Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Hello!

I've been wondering about how the ozzies feel about immigrants? In the UK, we are always hearing rants about immigrants and how they are a drain on the economy, using up schooling and taking jobs etc etc

I was just wondering if those emigrating from the UK to Australia come up against the same kinds of dislike and discrimination?

Thanks.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:57 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

I'd say it's pretty much the same.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

No, we have been here over 4 years and never come across any anti immigrant sentiment. You do get a bit of banter due to being a pomme but it's all just a bit of fun.

Mike.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

I'm quite happy to take the mic out of myself

I was just a little worried that we'd meet with disapproval from the natives when we get there!

I see it a lot here, we live on the outskirts of London and there is a high population of Eastern Europeans and they get lots of stick (not trying to start an argument on whether its justified or not and the state of our country) but I wondered whether it would be the same when the shoe was on the other foot so to speak.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

If you assimilate then you have no problems
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Good - we wholly intend to adopt to the Ozzie way of living. I can't wait!!! We're activating our visa in March with a holiday to the Gold Coast and will hopefully be emigrating in June 2009.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:39 pm
mers

mers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nice

A lot of us emigrating to Australia have put a lot of time and effort and money to get a visa to come over there and its not as easy as the UK to get into.
Also most of us, hopefully, we will bring some form of skill/trade that enabled us to get our visa. I don't think we will be a huge drain on the economy like the immigrants that walk into the UK do and enjoy the benefits of free housing and free healthcare.
I would like to hope that we will not be as disliked as the illegal ones coming into the Uk are, but if we are so be it. We're still coming!!!! see you in July
Looking forward to plenty of harmless pomme banter though!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
I was just wondering if those emigrating from the UK to Australia come up against the same kinds of dislike and discrimination?
Nope.

Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Eldrew05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

I've been wondering about how the ozzies feel about immigrants? In the UK, we are always hearing rants about immigrants and how they are a drain on the economy, using up schooling and taking jobs etc etc

Thanks.
I was wondering this too..I think immigrants get such a bad deal here, because the Uk is so over crowded now & the majority of those coming in often drain our benefit system/ housing etc..Whereas Brits to OZ are only allowed in if they can offer something & there is a lot more space for everyone to spread out & help the country become richer (not just in money terms)..I think anyone moving into a new country should embrace the culture/ religion (if any) of that country respect those who live there, their views & live alongside- not make their own divides..Never been to Oz - would love to go but would hate the Australians to dislike me just because I was an immigrant..I have no real experience this is just my thoughts..Hope this doesnt offend any one in any way..
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

tayella is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to Australia and be Australian - Simple.
Dont forget your roots as they are important but if you stick to your own then your only being Polish or Nigerian but in a different country.
My advise is MINGLE WITH EVERYONE!
I aint getting into any arguments about what ive said, its just how I feel and its my right to have that opinion.

Chris
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:40 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

I honestly dont think that it is a problem at all. You may get the odd idiot but you do everywhere.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:42 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We're a nation of migrants and absolutely everyone here is a migrant, first generation or the few since 1780. And thats the difference.

Interestingly if I were to make the sweeping statement, the only non migrant racial group in Australia is the more hated - the aboriginal.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:46 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
We're a nation of migrants and absolutely everyone here is a migrant, first generation or the few since 1780. And thats the difference.

Interestingly if I were to make the sweeping statement, the only non migrant racial group in Australia is the more hated - the aboriginal.
even in Melbourne ??

Lee

Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mers
A lot of us emigrating to Australia have put a lot of time and effort and money to get a visa to come over there and its not as easy as the UK to get into. Also most of us, hopefully, we will bring some form of skill/trade that enabled us to get our visa. I don't think we will be a huge drain on the economy like the immigrants that walk into the UK do and enjoy the benefits of free housing and free healthcare.
I would like to hope that we will not be as disliked as the illegal ones coming into the Uk are, but if we are so be it. We're still coming!!!! see you in July
Looking forward to plenty of harmless pomme banter though!!!!
I love those who think the UK is easy to emigrate to. We originally looked at moving to UK but didn't qualify. It's not as easy as walking in through customs and setting up house. Immigrants are also not handed everything on a platter, either.

So, if you are so against the immigrant population getting freebies from the government, I guess you won't be applying for Medicare? Or child tax benefit? Or the first homeowner's grant? All freebies that the government of Australia gives out.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Thanks.
Most white, English speaking or European immigrants will have no problem if they are prepared to assimilate and integrate.
Some non-white immigrants are resented - sometimes justifed, mostly not.
Australia is like any other Western Country - there is racism, some mistrust of foreigners etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.