maybe! Although there's also a vast expanse of nothing all around Australia, whereas UK is surrounded by other countries (unless someone seeks asylum from USA across the Atlantic!).

Which makes me think, do these people flying around the world pay for their own tickets? Can't be cheap... But I suppose that way you pick your country of destination. Perhaps they should be counted up and shared around, to send out a message that you can't just pick what country you want to go to.

It is very difficult to judge others in this situation......we are lucky enough to have freedom, and probably would never have to experience some of the hardships that many asylum seekers suffer. At the end of the day, it is the governments that should resolve these issues, and those that feel really strongly about it should vote accordingly, English are always quick to moan, but never really that bothered to stand up and be heard, many people now do not bother voting....

I can also say hand on heart that if I knew of a country that would shelter me and my family from harm, put a roof over my head and was also known as a key player in global economy then I would do just the same. Many of these asylum seekers do work when they settle, and mostly end up doing all the unskilled jobs (toilets,bins,drain etc) that many British are not willing to do and would rather claim benefits off the state themselves!!!!!

We are all part of the same world, and ultimately the same destiny.....
should we not be more understanding of these people that have fled the only life they knew for safety, after all there were many Jewish that fled for their lives and safety.......do we slate them, or have we given them compassion for what they suffered? Colour should not matter........treat others how you want to be treated!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
If the country they landed in is a signatory of the UN Convention on Human Rights then that country has no choice but to assess their claim. All EU countries have signed this document.
Assess their situation perhaps. That does not that the country they land in has to accept them.

Why shouldn't they have a choice of where they live? Just because they were opressed in their home country doesn't mean that they have to be by the rest of the world. I think it's called freedom of choice.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
It is very difficult to judge others in this situation......we are lucky enough to have freedom, and probably would never have to experience some of the hardships that many asylum seekers suffer. At the end of the day, it is the governments that should resolve these issues, and those that feel really strongly about it should vote accordingly, English are always quick to moan, but never really that bothered to stand up and be heard, many people now do not bother voting....

I can also say hand on heart that if I knew of a country that would shelter me and my family from harm, put a roof over my head and was also known as a key player in global economy then I would do just the same. Many of these asylum seekers do work when they settle, and mostly end up doing all the unskilled jobs (toilets,bins,drain etc) that many British are not willing to do and would rather claim benefits off the state themselves!!!!!

We are all part of the same world, and ultimately the same destiny.....
should we not be more understanding of these people that have fled the only life they knew for safety, after all there were many Jewish that fled for their lives and safety.......do we slate them, or have we given them compassion for what they suffered? Colour should not matter........treat others how you want to be treated!
I can absolutely understand that individual people want to be in what they believe is the best place for them and their family. I don't blame them in the slightest, it's what everyone wants. I'm not against immigration, or asylum. It's just that in practice, I don't think it's feasible for a small number of 'target'-countries to home the entire populations of war-torn or economically undeveloped countries around the world. It's nothing to do with colour, or ethnicity, it's basic economics.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

I am for open immigration, but that sign they have in the front of the Statue of Liberty in New York City, "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." Can't they just say, "Hey, the door's open. We'll take whoever you got." Do they have to specify "The wretched refuse?" Why not just say, "Give us the unhappy, the sad, the slow, the ugly, the people that can't drive, people that have trouble merging, if they can't stay in their lane, if they don't signal, they can't parallel park, if they're sneezing, if they're stuffed up, if they have bad penmanship, if they don't return calls, if they have dandruff, food between their teeth, if they have bad credit, if they have no credit, missed a spot shaving... In other words, any dysfunctional, defective slob that you can somehow cattle prod onto a wagon, send them over. We want them." I think we might need to change the sign already.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:39 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'd say that had been the case for the last 30 years at least. The AP or Reuters news wires spit out a story, there's a cursory rewrite by a sub-editor and it goes off to print. The funny thing is that the newspapers haven't yet realised that the way to tackle plummeting sales in the face of 24 hour news stations is to employ good reporters who track down original stories - and not to reprint tedious shite about C-list celebrities.
Hutch and alicecat, it certainly seems that way. some good reporting would go along way. This country (UK) seems to thrive on celebrity shite and many do hang on every word and almost live their lifes by it.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bluejohn
Hutch and alicecat, it certainly seems that way. some good reporting would go along way. This country (UK) seems to thrive on celebrity shite and many do hang on every word and almost live their lifes by it.
Why are the Sugababes STILL about!!!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:50 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hutch
Average annual rainfall in Sydney is 327.6mm.
Average annual rainfall in Selby is 454.66mm.

Not that less rainfall is a good thing in this day and age ...
Sydney 327.6mm? Pfft, it gets that in January and February.

Its annual rainfall is 1214mm - the highest for any capital in Australia apart from Darwin.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:56 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter
Sydney 327.6mm? Pfft, it gets that in January and February.

Its annual rainfall is 1214mm - the highest for any capital in Australia apart from Darwin.
You seem to have mistaken me for somebody who gives a shit.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:10 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by burtreynoldsisonit
Why are the Sugababes STILL about!!!
I was told recently that one of these "singers" is now in the soap East Enders.I don't know if it's true and don't especially care.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

I was told recently that one of these "singers" is now in the soap East Enders.I don't know if it's true and don't especially care.
The number of immigrants in the UK is dwarfed by the number in closer european countries. More importantly the number of refugees in any european country is absolutely dwarfed by those found in neighbouring African countries. Of course those countries are the least well equiped to cope economically and socially.

We cannot just say that only those countries close to troubled parts are to accept the responsibility for refugees.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Not really the only thing. Studies have shown that white people, "on average" , are more intelligent than black people.

Look how advanced white nations are compared to black. The aboriginals in 1788 weren't even aware wood would float I.e they didn't even have canoes.
It depends on your definition of intelligence, they can eat and survive in an environment that myself and a lot of other "white" folk would die after a few days. Maybe they didn't care for canoes, but they must have known, how did they get to Australia otherwise?
Don't forget too, they were considered fauna, by whites...........
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Aus is much the same though. I watched grown men choking back tears in the office over the death of Heath Ledger, and the main talking points at work revolve around Australian Idol, Lost and other such programmes.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:40 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
It depends on your definition of intelligence, they can eat and survive in an environment that myself and a lot of other "white" folk would die after a few days. Maybe they didn't care for canoes, but they must have known, how did they get to Australia otherwise?
Don't forget too, they were considered fauna, by whites...........
Exactly..... making a canoe is a waste of energy in a hot, dry country. They knew exactly how to live in Australia and did so successfully for 40 thousand years.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Howard1944
princess, ever heard of the Nobel Prize, people of colour who win seem to excell in the area of politics, Mandela, Desmond T, people who win the Economics or Science awards are predominately from other ethnic groups.

Maybe they should start awarding more prizes to diverse groups, that would help destroy a stereotypdde??
de

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.