Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
We are stardust, we are golden showers.

(multi-tabbed browsing is not without it's pitfalls )
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

I find some people are worse than others. There was an indian girl who worked where I used too and people would often refer to her as "the Indian" or "the dark one", behind her back. Everyone else was just called by their first name.

This was within a so called "professional environment" in Brisbane.

Racist? Maybe not, but very rude IMO. She is now in Sydney and alot happier I hear, as the majority of people she works with are foreigners - asians etc.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Racist? Maybe not, but very rude IMO. She is now in Sydney and alot happier I hear, as the majority of people she works with are foreigners - asians etc.
My observation is that negative reaction to migrants is the least where the numbers of migrants are the greatest. To wit: Sydney
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
polly why do people come to a country and then not like it... or the people.?...i don't understand this either
Can't speak for anyone but myself - I married an Aussie, that's why I came here. I dodn't come for love of the country or it's people in general, and I can't force myself to love it now I'm here, I can only live with it and make the best of it. If we went to the UK The Bloke would be in the position I'm in here - that's just life I'm afraid. Not a conscious decision not to like it, or not to fit in, many aspects of life here just don't suit me.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banksia
My observation is that negative reaction to migrants is the least where the numbers of migrants are the greatest. To wit: Sydney
And the only place in Australia to have had a real race-riot!

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 5th 2008 at 6:19 am.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:18 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of ours ( an Aussie ) said.. She doesnt dislike anyone in particular, she hates everyone Equally !
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

hawkshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't speak for anyone but myself - I married an Aussie, that's why I came here. I dodn't come for love of the country or it's people in general, and I can't force myself to love it now I'm here, I can only live with it and make the best of it. If we went to the UK The Bloke would be in the position I'm in here - that's just life I'm afraid. Not a conscious decision not to like it, or not to fit in, many aspects of life here just don't suit me.
I'm also here because I married an Aussie. If I hadn't met her the thought of living here would never have occurred to me and like you I make the best of it. There are things I love about the country and its people and things I don't. But then the same applies to the UK and other places I've been in the world so it's no big deal.

I personally have never met any prejudice from Aussies against Poms. In fact I often introduce myself as a Pommy B* and that seems to break any ice there might otherwise have been.

The biggest prejudice I have witnessed has been directed against Aborigines. Muslims are not very popular amongst Aussies I know either but the Chinese are quite liked, so it may be because of religion rather than race. I dunno.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Most white, English speaking or European immigrants will have no problem if they are prepared to assimilate and integrate.
Some non-white immigrants are resented - sometimes justifed, mostly not.
Australia is like any other Western Country - there is racism, some mistrust of foreigners etc.

I would agree to this. I was at a BBQ on Australia day and my bosses Daughter was moaning about the amount of immigrants around were she lives, Fitzroy in Melbourne. I jokingly said "thats right blame it on us foreigners" to which replied "Ho you don't count your white"

This didn't come from a silly all flag waving aussie teen, but from a mature woman who holds a responsible job.

I always give as good as I get when called a pom and I reckon most aussies want to be one too, well thats what I tell them
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:21 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by why
i think it is amazing how tolerant australians are to pommy immigrants.....where i work there's an over abundance of poms who moan all the time...i haven;t heard a bad word said about them by any of the australian workers...in fact they are really nice to them despite the poms running down the job, the pay,the way of life,the shops,the weather...well everything

there is a constant flow of poms coming here..and i have to say of my twenty years..they are getting more and more whingy.....and have too high expectations
by reading this site it seems to be for all the wrong reasons and the wrong time in their lives...i think it would be mad to come here after your 30 and with kids...should have done it when you were young and not set in your ways.....

in 20 years all i have eve got is respect from australians and a true interest in me as a person
i almost feel like saying (as an Australian) don't come here and moan!!!!!
at least Ozzie's don't whinge as much
i suspect that there's a lot of people living here in australia who don't even know any Australians anyway
i don't want to get bitter....but i have read some stories here of going off to australia running it down and then going back

WHY BOTHER....go and live in bognor regis it would be much cheaper
I have noticed too the difference in the pommy migrant these days. High expectations and wanting everything straight away. This is a different country and you are going to notice the different shopping and of course food stuffs you get used to or like, and you either can't buy them or substitute and they taste different. A bit off thread but I do not understand the missing of Bisto gravy or birds custard powder
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
"Ho you don't count your white"
Charming
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I've found plenty of derogatory comments re Asians, blacks, Aboriginal people and basically anyone non-white. But then this is Qld, they're not exactly known for their all embracing, tolerant, worldly attitudes LOL!!

Fine if you're a Pom or South African though - of which there seem to be quite a few - on the whole, just a bit of banter.

Last edited by rabsody; Feb 5th 2008 at 7:28 am. Reason: shouldn't stir!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
We have been here almost a year, and no problems at all!
We have been welcomed and been made to feel welcome, our local church is awesome too, really helped with settling in.
Is alcohol allowed there?

For me, no issues.

It's only timewasters that have issues.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
well where else can they go????

do you remember an monty python sketch were a women lures a milkman into her bedroom and it's full of old milkman who have been prisoners in there and she locks the door?

well i think that's what it's like for some poms they get locked in...and moan and moan and moan about...
the temptation of paradise.....then crap.........

there's a bit of a secret to emigration

IT'S NOT THE SAME COUNTRY

i think it is amazing how australians put up with the pommy immigrants

they act like no other immigrants...
There's an element of truth in this. There are stacks of migrants who integrate and keep their own culture who don't carry on like some Poms(!)

I feel sorry for Australia in some ways with a minority of migrants.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fraser
They don't mind new immigrants just hate S.E asians.
Just about everyone I work with is SE asians. They are pretty good - very good - but occasionally the comms skills let them done.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:48 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tayella
Go to Australia and be Australian - Simple.
Dont forget your roots as they are important but if you stick to your own then your only being Polish or Nigerian but in a different country.
My advise is MINGLE WITH EVERYONE!
I aint getting into any arguments about what ive said, its just how I feel and its my right to have that opinion.

Chris
Where is the line drawn between becoming Australian and not forgetting your roots? Just interested because it seems it would be a hard one to draw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.