Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Old May 27th 2008, 7:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
In relation to the Job and Housing market, your reporting an almost exact replica of what they are saying on the Palace boards.
Do you know my mate Battletank? He's a huge CPFC fan and I'm sure he runs or used to run their fan web site.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
No, especially when you factor in the additional cost of living 'London Tax'.
I'm going to have to impress on her in the strongest possible terms that she is going to have to get a job.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

London may seem expensive but I can't see that many areas of London are more expesive than where I have just moved to in Brisbane.......many of the houses in this neighbourhood are in the million+ bracket.

G
Old May 27th 2008, 7:27 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'm going to have to impress on her in the strongest possible terms that she is going to have to get a job.

May also want to consider your pension situation - I am guessing that you have had 5 years of Unisuper contributions, which would be a fair amount. If you moved back, then you wouldn't be able to continue contributing to that, unless you did so out of you post tax income. It would be a shame not to continue topping that up. Otherwise it will sit and you will gain less benefit from it when you retire. Moving countries is rarely pension friendly...

So if you impress on your wife that she may have to work, also impress on her the fact that she may have to work until later in life too...

S
Old May 27th 2008, 7:30 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Just done a search for similar sorts of jobs to what I'm doing. Jobs I think I'd stand a good chance of getting. They are all around 25 grand a year.
Not a hope in hell surviving on that (I reckon) !
Old May 27th 2008, 7:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

May also want to consider your pension situation - I am guessing that you have had 5 years of Unisuper contributions, which would be a fair amount. If you moved back, then you wouldn't be able to continue contributing to that, unless you did so out of you post tax income. It would be a shame not to continue topping that up. Otherwise it will sit and you will gain less benefit from it when you retire. Moving countries is rarely pension friendly...

So if you impress on your wife that she may have to work, also impress on her the fact that she may have to work until later in life too...

S
The pension/super (whatever you call it) system in Australia is far, far superior to what they have in the UK too IMO.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I really feel for you, it was me who wanted to return bk to the UK and I wish I had`nt

Your wife is hearing how great her mates are getting on and their kids, but do you think they are happy 100% of the time, bet they wish they had a bit of what you have, sun, sea etc

Your kids have roots in OZ now, its a shame to take them away from that now, I`d get some help for your wife, as sometimes the reality is, your not missing anything, you dont realise this until you get bk here!

Good luck with your decision
bluekipper
Old May 27th 2008, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

You have my sympathies Renth. My OH and son hate it here and want to leave.

I want to give it a go here but it's not easy when someone is ramming negatives down your throat 24/7.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

May also want to consider your pension situation - I am guessing that you have had 5 years of Unisuper contributions, which would be a fair amount.
True, 5 years of good contributions including a 17% employer contribution.

I won't get that back in good 'ol Blighty.

At least when I retire I can come back to Oz and sponge off the means tested old people's pension.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by midgetjan
You have my sympathies Renth. My OH and son hate it here and want to leave.

I want to give it a go here but it's not easy when someone is ramming negatives down your throat 24/7.
Yeah, it's crap isn't it? very stressful.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:36 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
London may seem expensive but I can't see that many areas of London are more expesive than where I have just moved to in Brisbane.......many of the houses in this neighbourhood are in the million+ bracket.

G
and many are not worth it. I still remember the shock of walking into a house in Brisbane valued at 500,000 and finding it had no kitchen. Literally no kitchen. There was a room in the middle of the house with bare floorboards (not even polished!), bare vj walls, no shelves or units or even a bench or sink. The only indicator that this room was the designated kitchen was the end of a copper pipe poking through the wall. The rest of the house was typical of a Queenslander that had not seen a paintbrush or hammer since the 70's. This was in 2004. Shudder to think what they would try and sell it for now.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:38 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by bluekipper
I really feel for you, it was me who wanted to return bk to the UK and I wish I had`nt

Your wife is hearing how great her mates are getting on and their kids, but do you think they are happy 100% of the time, bet they wish they had a bit of what you have, sun, sea etc

Your kids have roots in OZ now, its a shame to take them away from that now, I`d get some help for your wife, as sometimes the reality is, your not missing anything, you dont realise this until you get bk here!

Good luck with your decision
bluekipper
Thanks, it's not going to help that we are going back for a holiday next month. Doubtless it will be sunny and everyone will be happy to see us and a great time will be had by all, reinforcing the pull back to the UK.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's crap isn't it? very stressful.
Yes, we went back March/April for 6 weeks and it was unusually sunny. Needless to say, they have returned here 100 times worse than they were before.

I've never argued so much before in all my years. I hate what it's doing to my marriage but feel like I'm being blackmailed.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, it's not going to help that we are going back for a holiday next month. Doubtless it will be sunny and everyone will be happy to see us and a great time will be had by all, reinforcing the pull back to the UK.
I love it here and although I have no axe to grind with the UK (I didn't leave because I didn't like it there) I really cannot see us living there again. I know Sussex is a nice place to live but the rat race commuting, the traffic, the wanker pommy kids etc would just get me down. I think the future for average, middle class families is much brighter in Australia than it is in the UK and I can't see this changing in the forseeable future.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I love it here and although I have no axe to grind with the UK (I didn't leave because I didn't like it there) I really cannot see us living there again. I know Sussex is a nice place to live but the rat race commuting, the traffic, the wanker pommy kids etc would just get me down. I think the future for average, middle class families is much brighter in Australia than it is in the UK and I can't see this changing in the forseeable future.
I agree with you 100% maybe it would be easier if I were to just slash my wrists now and be done with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.