Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't speak for anyone but myself - I married an Aussie, that's why I came here. I dodn't come for love of the country or it's people in general, and I can't force myself to love it now I'm here, I can only live with it and make the best of it. If we went to the UK The Bloke would be in the position I'm in here - that's just life I'm afraid. Not a conscious decision not to like it, or not to fit in, many aspects of life here just don't suit me.
I do mate, recall you having positive things to say about Australia before you moved, though Polly. For you I think (as you say) it's more circumstance and day to day life...eg post office queues, humidity...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:59 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
i think it is amazing how tolerant australians are to pommy immigrants.....where i work there's an over abundance of poms who moan all the time...i haven;t heard a bad word said about them by any of the australian workers...in fact they are really nice to them despite the poms running down the job, the pay,the way of life,the shops,the weather...well everything

there is a constant flow of poms coming here..and i have to say of my twenty years..they are getting more and more whingy.....and have too high expectations
by reading this site it seems to be for all the wrong reasons and the wrong time in their lives...i think it would be mad to come here after your 30 and with kids...should have done it when you were young and not set in your ways.....

in 20 years all i have eve got is respect from australians and a true interest in me as a person
i almost feel like saying (as an Australian) don't come here and moan!!!!!
at least Ozzie's don't whinge as much
i suspect that there's a lot of people living here in australia who don't even know any Australians anyway
i don't want to get bitter....but i have read some stories here of going off to australia running it down and then going back

WHY BOTHER....go and live in bognor regis it would be much cheaper
Have you read 'Watching the English'? Moaning is not moaning for moaning's sake it is apparently therapeutic and a form of bonding. If we can accept that the Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Italians etc etc have certain idiosyncracies then why can't the English be accepted for theirs?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:18 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
by reading this site it seems to be for all the wrong reasons and the wrong time in their lives...i think it would be mad to come here after your 30 and with kids...should have done it when you were young and not set in your ways.....

Not only am I old then, but I must be mad and set in my ways .............now wheres ma slippers....
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:22 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
least we forget...how 80% of the population of the planet live

just be grateful you are where you are..today...this minute......

and stop moaning

(i'm not very patient today)
Great posts Why, ((((((((((a hug for you for not being patient, to chill ya)))))))))) i know when we do come to oz i will totally embrace everything 'oz', lifstyle culture, poeple everything.I just cant imagine what poeple have to moan about!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:24 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
I would agree to this. I was at a BBQ on Australia day and my bosses Daughter was moaning about the amount of immigrants around were she lives, Fitzroy in Melbourne. I jokingly said "thats right blame it on us foreigners" to which replied "Ho you don't count your white"
This didn't come from a silly all flag waving aussie teen, but from a mature woman who holds a responsible job.

I always give as good as I get when called a pom and I reckon most aussies want to be one too, well thats what I tell them
See these comments worry me as my fella is black (quite light skinned and born n bred in uk but all the same black)its one of the reasons hes ummming and rrrring about coming over.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Have you read 'Watching the English'? Moaning is not moaning for moaning's sake it is apparently therapeutic and a form of bonding. If we can accept that the Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Italians etc etc have certain idiosyncracies then why can't the English be accepted for theirs?
Yes, I read it recently. Fascinating book, I couldn't put it down.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:41 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

by who,its a country full of immagrants....
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I got told 'Wogs' are the Italian's here.
Apparently the Italians are Dings................... I think a Wog is a general term for someone from Yugoslavia.............. southern European countries ..........?

Dunno.................. I just call everyone mate............ I don't give a rat's arse where they come from. It's very cosmopolitan at our place when we entertain .................. plenty of black, blue, brindle .................... not too many Poms though................... we avoid them if we can
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:31 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
wog and pom are really terms of endearment in australia...

it's like all the slang words for people in UK like "monkey hangers" and cockney they aren't insults

much is a misunderstanding of the complexity of the australian language!!!!

bit like 'darky' or 'goliwog' was a term of endearment in Britain a few decades back you mean... there is no complexity is it racism.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:44 pm
Back in the UK

Originally Posted by hawkshaw
I personally have never met any prejudice from Aussies against Poms. In fact I often introduce myself as a Pommy B* and that seems to break any ice there might otherwise have been.

Lets play the substitution game here and see if there is no racism.

'In fact I often introduce myself as a Black B*****d and that seems to break any ice there might have otherwise been.'

Doesn't sound so lighthearted and fun now does it? Just sounds a bit like 50 years ago in Britain. Which has moved on from that.

A few years on and you will get sick of having to play the 'Pommy b****d' for the amusement of your ignorant and racist Australian friends. Because the more you play the game the more they won't change.

Also isn't banter meant to be from both sides. Tell me what happens when you say to them something bantery about Australia...

Last edited by alicecat; Feb 5th 2008 at 1:48 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alicecat
Lets play the substitution game here and see if there is no racism.

'In fact I often introduce myself as a Black B*****d and that seems to break any ice there might have otherwise been.'

Doesn't sound so lighthearted and fun now does it? Just sounds a bit like 50 years ago in Britain. Which has moved on from that.

A few years on and you will get sick of having to play the 'Pommy b****d' for the amusement of your ignorant and racist Australian friends. Because the more you play the game the more they won't change.

Also isn't banter meant to be from both sides. Tell me what happens when you say to them something bantery about Australia...

There are people that will hate on others regardless. No matter where you are there are haters right there waiting to hate on you. Jesus was perfect and only had twelve friends but even one of them turned out to be a hater. Racism is just the adult version of bullying. The government is just parents for adults and going to jail is the adult equivalent of being sent to your room.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
No, we have been here over 4 years and never come across any anti immigrant sentiment. You do get a bit of banter due to being a pomme but it's all just a bit of fun.

Mike.

Difference with english and Oz immigrants is that to get into Oz is a long, hard lengthy process and unless you have family, a wanted job or a lot of money you don't get in. Anyone can get in England..it's getting out thats the problem!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:27 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Racht70
See these comments worry me as my fella is black (quite light skinned and born n bred in uk but all the same black)its one of the reasons hes ummming and rrrring about coming over.
I agree with the comments about black skin.

It really gets on my tits when I hear about stuff like that. I wonder where it started from that people truly seem to believe that because they have white skin that they are more intelligent and superior?

Because anyone that thinks they are superior purely on the basis of having white skin, is actually sadly lacking in intelligence.

We met a few racist people in Namibia who thought they were superior because they were white, yet they relied on the guide who was black, to demonstrate his knowledge of the desert and area to give them a fantastic 3 day trip.

Makes you laugh, well actually the 'white man' superior to 'black man' attitude makes me feel sick but I am still curious to know who put the idea in their heads.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There's an element of truth in this. There are stacks of migrants who integrate and keep their own culture who don't carry on like some Poms(!)

I feel sorry for Australia in some ways with a minority of migrants.
There is no way I am going to be known as a "whinging pom" when I get to Australia..if I winge about anything it will be the U.K!! Plus, where I am going-Cairns, it is very multi cultural.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:43 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

princess, ever heard of the Nobel Prize, people of colour who win seem to excell in the area of politics, Mandela, Desmond T, people who win the Economics or Science awards are predominately from other ethnic groups.

Maybe they should start awarding more prizes to diverse groups, that would help destroy a stereotype??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.