Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:20 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Originally Posted by fraser
It's a bloody weird day as I actually agree with you
bloody hell Fraser what's going on?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:22 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
bloody hell Fraser what's going on?
Not sure, I think I'll go back to bed and get up again as it can't be healthy
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sulk away you deserve it, all coppers are wankers and what you really deserve is to stick his speedgun where the sun don't shine but sulking will have to suffice
Agree. They are state revenue collectors. If we had no crime then they should go after speeders but until then they should stick to catching crooks.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:06 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

... cut to smug looking traffic police cop...

"There's a reason behind everything we do"

... cue noise of cash register ringing...KERCHING!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)-reason.jpg  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:52 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

Meelie, legally in oz you have something like 200-250 metres to reduce your speed to the limit when it changes.

So if you're traveling along at 90km/h and the speed changes to 70km/h, you had atleast 200 metres within the 70km/h zone, after the sign, to reduce your speed from 90 to 70.

The cops can't ping you in this area.

You don't need to reduce your speed on approach, although people often do.

So in other words, you had atleast 200 metres to reduce your speed. Thats just a matter of taking the foot of the accelerator.

You obviously didn't

You lowered your speed, but not by enough.

If, for some reason, the cop pulled you over in the first 200 metres of the change of speed zone, the ticket is not valid and you have grounds to fight it. The judge would throw this out of court and call the cop a knob for wasting everyones times.

I highly doubt this occured though, as the cops usually have these spots well worked out.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's irrelevant to me but if you know that the speed drops like that, wouldn't it be automatic that you slow down before
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:41 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Just arrived home to find out we've got one, well Rachel did anyay

Just realised where it was a road just round the corner from us that is surrounded by fields and is 80 km all the way along apart from a small stretch which is 60, it has no reason to be 60 as the road doesn't change.

Last edited by fraser; Apr 4th 2007 at 4:48 am.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:55 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Just arrived home to find out we've got one, well Rachel did anyay

Just realised where it was a road just round the corner from us that is surrounded by fields and is 80 km all the way along apart from a small stretch which is 60, it has no reason to be 60 as the road doesn't change.
Mr GG got a fine and 1 point on his licence for driving at 77 kmph in a 70 zone (on a highway, not a road with pedestrians). Given that car speedometers only show denominations in 10kmph, it seems a little harsh. How do they know that all car speedometers are calibrated that exactly? Why not a level of grace?

(FWIW, Mr GG was overtaking another vehicle at the time - he was moving into the outside lane, so sped up a little to make the manoeuvre safe. Once he'd passed the truck, he dropped his speed back to 70. Stoopid interpretation of the rules can lead to unsafe driving - would they prefer people to drive even closer than they already do, rather than leave safe gaps?)

Last edited by Geordie George; Apr 4th 2007 at 4:58 am.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Mr GG got a fine and 1 point on his licence for driving at 77 kmph in a 70 zone (on a highway, not a road with pedestrians). Given that car speedometers only show denominations in 10kmph, it seems a little harsh. How do they know that all car speedometers are calibrated that exactly? Why not a level of grace?

(FWIW, Mr GG was overtaking another vehicle at the time - he was moving into the outside lane, so sped up a little to make the manoeuvre safe. Once he'd passed the truck, he dropped his speed back to 70. Stoopid interpretation of the rules can lead to unsafe driving - would they prefer people to drive even closer than they already do, rather than leave safe gaps?)
It's a joke mate, eevry time you drive down that road you have to speed up as someone sits on your arse, there could have been any reason for it.

God knows where the camera was as there is just fields full of sheep either side.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Got my first speeding ticket!!! (moaning thread)

Originally Posted by meelie
As for hiding behind bushes and at the bottom of hills where cars have naturally speeded up because of the descent, aren't they supposed to display that they are monitoring speeders?
No, they are not. One reason for this is that the locations of speed cameras are usually publicised on local radio (and other media sources), so it's not very difficult to find out where they are.

When I lived in Perth, all you had to do was watch a few minutes of TV, as Multanova locations were given at the end of the evening news. Failing that, you could switch on your car radio and tune to 96FM.

I'm sure Brisbane has something similar.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:26 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

After 25 years of fine free driving in the UK I am now up to two speeding tickets and 2 points on my licence!

The first ticket was for doing 84kmh in an 80kmh area Pathetic and picky. KERCHING goes the cash register at the cop shop.

I agree the second was legit, my own stupid fault, I wasn't paying attention to my speed and I did 71 in a 60 limit. Fair cop. Still pi**ed though.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:27 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Doesnt matter what time of the morning or what days it was at the end of the day YOU WERE SPEEDING!!!!
And I bet you're so perfect your sh*t doesn't stink
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meelie
NO I was reducing my speed to that of the speed zone I had entered actually! It equates to about 5mph over the limit, big deal! Its all about revenue for the police.
when i had to retake my test when i came over i was told that by the time you reach a sign i.e. the 70km, you had to have reduced your speed to that km per hour at that point. i think in the uk you are granted a certain grace after the sign to slow down to that speed. not so here.

i live in kenmore meelie, just near you - isn't a nightmare round here for these loser, fat b*Stard speeding cops?

it's 100% revenue raising, which is why they sit at the bottom of hills, waiting for people to go 5km over the limit - when are the aussie people going to get it - it's nothing to do with safety grrrr!!!!!!!!

meanwhile, the damage to reputation of the police amongst the community = priceless.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
i think in the uk you are granted a certain grace after the sign to slow down to that speed. not so here.
Nope. My hubby was fined £60 and got 3 points for going at 34 miles per hour where the speed limit dropped from 50mph to 30mph. You do have 10% grace though, so really he was fined for going 1mph too fast!.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:40 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Perth cops have stopped giving out the multinova locations recently (or if they haven't yet they will soon as they said so on the radio a few weeks ago).

Alot of it is revenue raising. I like cops and think they have a tough job for very little pay/protection, but the speeding fines are generally just money-earners.

For instance, there is a section on Railway parade near Belmont which goes from 60 to 50, for no real reason. There is a small hill, but 60 is a fair limit for the section (in an industrial area). The cops always hide there just at the other side of the hill (which you have to accelerate just to get over it), as they know they will nab alot of people that way. Like they nabbed me once. Now my engine struggles trying to get up the little hill at 50, and I have people beeping me from behind, but I`m not gonna get caught there again.

I think speed limits here tend to be too slow (except for the 40kmh around school zones... should be picked up in the UK too). While there are alot of really bad hoony drivers here screaming around, the police don't seem to get them much. I hear the tyres screeching every night in Thornlie, as they race along Burslem drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.