Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Wikiposts

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by perksy
Dont you think everyones missing the point here.

oz has a much tougher set of criteria to get in. The uk doesnt.

Migrants coming into the uk from inside the eu can take full advantage of the benefits system. FFS we have eastern europeans coming here and claiming child benefit for kids in poland, romania, some other eastern european shithole.

Can you imagine this happening in oz?
That sucks....Is it true? or Daily MAil scaremongering though?
Also remember you have 60 million people paying into that system, Oz has 20 million, plus we pay a lot of extras for health and dentistry, toll roads, GST and stamp duty etc etc on top of just tax an N I.

Its totally swings and roundabouts though I reckon. We have bludgers here by the thousand, assylum seekers, people trashing the system, fuel going up, interest rates sky high, jobs going blah bla blah.
Same shit, different bucket. Depends on what kinda bucket you like at the end of the day I guess...
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
First Home Buyers Grant anyone?

Baby bonus anyone?

$12k right there.....and they don't have to have contributed any taxes and could head off back home in 6 months.

Think again.
But people get the baby bonus as they don't get the initial healthcare injections etc paid for like you would in the UK.
$12k is the maximum you can get in total over 5 Years
On the birth of a child the benefit is $4000. Which won't get you very far with a sprog. To believe people only have kids to get the Baby Bonus is all a bit too Today Tonight for me. :0
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
But people get the baby bonus as they don't get the initial healthcare injections etc paid for like you would in the UK.
On the birth of a child the benefit is $4000. Which won't get you very far with a sprog. To believe people only have kids to get the Baby Bonus is all a bit too Today Tonight for me. :0
I've got no problem with the Baby Bonus...the point I was making was that new migrants to Aus do have access to public funds as soon as they arrive, which was in response to another post. So what I'm saying is that you could arrive in Aus, qualify for both of these grants immediately, never work and leave a few months later without having to pay anything back.

I suspect people complaining about the UK welfare state would in principle be in favour of only Aus citizens being eligible for these benefits - although you can bet your life they'll be claiming them when they get here!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:18 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
Errm, sorry but thats wrong.

All injections, baby care (except prescriptions ) are fully funded - here in Vic anways.
There is way more than 12K. You are entitled to all of the child care stuft too.

Today tonight? God I wish that were true! I know a 19 yo who is thrilled shes pregnant cos her and her dumb wit BF are gonna get a new car! (they still live with parents...)

Its to SLIGHTLY make up for the fact that theres NO MATERNITY pay overhere!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

To get back on track,Renth,i wish you well in your decision.
donna
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:28 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna
To get back on track,Renth,i wish you well in your decision.
donna
Thanks Donna.

We're going back in a few days time for a visit. With any luck my wife will have her handbag snatched by an Albanian and it will rain all the time.

That ought to put things in perspective.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:32 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Thanks Donna.

We're going back in a few days time for a visit. With any luck my wife will have her handbag snatched by an Albanian and it will rain all the time.

I'm sure you could set up a few "bad experiences". This could have the makings of a good old British farce. You could sell the film rights.

Hope you have a good time but not too good.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:32 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Donna.

Wry smile from Melbourne
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:42 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Wry smile from Melbourne
Last year she got spat on as we went under Tower Bridge on a boat trip, that didn't phase her at all. I got chewing gum spat on me by a different person as we made our way back upstream.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Last year she got spat on as we went under Tower Bridge on a boat trip, that didn't phase her at all. I got chewing gum spat on me by a different person as we made our way back upstream.
That's disgusting. Sh*theads!

Anyway, at least your trip back might put your wife's mind at rest to stay in Aus. Have fun!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 4:13 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Me here are some pointers in putting her off....
  • A day on public transport
  • Tesco in peak shopping time
  • A tour of top sink estates
  • Walking bare foot in any park of choice
  • Counting mothers under the age of 16
  • Make sure all of your clothes have that damp smell
  • Make sure her chest is damp so that she can remember the UK wheeze.
  • Get mugged at least once
  • Challenge a gang of littering children