Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a good time to move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
I know, the exception always makes the rule. Generally I would think it would be fair to say that a global financial capital would be buzzier than a backwater, albeit a cashed up one, in a desert miles from anywhere.
As for the cities you mentioned-If Bristol, Nottingham and Sheffield were vacated and bulldozed the world would be no worse for it.
Nottingham buzzy-I would say utterly tragic. Robin Hood would turn in his grave.
Two theatres, a great selection of pubs (one of which dates back to 1280), clubs and restaurants, two universities and you think its tragic?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway never said bigger means buzzy-just said don't be suprised if it is the case-suprised by the list of cities here mentioned in a positive kind of way-it appears buzzy too is highly subjective-I think utterly dreary would pretty much sum up all of them.
A city which has a 'buzz' to me is one where there is a feeling of something always going on, a place with energy and vibrancy.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:01 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
A city which has a 'buzz' to me is one where there is a feeling of something always going on, a place with energy and vibrancy.
Like Vegas?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Like Vegas?
Yeah, why not.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Two theatres, a great selection of pubs (one of which dates back to 1280), clubs and restaurants, two universities and you think its tragic?
Can you really quantify the concept of 'buzz'-i have been to Nottingham numerous times-I just don't find anything vibrant about it-I must say I find Perth far more vibrant, it really does appear to be subjective. I think the food in Nottingham is appalling too.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Cities in the UK I find 'buzzy'.(not that I care)

London
Glasgow
Cambridge
Liverpool
Newcastle-to some extent

In Australia
Sydney
Melbourne
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Cairns
Wollongong
Perth-to some extent
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Can you really quantify the concept of 'buzz'-i have been to Nottingham numerous times-I just don't find anything vibrant about it-I must say I find Perth far more vibrant, it really does appear to be subjective. I think the food in Nottingham is appalling too.
My wife went to university in Nottingham and she raves about the place. I must admit, on the few times I visited Nottingham, I couldn't see the attraction. Same with Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham. I do like Liverpool, Newcastle and Cardiff though.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My wife went to university in Nottingham and she raves about the place. I must admit, on the few times I visited Nottingham, I couldn't see the attraction. Same with Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham. I do like Liverpool, Newcastle and Cardiff though.
I lived there for 6 years and loved it. There are miserable aspects - St Anns, Clifton but I loved the 'buzz' of the city centre. One of the places where I'd live again.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cities in the UK I find 'buzzy'.(not that I care)

London
Glasgow
Cambridge
Liverpool
Newcastle-to some extent

In Australia
Sydney
Melbourne
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Cairns
Wollongong
Perth-to some extent
Haven't you just undermined your earlier point about size given that you included Cambridge and it's about one fifth the size of Perth?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:58 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I'm biased but consider Nottingham one of the better cities in England (I would stick Newcastle, Liverpool and London in the same bracket). It has a great nightlife (city/lace market/canalside), the hippy fella obviously never ate at Harts, Merchants, World Service or the multitude of top Indians in the city (maybe no tofu on offer). Sports wise it has 2 football teams, ice hockey team, rugby team and a county cricket club which all add to the city. Nottingham univeristy has historically been one of the most applied to universities in the country and Trent is also very popular.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/citylife/facts_1.shtml

Regarding the buzz in Brisbane see my first post on page 3.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I'm biased but consider Nottingham one of the better cities in England (I would stick Newcastle, Liverpool and London in the same bracket). It has a great nightlife (city/lace market/canalside), the hippy fella obviously never ate at Harts, Merchants, World Service or the multitude of top Indians in the city (maybe no tofu on offer). .
Oh God - I'm weeping - where is the weeping smiley?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Haven't you just undermined your earlier point about size given that you included Cambridge and it's about one fifth the size of Perth?
Fair enough-but I didn't say small cities can't be buzzy-and Cambridge is highly atypical as far as cities go.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Like I say, its all highly subjective-I love Glasgow-yet on this thread others say its very violent.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Like I say, its all highly subjective-I love Glasgow-yet on this thread others say its very violent.
I think some people are at cross-purposes. I like Glasgow also - I don't think that you could ever deny that it has a buzz.

Violence is a different matter. There's probably an argument that suggests that violence and buzz go hand in hand - i.e. you can't have the excitement and vibrancy without the 'edge' which most cities have.
I certainly don't think that violence precludes buzz.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I'm biased but consider Nottingham one of the better cities in England (I would stick Newcastle, Liverpool and London in the same bracket). It has a great nightlife (city/lace market/canalside), the hippy fella obviously never ate at Harts, Merchants, World Service or the multitude of top Indians in the city (maybe no tofu on offer). Sports wise it has 2 football teams, ice hockey team, rugby team and a county cricket club which all add to the city. Nottingham univeristy has historically been one of the most applied to universities in the country and Trent is also very popular.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/citylife/facts_1.shtml

Regarding the buzz in Brisbane see my first post on page 3.
Even better now the mighty reds are on the way back up

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.