Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:51 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But we DO have iron-ore, shit-loads of it - and LNG, Gold, Nickel, Coal, Uranium and more. It's like saying 'if Saudi Arabia had no oil they would be a basket-case. Well duh'. Australia is about 15th in the World in terms of gross GDP. You only have to finish in the top 20.

Just because an Aussie holds an opinion about Australia does not mean they know what they are talking about.
This is what I love about this forum. No matter who much you try to be nice and offer alternative views (even when they are not your own and you explain that) there is always someone waiting in the wings to punch you in the gut and tell you you're wrong

Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
This is what I love about this forum. No matter who much you try to be nice and offer alternative views (even when they are not your own and you explain that) there is always someone waiting in the wings to punch you in the gut and tell you you're wrong

Err, it's called 'debate'.
You are wrong btw.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Interesting these last few posts. I had a long chat with a really lovely intelligent Aussie family last night when I went to pick up my boys from an after school play date. I should mentioned that these guys are as Aussie as can be but have in their lives lived outside Australia, in Hong Kong and the UK. So they tend to have a slightly less rose coloured view of the country

We were chatting about everything from the new series of Lost to currency fluctuations and the housing market. I mentioned that I have been quite concerned about the total instability in the Currency and Housing space, let alone the price of petrol changing on a daily basis. We have seen quite massive (in my book) fluctuations in the last year over here on all those fronts.

My mate shook his head and said, "you're not alone". Apparently Australia has the rough GDP of Iowa and without Iron exports we would likely be in a recession already. A "blip on the radar" is how he described the Australians impact on the world economy. I should mention that I am not an economist and I am certainly not qualified enough to comment on his statements but I though it was interesting that a "full on" Aussie would be slagging his own country off to that extent and basically saying that they have an "over inflated opinion of themselves and their impact on the world stage". While this might be a little true I ended up kind of defending Australia. I suggested that if we removed all the singers, songwriters, bands and actors from the "worlds stage" that if would be much worse off. He agreed and said that Australia contributes to the world in other ways (ACDC, Kangaroo's, Vegimite, Kylie, Barbies, etc), but that financially "we" are effected by everything that happens in the world.

Didn't make me feel any happier about conceivably throwing our life savings into a country which is financially so volatile.
The Australian economy is a very stable, resilient economy it was voted the most resilient economy in the world for the 5th consecutive time in 2006. In fact when the Asian economies collapsed fuelled by the recession in Japan, the Australian economy was the only one in the region that continued to grow. It doesn’t solely rely on iron ore, The mining sector contributes about 16% to the overall economy, that’s the whole mining sector not just iron ore. The service sector is the driving force. As far as being a player in the world economy, it is a major player in the Asia region, the region it plays in, if the Australian economy collapsed it would be felt in Asia. Just as Britain is a major player in the European sector, its collapse would be felt in Europe but would have little effect on Australia. There are only a couple of countries in the world where their economies have an effect on all of us the world over, the USA (you only have to look at what is happening with the stock market at the moment because the US has sneezed) and the emerging giant China. So Australia isn’t ‘affected by everything that happens in the world’ it is affected by what happens within its region and as every country is, it’s affected by the US economy.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:25 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Err, it's called 'debate'.
You know what, I have been in a few debates before and none of them had to result in people being as offence as some of these posts.

"There should be no apology and no compensation - ever. The Aboriginies got their arses kicked 200 years ago. They lost and need to deal with it and move on"
That statement tells me everything

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 8th 2008 at 8:29 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You know what, I have been in a few debates before and none of them had to result in people being as offence as some of these posts.

"There should be no apology and no compensation - ever. The Aboriginies got their arses kicked 200 years ago. They lost and need to deal with it and move on"

The fact that he's a South African should fill in a few gaps too ...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Why's that? You know nothing about me or what I believe in.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Form your own opinions and do your own research. Don't just pass on some random person's opinions as fact.

That statement is how I see history. One of the great things about history is that it can be seen from many different perspectives - and that's how I see it.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:58 pm
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not really. Several of my longest and closest friends are South African and I have always found them to be immensely kind and friendly people. To be honest I have personally found the stories about racist South Africans to be pretty much a myth.

Why's that? You know nothing about me or what I believe in.
Actually I think I know all I need to know about you from your statements here. I'm not really interested in the spin you try and put on them after you have made them
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Actually I think I know all I need to know about you from your statements here. I'm not really interested in the spin you try and put on them after you have made them
You know nothing of me and I know nothing of you. I stand by everything I post and If I get it wrong I will say so.

Stop being so sensitive - this is a public forum for heavens sake.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. Several of my longest and closest friends are South African and I have always found them to be immensely kind and friendly people. To be honest I have personally found the stories about racist South Africans to be pretty much a myth.
Yea? I've found the 'myth' to be pretty damned accurate in more than a few instances. Apartheid was only dismantled in 1990 - it's hardly ancient history.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hello!

I've been wondering about how the ozzies feel about immigrants? In the UK, we are always hearing rants about immigrants and how they are a drain on the economy, using up schooling and taking jobs etc etc

I was just wondering if those emigrating from the UK to Australia come up against the same kinds of dislike and discrimination?

Thanks.
IT DOES HAPPEN, MUCH THE SAME AS IN UK.

MY SON WAS EXCLUDED FROM A "SOCCER GAME"(ENGLISH FOOTBALL) BY KIDS AT SCHOOL, SAYING THEY WANTED AN ALL AUSTRALIAN GAME......THIS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ACCEPTABLE IN HIS OLD SCHOOL IN ENGLAND. THE HEAD SAID THAT THEY WERE JUST KIDS (AGE 10-11-12). NOT AN EXCUSE AS MINE HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP NOT TO JUDGE THE RACES AND COLOUR, (JUST THE GOVERNMENTS THAT STIR UP THE TROUBLE!)

ALSO IN RURAL AREAS AS THEY ARE NOT USED TO IT. MORE TOLERENT IN THE CITY AREAS AS THERE ARE LOTS OF OTHERS FROM ALL AROUND THE WORLD, OR THAT IS AS I HAVE FOUND IN SYDNEY AND MELBOURNE.

NOT VERY NICE WITH THE BOOT ON THE OTHER FOOT.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Would like to be a fly on the wall when you tell them you are there to improve Australia!
ME TOO!! ITS PERFECT ALREADY ISNT IT?!!! LOL
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
ALSO IN RURAL AREAS AS THEY ARE NOT USED TO IT.
I agree that it probably is much the same as the UK (people are people are people) - but I live rural here and my son and family have experienced no prejudice whatsoever. Met plenty of aussies who are less than inclusive towards the indigenous population however ...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

Most white, English speaking or European immigrants will have no problem if they are prepared to assimilate and integrate.
Some non-white immigrants are resented - sometimes justifed, mostly not.
Australia is like any other Western Country - there is racism, some mistrust of foreigners etc.
Can I go to australia, get a coucil house, income support, sit on my butt all day and get paid for it???

Its fact and people dont like it. And the only way to avoid is to leave the country..............

I dont mean to offend anybody but thats just my opinion. When you do it legally , Its made very difficult, but lets just admitt it GB is a soft touch and even if you've never contributed. Everything is handed on a plate
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
Can I go to australia, get a coucil house, income support, sit on my butt all day and get paid for it???
No.....and nor can migrants to the UK.

The only people who may get this are genuine asylum seekers...and they do this in Australia as well.

Stop reading the Daily Mail and listening to pub gossip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.