Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Wikiposts

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Old May 27th 2008, 7:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by renth
I agree with you 100% maybe it would be easier if I were to just slash my wrists now and be done with it?
I don't envy you in your predicament. These situations have the potential to tear families apart (although I'm not saying this would happen to you).
Old May 27th 2008, 7:55 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The pension/super (whatever you call it) system in Australia is far, far superior to what they have in the UK too IMO.
It's not superior to mine

G
Old May 27th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Thanks, it's not going to help that we are going back for a holiday next month. Doubtless it will be sunny and everyone will be happy to see us and a great time will be had by all, reinforcing the pull back to the UK.

Thats if it is sunny, were all happy here when its sunny regardless of everyday problems that we all have to endure! BUT the sun dont last for long here as you well know and we have to grab those short few days of sunshine we do have, and enjoy! I`m not saying were all miserable here in the UK, I`m definatley not, I got my job bk and hubby working, no debts etc BUT we do however miss OZ for the out doors lifestyle we used to have, we did so much more together because of it. I find the UK too overpopulated, were like sardines in a can, great if you afford to move to a lovely spacious suburb, not so great if you cant
Life is what you make of it at the end of the day tho!
Old May 27th 2008, 7:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
and many are not worth it. I still remember the shock of walking into a house in Brisbane valued at 500,000 and finding it had no kitchen. Literally no kitchen. There was a room in the middle of the house with bare floorboards (not even polished!), bare vj walls, no shelves or units or even a bench or sink. The only indicator that this room was the designated kitchen was the end of a copper pipe poking through the wall. The rest of the house was typical of a Queenslander that had not seen a paintbrush or hammer since the 70's. This was in 2004. Shudder to think what they would try and sell it for now.

Ours is valued at $700K+ and only has an outside toilet

We are in the process of renovating it.

Sorry Renth...not meaning to hijack.

G
Old May 27th 2008, 7:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's not superior to mine

G
Cool. For me it's better here.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Cool. For me it's better here.

It just shows that our individual circumstances can be so different.

My view is that, for the average 'middle class' family, there is little to choose between the two.

The weather is only better in Australia if you prefer it hotter and drier.......many don't.

For my individual circumstances, and living in the type of area I choose to live, there is little difference.

G
Old May 27th 2008, 8:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Grayling
It just shows that our individual circumstances can be so different.

My view is that, for the average 'middle class' family, there is little to choose between the two.

The weather is only better in Australia if you prefer it hotter and drier.......many don't.

For my individual circumstances, and living in the type of area I choose to live, there is little difference.

G
We are so much better off here. I earn much more and have a better job. My pension setup is better. I live in a nicer, bigger house on a nice piece of land. I can afford to send my son to one of the best schools in Australia. My commute is much easier and cheaper. Etc. I've been working since 1981 and I have never known economic conditions as good as they are today.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 27th 2008 at 8:16 pm.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:11 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

My Mrs wants to move back to the UK, has done since we've been here - 5 years now.

With the exchange rate at almost 2:1 and house prices falling in the UK, possibly going to crash you can get a lot of house for your money.

I like the thought of a big house in the country BUT what if there's going to be a huge recession? I don't fancy being on the dole.

Your thoughts....
Definitely the best time now.

The real issue is: what's around the corner 6-12 months from now?
Old May 27th 2008, 8:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

We are so much better off here. I earn much more and have a better job. My pension setup is better. I live in a nicer, bigger house ona nice piece of land. I can afford to send my son to one of the best schools in Australia. My commute is much easier and cheaper. Etc. I've been working since 1981 and I have never known economic conditions as good as they are today.
But then you are in an industry in demand.....my boy is an electrical engineer and is also doing well (in Qld).....not everybody is in the same situation.

Makes no difference to me as I am semi retired and doing OK

Good luck to you

G
Old May 27th 2008, 8:25 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Renth, don't you have any say in this?

Are your kids happy in Oz? Are you happy in Oz?

Surely your opinions need to be taken into consideration.
I think he has had a say if 5 years down the line and there still here when his wife wants to go home.

its not a easy situation it can drive family's apart ive been through the same.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My sympathies Renth. It's a bugger of a situation all right. Unfortunately during a trip back everyone is happy and excited and all over you. Move back and none of that happens, within months it's back to your family unit, in a house that is unlikely to be as big as you've grown to require, without the dog, possibly in a job that stops you doing all the stuff you're doing now and that M25 commute for hours every day.

There is no way a family of five, living in the South East of England would ever be able to survive on £25 grand.

You know your wife best, are the rose tints on or is she totally desperate? We had a majority rule law in our house. Three had to hate it before all four would consider moving back (had to cover our backs from first born). If one had hated it, basically it would have been tough poo. Saying that I have no idea how we would have actually dealt with the situation had it arisen so thank god it hasn't
Old May 27th 2008, 8:46 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There is no way a family of five, living in the South East of England would ever be able to survive on £25 grand.

That is so true. Mr PP and I were renting - couldnt afford nor get a mortgage for where we lived.

We were both working - no kids to consider and we really struggled.

I commute about the same time here as I did in London but it only costs me around £15 a week to do so. In London it was just under £50 a week, as we didnt drive.

Renth, I hope you sort it out.

Last edited by Cheetah7; May 27th 2008 at 8:49 pm.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Renth, I hope you sort it out.
Thanks, me too. The prospect of grinding poverty in the UK is something I'm not looking forward to. That will probably mean game over marriage-wise.
Old May 27th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsayc
We are in the u.k at the moment (off to Brisbane 31/8) - just like to say fuel prices are sky high at the moment which has a knock on effect to food prices, airfares etc.

Oh and our estate agent called us yesterday to say they'd gone bust! A relatively new business but they just haven't sold any houses! First time buyers not buying - have to think of your children's futures - will they be able to get on the housing market over here in 15 years time? The economy here is in a bad way.

Also crime etc - another 18 year old was stabbed to death at weekend.

You have to do what's right for all of you....
I don't see how it'll be possible for kids to get on the housing market here anytime soon either
Old May 27th 2008, 9:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsayc
have to think of your children's futures - will they be able to get on the housing market over here in 15 years time? The economy here is in a bad way.
Originally Posted by tictac
I don't see how it'll be possible for kids to get on the housing market here anytime soon either
No offence but that belief has been around since the year dot. I remember my parents saying the same thing when we were kids and being horrified when we told them how much we would be paying for our first flat. No doubt their parents probably thought the same. However kids do end up affording a home, if they want to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.