Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Wikiposts

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice
Default Re: Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
the lack of friendly, similar, neighbours........
On 30k....all not making the rent-lock your doors and windows really well.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Spoke to a friend back in UK the other day. His company are laying off 1/5 of employees. Fuel is £1.20/litre. He was full of doom and gloom. The recession is really beginning to bite.
Thats $150 AUD to fill my tank..............can't wait.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
On 30k....all not making the rent-lock your doors and windows really well.
Yes I appreciate all of this but when you're dealing with emotions al of that rationality tends to disappear.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to a friend back in UK the other day. His company are laying off 1/5 of employees. Fuel is £1.20/litre. He was full of doom and gloom. The recession is really beginning to bite.
Depends who you talk to. Most of my ex-work colleagues are doing really well. They have never earnt as much, or have been as busy as they are now. The skill shortage we have here in Australia is the same over there - albeit on a smaller scale. One of the younger Aussue guys in my team is heading back to London next month to work for Bechtel - for GBP45/hr.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jun 4th 2008 at 5:25 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:18 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One of the younger Aussue guys in my team is heading back to London next month to work for Bechtel in London - for GBP45/hr.
That's good? I would say that was chicken feed in London.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:21 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Renth - do you really think this will work? Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but living out there will have it's own issues which I'm not really sure will cure your wife's desire to go back to the UK - and actually might make her feel even more isolated. I think as Jad says - it might seem a great idea to start with but when reality kicks in - the isolation, the daily commute, the cost of fuel.......the lack of friendly, similar, neighbours........
I totally agree with you. Think very, very carefully before making a move out there if your wife is still feeling unsettled when you come back from the UK Renth. I know now that I would of gone out of my mind if we had moved out to the other side of Neerabup as planned before building in Iluka.

oh don't worry, living in London on 30K salary will have issues too.
Not quite the same though is it.

Thats $150 AUD to fill my tank..............can't wait.
Well that's good, 'cos you won't have long by the sounds of things. They reckon we'll be paying $2 a litre before the year is up.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:22 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you say that? I have family and friends in and around London who don't earn anywhere near that yet are doing well lifestyle wise.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's GBP93k a year. Probably more than GBP100k if you add in overtime - for a 27yo guy with less than 5 years experience. That's not chickenfeed to me - anywhere in the world.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:27 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Why would you say that? I have family and friends in and around London who don't earn anywhere near that yet are doing well lifestyle wise.
I don't think that's a good salary for London at all. I earned more living in a rural backwater. Maybe if you already owned a property there or bought many years ago when prices were lower, it would be manageable but if you were moving there to start afresh I think it would be a struggle.

It depends, of course, on ones age and expectations.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:28 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

for a 27yo guy with less than 5 years experience.
Yes, perhaps.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
What sums up London to me is the riverboat trip we took last July. We went under Tower bridge and some chav spat on my wife. 20 minutes later we went back under the bridge and a different chav spat her chewing gum on us.
That'll be one of those famous B.O.G.O.F. offers that the doom-and-gloomers claim to miss so much then...
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Renth - do you really think this will work? Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but living out there will have it's own issues which I'm not really sure will cure your wife's desire to go back to the UK - and actually might make her feel even more isolated. I think as Jad says - it might seem a great idea to start with but when reality kicks in - the isolation, the daily commute, the cost of fuel.......the lack of friendly, similar, neighbours........

I guess I should have said my kids/partner got sick of it, that may not apply to all families, dont want to put anyone off trying it.

We were lucky in that it was acerage very close to the beach, we could still nip to the beach with boards/dogs in 5 minutes drive, that was amazing for acerage. We bought the new mower and the kids were fighting over it at first, big novelty, but as the rains came and grass ( it wasnt lawn, native type grass, bloody feral stuff, would be up to your knees in a week ) mowing 2 acres of bog was left to me.

BUT some of the neighbours loved, it, some mowed all weekend , would splash out on these $13,000 mowing jobbies, didnt seem to bother them, think it was a bit of a lifestyle for some but I didnt want to keep on out there every week. The weeding was a bit unexpected too, bit of a chore . There was a lot of maintence involved, but I guess for us we simply prefered doing other things after a week at work. Made the horse comment as the neighbours teenage girls had horses, you could hear them screaming and fighting at 6 am as to who was going to muck them out etc it was funny as the snobby mother used to get them in the paper all dressed up for pony club, show jumping etc, but we saw the less glam side most mornings

I'd would have acerage again, but we certainly learnt a lot from the last one, some things were a bit unexpected, all trial and error I guess! TBH It didnt cure me being restless for the UK or overseas
but I didnt expect it too, just wanted another thing to try here I guess.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 4th 2008 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Yes, perhaps.
The majority of people in London or commuting there earn less than that - most of them a lot less.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:41 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I totally agree with you. Think very, very carefully before making a move out there if your wife is still feeling unsettled when you come back from the UK Renth. I know now that I would of gone out of my mind if we had moved out to the other side of Neerabup as planned before building in Iluka.
It won't happen for at least 18 months, it all depends on whether the boy gets in to our first choice school, which if he does then we'll stay in Iluka. If he doesn't then we'll probably move.

We did live rural in the UK, in Ashdown Forest and we all loved it. My Mrs loves horses too, as well as my daughters. I reckon it will be great.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:46 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Can I have some of that chicken feed please!
I would be there tomorrow for that salary.

That's GBP93k a year. Probably more than GBP100k if you add in overtime - for a 27yo guy with less than 5 years experience. That's not chickenfeed to me - anywhere in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.