Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Old May 29th 2008, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Havent got time to read this whole thread, so sorry if I repeat points someones made, but weve just done the child in hospital thing something which would send you back to the UK, if anyones bagging the NHS, look again !!

Couple of points then we sold an acerage last year, obviously not cheap and with the improved exchange rate that type of money would now buy a very nice house in the UK, in a good area, so cant deny we havent looked at it too, despite having supposed to have made a firm decision to stay. The difference in housing/ exchange gives a very different picture to when we came in 2000 and OZ houses were sub $200,000.

Distance, theres 5 of us, australia distance wise is the arse end of the planet, airfares are totally freaking ridiculous for a family to go back to UK, with oil prices going up, if your going to live here you aint gonna travel far and I am not one to be content with yet another camping trip to some beach/set of gum trees that looks like this one. I like travel I dont want my kdis to grow up deprived of what goes on in the rest of the world.

One of our kids is 14, at the moment many kids we have known here for 6/7 years are going seriously off the tracks, so were under no illusions all the same teenage crap that goes on in the UK is here too, the one whos 21 has done well here, but so many of his school mates from grade 11/12 have pretty dead end lives/jobs. That makes me wonder if getting back into the real world would give the kids more opportunites in life, a big question especially for the OP being in Perth.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I'm going back a bit now, but when my daughter was in Year 9 we decided to let her go to UK to stay with grandparents for a few months, before she had to knuckle down for her HSC.

When we arrived in Oz she was 2 years ahead of her peer group (she had been at private school in UK). She went to catholic girls school in Oz, and when she returned to UK for a few months, she was well ahead of her peer group in UK!

At the end of the day, it depends on each child's capabilities and support from parents. All of her friends in Oz left school going on to Uni or college or got good decent jobs - I don't know of anyone of her friends ending up in dead end jobs. A lot of them have also travelled throughout Europe and the Americas so from my point of view, the kids are better off finishing their education in Australia.

She's now going back to Australia with her own two children, I for one am glad she is for their sake. I feel confident that they will do well at school and socially and the experience will be with them always. I hope they stay, the youth culture here right now is diabolical, and I don't want my grandchildren to end up here - once they've experienced Australia, who knows they may want to be even more adventurous. From what I have read, the culture in Australia is also changing, but I still feel it is a better place for young people than here right now.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:55 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Oops, thought I was on my account - so above comment from Homewardbound is actually from me!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

stevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by renth
My Mrs wants to move back to the UK, has done since we've been here - 5 years now.

With the exchange rate at almost 2:1 and house prices falling in the UK, possibly going to crash you can get a lot of house for your money.

I like the thought of a big house in the country BUT what if there's going to be a huge recession? I don't fancy being on the dole.

Your thoughts....
We came back because we had to. I would say visit but dont dream of returning. The employment situ is good but the lifestyle and cost of living is terrible. Britain has seen its best years, the future looks bleak.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:30 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey Renth this thread has so shocked me. Not read all of it so i apologise if ive got anything wrong.

Really hope you can work things out. To be honest I wouldnt think earning 25k living in the south would be enough to live on. It would be tough enough up here. Both of us have to work full timeand earn more than that but its still a struggle even with only 1 child. I suppose it depends if you have a mortgage or not and what lifestyle you want.

Can you come back for a holiday to see if it is everything your wife thinks it is? It has changed a hell of a lot in 5 years.

All the very best luck.

Joexx
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who sent their good wishes and gave their advice.

Some light at the end of the tunnel. My wife went to visit a new friend who lives in Chittering Valley and guess what? It looks like she has fallen in love with the area.

We drove up there yesterday to look at 5 acre blocks, most properties there have paddocks, horses, views. It's lovely.

It looks like my wife's "plan B" might be a move to Chittering - that will suit me fine, I'd love to get out of Legoland and go rural .

I really don't need all the stress I've been through lately though.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Some light at the end of the tunnel. My wife went to visit a new friend who lives in Chittering Valley and guess what? It looks like she has fallen in love with the area.

We drove up there yesterday to look at 5 acre blocks, most properties there have paddocks, horses, views. It's lovely.

It looks like my wife's "plan B" might be a move to Chittering - that will suit me fine, I'd love to get out of Legoland and go rural .

Glad that it looks like you may be able to reach a compromise Renth - I hope it goes ok.

S
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:15 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Renth Hope it all works out.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Fantastic, wishing you the very best,, enjoy a new chapter in your lives

Bluekipper
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:05 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Private schooling would be out of the question in the UK. I wouldn't want to send my kids there even if I could afford it.
Not withstanding the high fees in the UK why is private schooling an option in OZ but not the UK?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mrs wants to move back to the UK, has done since we've been here - 5 years now.

With the exchange rate at almost 2:1 and house prices falling in the UK, possibly going to crash you can get a lot of house for your money.

I like the thought of a big house in the country BUT what if there's going to be a huge recession? I don't fancy being on the dole.

Your thoughts....
Got to ask yourself why everyone is moving out, ever thought of a another country in europe? Big house not everything,
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:32 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai
Not withstanding the high fees in the UK why is private schooling an option in OZ but not the UK?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:02 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope so Renth just to give you some prices ...

we still own our 3/4 bed semi near Chichester, value (as of this week for mortgage purposes) 315,000. Our mortgage is just under 80k, 14 years left, 6.19% straight repayment = 748.00 per month

how the hell do people survive on big mortgages ??

my mate filled up his car last week, volvo estate, nothing fancy .... 107.00!!!!!!!!! you've got to be kidding!

On 25k per year you'd be comitting financial suicide back in the UK, specially down in Sussex. And that stress to me is far worse than homesickness.

Hope you guys sort it out.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

We have English friends who moved to the Chitterings last December. On acreage with pool, chickens, etc. They absolutely love it!

HTH
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
We have English friends who moved to the Chitterings last December. On acreage with pool, chickens, etc. They absolutely love it!

HTH
Yes it looks very nice, not many bogans like you get in some places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.